Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Mechanical Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2006, 07:29 PM

Default Just got my MR1 & I have some questions

Hi everyone, great site. I am stoked to be here. I just bought an MR1. This is my first marker. I just started playing again after about 14 years. I am pretty much a newb to paintball but I am learning quick. I just took my gun out yesterday played a few games. Man do I love this thing.

I have a couple of questions that have been been bugging me. The manual say to lube the gun by putting a few drops of oil in the ASA and dry firing it about 5-10 times. However, I've been reading online about people taking apart their gun to lube it? Is this necessary? I cleaned the barrel and the feedneck area. Do I need to take anything else apart to clean?

Also, What paintballs do you guy prefer with the stock barrel? I learned yesterday from experience that different paints work differently in certain guns. I used the parks house brand which is made by PMI (called Badlandz). And I had almost no chops. I decided to use some Viewloader Heavy Metal Paintballs that I had laying around and I chopped almost every ball. At one point my hopper had both brands mixed. The VL paint would chop and the PMI would shoot through it. Talk about a side by side comparison. All I know is Heavy Metal = Bad. Like I said, I would love to get some paint recommendations. It would save me alot of time, money and frustration on the field.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:49 PM
If you fall down a bottomless pit, you die of starvation.

Default Re: Just got my MR1 & I have some questions

First of all, Welcome to the forums. You would be hard pressed to find a friendlier group of people.

First of all I recommend that you read through the Spyder "Bible" (link) It has almost all the information you need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild71
I have a couple of questions that have been been bugging me. The manual say to lube the gun by putting a few drops of oil in the ASA and dry firing it about 5-10 times. However, I've been reading online about people taking apart their gun to lube it? Is this necessary? I cleaned the barrel and the feedneck area. Do I need to take anything else apart to clean?
Lube the internals after every time you play, it will keep them running smoothly and save your o-rings. The oil in the ASA only needs to be done every 2 -3 cases.

Paint to bore match is what you want. I would advise you get an aftermarket barrel. I personally think that is the first upgrade you should get for your gun. It will improve accuracy and sometimes makes it more quiet. If you have the cash I would say to get a barrel kit, like the Freak barrel system. It has multiple inserts so that you can get a good paint to bore match.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Just make sure you search before you post.

And welcome back to the amazing game of paintball.

Everything you need to know
Old 12-13-2006, 09:10 PM

Cool. Thanks for that info. I will probably take the marker apart tomorrow night and give it a good clean and lube. I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket barrel. I've been looking at the BT Apex and the J&J ceramic. I'll check out the Freak System as well.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Skip the Apex...it's a crutch/excuse for not playing as well as someone else.

J&J's are nice, as well as Teardrops and CPs...relatively inexpensive too. If you want a barrel kit that's good for any paint you can find, Get a Freak or a Freak Jr. The Jr. is basically the same, just comes with fewer inserts. The upsides to a kit are:
* works with all paints
* gets excellent paint-to-bore matching
* Choice of tip style (freak or All American) and colors

Downside is: It's expensive. You can normally find a kit on Nation in the BST section for between $60 and $90 depending on condition....
Old 12-19-2006, 04:18 PM

Druid, thanks for the advice. I know what you're saying about the apex. I am only considering it because of the flatline feature. Since I can't fit a flatline barrel on a spyder I figure this is the next best thing. I play mostly woodsball and I am planning on playing some scenario games so I think this might work well. Especially since it will be going up agaisnt alot of tippy's with flatlines. The curve feature doesn't really interest me.

I took the maker apart the other day. It was much easier than I expected. I got it nice and clean and lubed for my next outing.