View Poll Results: etek vs rail
eclipse etek ego 8 40.00%
proto matrix rail 10 50.00%
other,which one? 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2007, 07:16 PM
MattWilson#17

Question etek vs. rail

etek ego or rail? if other then in that price range...less than 700 and plz tell which one and why
Old 01-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Has Been

Default Re: etek vs. rail

rail- Probably the Mid end spool valve that people want, because of the label, as well as trust in guns

Etek- the mid end not spool valve(idk what kinda valve it is)

Id take the rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Spyder Addict

I'd get a shocker or intimidator.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Resident *******

Alias Intimidators are $350-450 used now, and Shocker SFT's are about there too. Another option could possibly be a PM5.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 01-14-2007, 04:57 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

I have a shocker and a rail, and I can tell you this - although I haven't really played with the Rail yet other than just shooting it, if it stands up to playing hard as well as it shoots right now, my majorly UPGRADED Shocker is going to play backup to my totally stock Rail.

Now, I'm not one of those fanboys who thinks the Rail is going to be much better than any of those "high end" guns. I'm not into that at all. It drives me nuts when Ion owners do that. It also drives me nuts seeing people compare this gun to the ION. The only similarities is that it has composite polymer on the frame and feedneck, and it has breakbeam eyes, that's about it. However, it is a great gun, put out by a reputable company who apparantly has awesome customer service (never had to use it, so I don't personally know).

Just to qualify my previous statement, the Rail is lighter than the shocker. It's much more efficient than the stock Shocker - in fact, I was getting the same numbers out of my Rail as I get with my Shocker with the NDZ Stinger v3 bolt in it right now. Although neither have kick, my Shocker has what's called barrel rise - the barrel raises up when you shoot at a high rate of fire, nothing serious or even that noticeable, but the Rail has absolutely NO kick and NO barrel rise. It's ball on ball consistant. I shot a hopper at the field last weekend, and with the exception of a couple, the shot pattern was all within 10 - 12 inches. That's at a high rate of fire and the stock Proto 1 piece - not too shabby! My shocker had a loader full shot at about a 12-18 inch patter with a paint matched freak barrel on, but I attribute it to bad paint and that rise I told you about - still not bad, but not like the proto! The stock SFT board is not as versitile as the stock PMR board (PM7 board) having only semi and ramping. My Virtue has much more to it, but it cost 150.00 bucks - the rail board has 3 recorded modes and a secret/not so secret mode, so 4 modes all together (semi, PSP, Millenium ramping and NXL full auto).

I'm still not sure which is better so I'm going to have to play a bit more with them both. The Rail needs some care - it needs new parts to be better, but the stock gun is pretty amazing. Don't give me the "it's a plastic gun" bit, because it just doesn't matter on this gun. Seriously. Try one out and you'll see. It's not the best, but it's close to the best that I've shot before, and that's been a lot.

As far as the Etek - it's a lower level version of the EGO, yet still pretty expensive. Some people love EGOs. I personally didn't like shooting one. It didn't feel right. Oh, btw, to whoever wondered about the operation up there, the EGO isn't a spool valve, if I remember correctly - my friend has one, and I'm pretty sure it isn't. Too much kick and the bolt isn't enclosed, so I'm pretty sure it's a pin valve operation, but can't say for sure. The Etek may be though, as I haven't paid any attention to it.

After all that, it comes down to opinion. My opinion is that it's at least as good as my Shocker. I haven't shot an Etek, so I can't give you an opinion on that gun. My advice then is to read as much as you can on both guns - their problems, how great they are, reviews (I always read the bad ones first and try to sort out the ones that are just bruised ego's, pardon the pun), operation of both guns, ease of use, so on and so forth - I'll tell you right now, if you've never messed with a spool valve, and are going straight from a Spyder to the Rail, you're in for a treat when it comes to maintaining it! LOL! Much more complicated, but not difficult.

Then, after all your research is starting to sound the same, go out and actually shoot one. See which one you like better and get that one!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:04 AM
Has Been

vike vike we need TDLR's!

but what he said is alll true

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:12 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Nah, I thought about that, but the guy has a lot to learn and I wanted to be as thorough as possible for my opinion for him. It doesn't help that I'm teaching my class how to write a persuasive essay right now!

How's this? Cliff notes for the ADD.... Rail. Don't know about Etek. EGO not spool valve. Shocker is good, but may become second to my Rail. Intimidator's vike don't like. Research long time. Shoot both. Choose.

Man, that was harder than writing the first one! Now, If he doesn't read it, he needs to stick with his spyder, LOL!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:32 AM
Fluent in Stroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshadow
I have a shocker and a rail, and I can tell you this - although I haven't really played with the Rail yet other than just shooting it, if it stands up to playing hard as well as it shoots right now, my majorly UPGRADED Shocker is going to play backup to my totally stock Rail.

man, thats really saying something considering that the only thing stock on your shocker is the body...

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Yup, I know! This is the exact reason why I can't decide how I really feel about the Rail becoming my primary shooter.

To be honest, I tried going into this with a totally open mind as well so I wouldn't be swayed by any hype or anything. I'm telling you - the Rail is probably the BEST buy for a gun for the money out there right now. I mean, I honestly have a problem calling it a "high end" gun, but it's certainly not a mid level gun if I were to compare it to the Ions, promasters and wraths I've shot and the T1s I had. Those guns needed something to make it better be it triggers, eyes, rams, whatever. I mean, the Rail needs absolutely NOTHING to be a good performer, yet some of the parts are questionable and only further play will verify their durability, so that keeps it out of most "high end" categories. Someone called it a "lower-level high-end gun" - I just don't know what to call it. Guess we're going to have to get out of calling guns high, low or mid anymore, aren't we?

And here's the deal - if the Rail is the best gun for the money, and competes with my very upgraded shocker, then WHY do the so called "higher end" guns need to be that much more expensive?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:30 AM
PMR'er

Im voting for the rail, when i get the $ for it im gonna get 1 in olive dust. Its and affordable, ahs some upgrades out for it already. But the only complaints i know of on the rail though is the bad trigger and the bolt cap popping out.