Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Polls
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which phone would you pick?
Motorola Razr 12 66.67%
Motorola Blade 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default New phone

This is rather long, but bear with me - there is a point to this! See tl;dr at bottom if you're lazy!

Well, to start off with, I usually don't care about cell phones. Actually, I hate em! I was the guy that when asked what the single worst invention made in the 20th century was, said "The cellphone." You can't get away from anyone anymore - they're always right there in your ear. It really bugs me to see people driving down the road talking on them, people in malls bumping into each other while they talk without the slightest "excuse me" or whatever. My wife is constantly on her phone, and gets irritated that I don't like to talk on the phone (I don't even like talking on regular phones - face to face is the best for me!)

In fact, the ONLY reason I got one in the first place was because I got tired of running back to layaway at Wal-Mart to answer the phone when my wife forgot to write something on the list and she would call to tell me or to remind me of something, and even more importantly, so I don't have to walk ALL the way down the hall (literally on the other side of the building) to answer a phone call or call a parent when I'm at work...however, I also realize that in this day and age, a cellphone is not just a cool thing for kids, but sometimes a necessary evil.

That being said, I realize it's the "cool" thing for kids to have a cell phone. That, and I realize my oldest daughter is growing up....so I decided to put her on my plan and get her a phone for Christmas. Now, there will be rules, of course - due to my personality and the fact that she's only an 8th grader, there HAS to be rules involved. There is a reason other than "coolness" for her to have a phone, though. She's starting to do more social type things, like working concession stands at ball games, hang out with friends after school, stuff like that - and I remember back in the day, hating to rely on others (although it wasn't for a phone back then!) so I decided now would be a good time to get her one and maybe teach her some responsibility in the process (oh, yes, when she's old enough to work, she will pay her share of the bill! Hahaha!) So, I signed up under a new partner plan, got her the free Samsung phone (better than my current one) and am swallowing my pride and the weird feelings I have about my baby growing up....of course, I'm going to have Hell to pay on Christmas when younger sister (5th grader) sees she didn't get one!

But, this isn't what this thread is about - it's actually about getting a phone for myself. I currently have this cheap (as in free) phone I got when I (re)signed up on this plan - a Motorola V180. It's ok, but it's hard for me to hear on - too many concerts when I was younger, it's not really "comfortable" if you know what I mean, and although it's not given me any problems, I just don't care for it all that much. And like everyone else, I want to get new things as well - I am a gadget man, after all!

I can get a new phone at a discount in just 2 weeks (January 11) and I've narrowed it down to two phones. The first is the Motorola Blade. It's really small so it will fit in my pocket well, which is important to me. It's got features I really don't care that much for - a phone, some kind of music thing, so on and so forth, but I really like the idea that it's Bluetooth ready. It's 50.00, but there is a 50.00 mail in rebate involved.

The second phone is the Razr (sp?). Now, the guy told me that it's a pretty fragile phone, being so thin and all. However, he also told me that it's by far the best one as far as hearing goes - and it has good tone. It's also Bluetooth ready, and has the same things the Blade has that aren't too important to me. One more thing, it's a flip phone, which I've really come to like better than the standard form, although it's rather wide and tall - about the same height as the Blade when closed, so it's not that small. This is 100.00, but with the 50.00 rebate comes to only 50.00.

Now, my knowledge of these things are limited because as I've said, I'm not that worried about them, but I would really like to hear a bit better on them and I realize that if I get one of these phones, I'll be using it for a long time. However, I also realize the guy was a salesman and he may or may not work on commission - I don't know for sure, but it makes sense he would try to sell me one of the more expensive ones...

My question - and it may be a stupid one - has anyone had any experience with either one of these phones? How is the clarity on them (I realize this is probably different from company to company) and is there anything that makes one better than the other? Which would be the better deal? I don't need anything fancy like text stuff or internet - but if I'm going to do this, I want to get the best deal for my money....

tl;dr:

Well, to start off with, I usually don't care about cell phones. Actually, I hate em! I was the guy that when asked what the single worst invention made in the 20th century was, said "The cellphone." You can't get away from anyone anymore - they're always right there in your ear. It really bugs me to see people driving down the road talking on them, people in malls bumping into each other while they talk without the slightest "excuse me" or whatever. My wife is constantly on her phone, and gets irritated that I don't like to talk on the phone (I don't even like talking on regular phones - face to face is the best for me!)

In fact, the ONLY reason I got one in the first place was because I got tired of running back to layaway at Wal-Mart to answer the phone when my wife forgot to write something on the list and she would call to tell me or to remind me of something, and even more importantly, so I don't have to walk ALL the way down the hall (literally on the other side of the building) to answer a phone call or call a parent when I'm at work...however, I also realize that in this day and age, a cellphone is not just a cool thing for kids, but sometimes a necessary evil.

