Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Discontinued Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2007, 01:21 PM
boomerisnuts

Default Good pump marker?

Im thinking about playing pump because paintball is costing me too much $ and i cant play that frequently becasue of it. also i would enjoy a challenge since i know that is what im going to get if i play with a pump gun. it doesnt really matter what class the gun is since i would only be playing against my friends in their woods. What brands should i look at? Any suggestions for a specific model? i can spend $1-120. What is a good gun that i can upgrade? EDIT: i am not a big fan of 12 grams so please suggest guns that use co2 tanks. or if there is something that can adapt 12's to 20 can you let me know? i know nothing about pumps.
boomer
(woo! 100th post! now my mom can see how much time i "wasted" here instead of my H.W.)

Last edited by boomerisnuts : 01-30-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Default Re: Good pump marker?

* Mavericks and Trracers are decent markers about $60-$80 each. They both take bottled air.
* SL-68's are also decent at about $75-100 each...also CA...
* Old markers like the Sheridans made for Pursuit Marketing...PMI 68 Magnum, PMI SC (Stock Class), Piranha short and long barrels, PGPs (old school brassies) can run anywhere from $90 to $350...depending on condition...most of which take CA.
* WGP Snipers can cost between $100 and $300 depending on age, condition and upgrades.

Another thing to consider is age and parts' availability. All Maverick and Trracer parts are interchangeable but Mavericks seem to be more plentiful. Neither marker is produced any more but there are plenty of both markers out there to get parts from if you know where to look. PMI/Sheridan markers are < 23 years old and parts can be hard to find at all. Most of the time though, they are owned by those of us who appreciate the novelty of older stuff and therefore, take good care of them.

Another thing to consider is that many markers that are 12 gram stock fed, can be converted to accept constant air bottles. An example would be when the AGD 6-pack, ACI Turret changer and the Micro CAII came out. These were lever actioned 12 gram changers that came out around the same time/just prior to Constant air bottles. Since it's easier to use a CA bottle, the lever changers fell to the way-side and production was halted for lack of interest (and I don't know why...they were awesome in their day) or the sheer laziness factor of human nature. Whatever the reason, people and companies produced products to mount CA bottles on their formerly 12 gram markers. Phantoms are a good example of this but they are out of your posted price range at about $200-$300.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:09 PM
boomerisnuts

thanx for the info. out of all the guns you listed which one are you most satified with/ reccomend? after brushing up on some terms, i realized i want a gun that has iterchangelble parts an auto trigger and can except co2 tanks. Which one of the guns above will give me all of those things? EDIT:After looking at all the guns you suggested i think i am going to get an sl-68 auto trigger. Where could i find one? i tried ebay?

boomer

Last edited by boomerisnuts : 01-30-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Not dead yet!

all are good markers listed.

i would lean towards the Sniper or the Trracer/Maverick. both can use Cocker springs if the existing are kaput!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerisnuts
thanx for the info. out of all the guns you listed which one are you most satified with/ reccomend?
LMAO...to be absolutely honest, I'm extremely satisfied with all of them but for different reasons. I'll try to outline them for you though

* My PMI 68 Magnum (and Pirahnas, PGPs, etc) - Made from about 1984 to 1987 (?), most have a brass barrel that is connected (soldered?) to the brass air tube below it. The frame attaches to that bottome tube in normal fashion. It's a pump action without a ball detent and a very large bore. Mine has a factory equipped (an option at the time) velocity adjuster and rifle-like, open sights. It takes CA that mounts in the back. I like it because it's got weight. It's just as acurate as any new marker. It's a piece of history. It's a representation that the lightest, glossed annodized, fastest boarded marker isn't necessarily the 'best.' They have withstood the test of time and are still relished by historical connosoirs. There are companies like Punisher's who can perform refinishing and custom work on it but barrels are fixed and not much can be done with them..
* My Trracer (and other Mavericks) was made when companies went from brass to aluminum...sometime around 1988ish. They are workhorse markers, in that many fields still use them as rentals/loaners. They are light, have CA adapters in the back and have a spring for a detent to prevent roll-outs. They are also big bored to allow all paints but not very air efficient. There are barrels available, I know that J&J makes one for it...
* SL-68 - never owned one but used them plenty at area fields. Also work-horses, just like the Trracer/Macerick. Also not very air efficient but they are purty darned accurate.
* Autotocker pumps called Snipers - Never used one in a game but I have used mech framed and currently have a 2k1 mechy. They are very nice markers, although heavily bodied. Tim or Doug could chime in about the pumps...they are more knowledgable about them than I am

after brushing up on some terms, i realized i want a gun that has iterchangelble parts an auto trigger and can except co2 tanks. Which one of the guns above will give me all of those things? EDIT:After looking at all the guns you suggested i think i am going to get an sl-68 auto trigger. Where could i find one? i tried ebay?

boomer
Personally, I think you'll be very happy with a decently treated/maintained SL-68. If not, definately a Trracer/Maverick to get you started. You can learn a lot here:

M.CarterBrown Forum (click me)

because it is an excellent resource for info on older markers and parts. Check their B/S/T section...
Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Not dead yet!

ummm... they are still making PGP's. there is the 2k model that i made a review for on my site. still made of brass.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:42 PM
not a nublet, sheesh.

Where could ya buy one then eh otter?
Trinity Front block
IPS Sunbear Bolt
Dark Horizon titanium striker

Green/silver VSC CCI Phantom

Red/Black PMR SE
Old 02-02-2007, 07:16 AM
I wanna be formal but I'm here to party!

Just do what I did and pick up an S6........ oh wait........ sshhhhhh

JB.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned

I too am going into pump. Never letting my spyder go though.

I'm going with either a 2k2-2k4 cockers or a trilogy sport and putting a pupm kit on them. If you already have a cocker, you can get a pump kit for about 40 bucks on www.worr.com.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:04 PM

the only problem with the cocker is it just looks soo heavy for a pump. I think now that kingman has the VS2 they should bring back the hammer!