Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Mechanical Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2006, 04:14 PM
New Guy

Default Chop/Anti-Chop

Greetings. I'm new to the forums and introduced my son to paintball a couple of years ago.

First gun was a XTra...never had ANY problems with it. Was sold on Spyder guns. Wanting to stick with a strictly Mechanical Gun I bought a MR1.

I've run into problems with it, it chops paint on a very regular basis. My X-Tra has probably fired a half a million paintballs with only routine maintenance and being kept clean...but regardless of what I try or what paint I shoot, the MR-1 Chops paint, and of course always in the heat of a battle.

Thinking it was probably just my gun, I tried out my Sons MR-1 that I had bought for him at the same time I purchased mine...same problem.

So, now I'm looking for an ACS bolt of some type for it to see if that solves the problem.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks...

Butch Carter
Old 11-02-2006, 05:09 PM
not a nublet, sheesh.

Default Re: Chop/Anti-Chop

Hmm, this probbaly isn't it, but if you bought it when it came its likely the the ball detent is messed up. Check and make sure it has a black ball detent, if it has the orange one, you just need to replace the detents.
Trinity Front block
IPS Sunbear Bolt
Dark Horizon titanium striker

Green/silver VSC CCI Phantom

Red/Black PMR SE
Old 11-04-2006, 04:41 PM

My MR1 chops alot alot too. It's not the detent because i have tryed about every detent under the sun about five times and everything else but haven't tryed an ACS bolt yet but plan on it.

Xbox Live: Cal3bH
Old 11-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Chapter Four

Well you can't use a normal ACS Bolt on a mr-1, because the back where the bolt and striker connect wont fit because theres a peice of metal ni the way so you going to have to buy a low-blow ACS Bolt.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:42 PM
New Guy

Yep, I've tried different detents as well. Great suggestion though..and thanks.

I guess that brings be back to the idea of getting an ACS Bolt for it...so now I need to find one that works on the MR-1. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:49 AM
New Guy

The problem could also be the paintballs that you're using. From my limited experience, some cheap paintballs that I used would chop once every 8-10 shots, especially if I was quick on the trigger. Loaded up with my friend's higher-quality paintballs, squeegee'd the barrel, and didn't chop again for the rest of the day no matter how fast I shot...
Old 11-10-2006, 12:19 PM
New Guy

I am an mr1 owner and can tell u guys right now the chopping problem is the extreme amount of blow back, the paintballs are not settling fully in front of the bolt prior to firing. U can try an anti chop bolt but I suggest the route i am going get rid of the gravity feed hopper and go to something with a bit more push i am getting either a revvy or an egg this will help keep the balls in place and prevent ure hopper from becoming a popcorn machine.

Ever notice u chop a lot less with a full hopper
Old 11-19-2006, 10:30 AM

Yea I found why mine was chopping was becuase of cheap paint once I decided to start using quality paint it stopped chopping altogether.

Xbox Live: Cal3bH
Old 12-26-2006, 10:28 PM
New Guy

Well, after a lot of reading on the internet...talking with Kingman techs, talking with shop techs and just good old trial and error. Problem solved.

Seems my problem was not just any ONE thing...but multiple problems.

First solution...an electronic hopper. I noted while watching the feed style of a friends MR1 that every time the dang thing fired, it would bounce paintballs back up the feedneck, thus not allowing proper feed and the bolt chopping a paintball that is only halfway in.

Second solution...replaced the detents. I'd screwed around with them enough thinking they were the problem that I damaged them. Duh...

Third solution...better paintballs. I noted even with an electric hopper and new detents that every once in a while I'd chop a ball. Switched up to another brand of paint that was noted for being a better grade and tada..haven't chopped a ball since.

I'd like to thank the Kingman Tech that endured my stupid questions and ideas..lol.

Just for fun I purchased a Apex and put it on my MR1....made life fun and interesting, and was a nice add to the mix.

Next upgrade is homemade and can't really be discussed here. but I'll be spending some time in the machine shop with the MR1.

BTW is there such a thing as a barrel kit that is also an extension? Say a Freak kit but with spyder threads (male and female) so I can put my Apex barrel on the end of it? or perhaps an adapter?

Thanks!

Butch Carter
Old 01-05-2007, 06:06 PM
i will rain apon u!!!

the answere to all your problems after u buy new detents
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=7425