That being said, I realize it's the "cool" thing for kids to have a cell phone. That, and I realize my oldest daughter is growing up....so I decided to put her on my plan and get her a phone for Christmas. Now, there will be rules, of course - due to my personality and the fact that she's only an 8th grader, there HAS to be rules involved. There is a reason other than "coolness" for her to have a phone, though. She's starting to do more social type things, like working concession stands at ball games, hang out with friends after school, stuff like that - and I remember back in the day, hating to rely on others (although it wasn't for a phone back then!) so I decided now would be a good time to get her one and maybe teach her some responsibility in the process (oh, yes, when she's old enough to work, she will pay her share of the bill! Hahaha!) So, I signed up under a new partner plan, got her the free Samsung phone (better than my current one) and am swallowing my pride and the weird feelings I have about my baby growing up....of course, I'm going to have Hell to pay on Christmas when younger sister (5th grader) sees she didn't get one!

But, this isn't what this thread is about - it's actually about getting a phone for myself. I currently have this cheap (as in free) phone I got when I (re)signed up on this plan - a Motorola V180. It's ok, but it's hard for me to hear on - too many concerts when I was younger, it's not really "comfortable" if you know what I mean, and although it's not given me any problems, I just don't care for it all that much. And like everyone else, I want to get new things as well - I am a gadget man, after all!

I can get a new phone at a discount in just 2 weeks (January 11) and I've narrowed it down to two phones. The first is the Motorola Blade. It's really small so it will fit in my pocket well, which is important to me. It's got features I really don't care that much for - a phone, some kind of music thing, so on and so forth, but I really like the idea that it's Bluetooth ready. It's 50.00, but there is a 50.00 mail in rebate involved.

The second phone is the Razr (sp?). Now, the guy told me that it's a pretty fragile phone, being so thin and all. However, he also told me that it's by far the best one as far as hearing goes - and it has good tone. It's also Bluetooth ready, and has the same things the Blade has that aren't too important to me. One more thing, it's a flip phone, which I've really come to like better than the standard form, although it's rather wide and tall - about the same height as the Blade when closed, so it's not that small. This is 100.00, but with the 50.00 rebate comes to only 50.00.

Now, my knowledge of these things are limited because as I've said, I'm not that worried about them, but I would really like to hear a bit better on them and I realize that if I get one of these phones, I'll be using it for a long time. However, I also realize the guy was a salesman and he may or may not work on commission - I don't know for sure, but it makes sense he would try to sell me one of the more expensive ones...

My question - and it may be a stupid one - has anyone had any experience with either one of these phones? How is the clarity on them (I realize this is probably different from company to company) and is there anything that makes one better than the other? Which would be the better deal? I don't need anything fancy like text stuff or internet - but if I'm going to do this, I want to get the best deal for my money....

Vote in the poll, and if you don't mind - please post why you think one is better than the other!
Old 12-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Fluent in Stroll

Default Re: New phone

why is your tldr the same length, if not longer, as the first one?

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Public Enemy #1

LAWLZ at the tl;dr. Vike FTW.

Get the Razr. I was so close to buying one, but I went with a Samsung slider instead.
you know you got something nice when timmyshoota likes it.
Buy my gear! $500!
Old 12-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Fluent in Stroll

wow, i just noticed that. im slow tonight.

Skanking to the beat.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Fluent in Stroll

but to contribute, i dont like razrs. they just feel bad when you put them up to your ear.

Skanking to the beat.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

LOL - I wish I could take credit for the tl;dr but I actually saw this done a while back on another forum. While I was typing this and realized how long it was going to be, I started thinking no one would read it, so I thought it'd be perfect in this case!

Anywho, marv, it feels bad? Like how - it's too big, edges too sharp, too thin? Can you hear ok on them, though? What do you think of the Blade?
Old 12-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Fluent in Stroll

i could hear fine when i got it situated right, but it was uncomfortable. i had to hold it funny with my hand because it was so thin, and i dont like the angle it folds at. like i dont think it fit the size of my head properly. i am the only one that i know of to complain about this, so maybe im just being dumb. i dont know, take this with a grain of salt. as for the blade, i havent heard anything about it, or had any experience with it at all.

Skanking to the beat.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Here, there, everywhere!

I currently have a Motorola Slivr and Cameron has a Razr...
They both are nice but I cannot have another flip phone....they simply are not as durable as my Slivr....
The I-Tunes feature is available on both phones and they have very simular if not identical software and features.
They are both loud enough, they both work fine and have great reception (we are on Cingular) so the real choice is ergonomics and taste....
I voted for the Blade...
My .02
Member #12

"Your marker cannot harm me...I'm the Juggernaut!!"
KUSA Feedback +56/-0
New PBN Feedback +20/-0
Old PBN Feedback +92/-0
Old 12-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Spyder Addict

blade I never used it but I don't like razrs at all

fragile feeling don't know if they actually are
wierd feelling and are too thin
Old 01-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Spyder Addict

i think those new krazr's look pretty neat, havent tried one out yet though, maybe you should go for one of those.