View Poll Results: Proto Rail
Recommend! 14 77.78%
It is an alright product. 4 22.22%
Not recommended! 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2007, 11:11 AM
RaWr

Default Re: Vike's Proto Rail Review

If you dont mind Vike I will answer the Rail Vs. Mini Q.

I have shot both, like any marker comparison it is really hard to tell that one is better then the other fully. However I feel as if the Mini is more neat then it is a competitor. It is tiny, it is light but it is not really practical. It has an interesting feel to it but it does not feel like a real marker to me and that is my biggest problem with it, I also can see it being a PIA when it comes to teching. It really does not have any chance for upgrade either which is a serious -.

The PMR like Vike has stated is a competitor right out of the box, I do not care for the stock trigger but other then that it shoots very similar to its older brothers. It is fairly easy to tech, it has plenty of upgradeability. You will not hear me praise Dye markers very often but this time I think they did the market justice.
"If society is tranquil, it is not because it is conscious of its strength and its well-being, but because it fears its weakness and its infirmities; a single effort may cost it its life. Everyone feels the evil, but no one has courage or energy enough to seek the cure."
Old 01-03-2007, 02:36 PM
i am a noob

K ty guys

Marker Setup:
WGP Mini-e orracle
Evolution III
48/3000 HPA
Old 01-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Not a problem, RB! Thanks for inputing that as I really didn't have a good answer to give. However, I do have to say that what you said makes me think I wasn't so incorrect in my thinking.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Has Been

can you take the ASA off, or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:05 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Yes, you can. There's a grub screw that screws down from the inside of the frame, pushing down on the asa to hold it secure. You can also replace it with any ASA that can fit on a dovetail.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:23 AM
ryno enterprises

did the gun come with a rechargeable battery? and charger?
im thinking about getting one would you recommend it?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Has Been

no, you dont recharge the battery, pop in a new one i believe.

he likes it, so i bet he'll recommend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Like Hossy said, no rechargeable battery, but I bet you could find one at Radio Shack and use it.

However, while I would normally recommend something I really like, I don't recommend this gun to newer players because of it's operation and maintenance issues at the moment. I think soon, most of the issues will be resolved with it, but this first batch has a couple of issues (note, I haven't seen them on my gun personally, but others have played with theirs for awhile longer than me.) While it's a cheaper gun and super easy to shoot, cheaper ain't always easier! I know that's contrary to what most people say, and the main reason it's so cheap, but I think that people need to really consider this before buying any spool valve marker.

Do I recommend this gun? Yes! If you're a newer player though, it WON'T be as easy as the pin valve operation in the Spyder though. Get ready to learn! This gun has also proven to have leaking issues I've heard. I had a bit of a problem with it the first time I took it apart, but I just replaced some orings and it was fine. Others aren't so lucky, I've heard.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:55 PM
PMR'er

Vike u never answer if u chopped a ball. And how easy is it to take it apart?
Old 01-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Sorry! I forgot about that.

I still don't know if I chopped the ball or not. There wasn't very much paint on the outside of the bolt, and no pieces inside the gun. I think it was more due to old paint just blowing apart than chopping the balls. Until I get some new paint to shoot, I won't know for sure (we're having a bit of an ice storm right now, and it's supposed to happen again next weekend, so it may be awhile yet.) However, I'm going to say there were NO chops just because it doesn't make sense with the eyes on and my loader at level 3.

It's VERY easy to take apart. Just unscrew the bolt cap with the provided allen wrench (key) until it spins 360 degrees freely, then pull it out the back. The whole bolt assembly slides out, then you can separate the can from the manifold, remove an oring from the bolt and slide it free. Actually, it's MUCH easier to remove than my Shocker bolt. Howver, installing it is a bit more difficult, but not too bad. You just have to line up the set screw and make sure to get the box thing on the manifold lined up correctly.

I haven't had the reg apart yet, but it can't be any tougher than my old 04 Speed reg or even the Maxflo on my Shocker. The barrel takes FOREVER to screw on or off though - I counted...17 twists (not full twists, but how many times I had to turn my hand to get it on.) The Shocker barrels are so much easier - something like 6 or less turns...

The ASA comes off relatively easy, but I don't like that I have to remove the grips and the battery to do it.