Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Polls
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Shoot the incoming player and play on. 19 48.72%
Shoot the incoming player and play on, but discipline the loudmouth after the game. 9 23.08%
Shoot the incoming player, but call yourself out. Give him a 1 for 1. 7 17.95%
Ignore the warning and play on. Whether you live or not, you play it fair. 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Pump Freak!

Default Re: What would you do....? A question of integrity

"Sports do not build character. They reveal it."
Old 01-12-2006, 05:00 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Character? In this case, I don't think character has much to do with paintball anywhere outside of rec ball or woodsball. Like I said in my post above, when there is money on the line, or prizes, character is defined by the level of play and where a particular team is in the standings at that particular time of day. In my mind, when in Rome, do as the Romans...In rec, play honest because 9 times out of 10, they are just having fun and it's not that stressful of a situation. In tournament, play the way the tournament is played.

Ok, here's how I see it - character wise. Everyone is either saying blow the guy up, or take a 1 for 1. NEITHER is what I would consider totally "honest." You shot that guy out, and he left the field, right? That happened ONLY because someone told you. To be TOTALLY honest, you'd just surrender and let the guy have the points, no 1 for 1...(Note, I said not totally honest, not cheating. There's a difference in my mind!)

I've seen these so called "honest" ballers on forums like PBnation talk about being virtuous in character and then turn around and cuss the original poster out for being a noob. I've seen them speak volumes on the virtues of not wiping or playing on, them celebrate pro teams and players (like Lasoya and others) that do it constantly (and we've all seen it!) I've seen them RAIL on kids that are 10 years old who dare post a video (not just on pbnation either) and then talk about how could they are on the field. Character in paintball?

Total Character in paintball is pretty non-existant in tournament paintball in my opinion. It's reserved for those teams that never play further than the prelims and wonder why. It's great to be able to say that, but I think paintball has it's own brand of character and it's selective from day to day. It's great we have some many people who are honest here, but the honest people I've seen have only been about 85% honest, when it suits them. Personally, I feel my character is pretty decent. If I shoot a guy because someone told me he was coming, it's not my fault there's a jerk on the sideline (and he/she is one for saying that) that warned me. I just took advantage of the situation. I don't feel this is a character flaw. NOT talking to the person who shouted about it and gloating about your wonderful play is a flaw in character.

Character, to me, encompasses ALL aspects of life, not just pulling a 1 for 1 in a sport that a specific occurance came up. It includes honesty, sportsmanship, steadfastness, courage, etc...

For those who tl;dr - I don't think this reveals a flaw in character.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:12 AM
Don't make me get my Dremel.

i'm with vike on this one.....i'll shoot the dude, and let the guy that yelled know that wasn't so cool, but i would not go 1 for 1, i would continue to play until i get hit.

it's really funny how some people react to this, i mean somebody yells at you that your going to get bunkered you do not shoot him first but you WAIT for the dude to bunker you? i mean c'mon WTF? and personally I don't believe anybody's going to do that.

and character? basing a persons character based on what he did in a paintball field is pretty judgemental. when your out there and your adrenaline is flowing, your instincts take over, you can't really stop and think about the morality of the issue at hand.

Super Duper Feedback
Old 01-12-2006, 07:41 AM
You will respect my authoritaaah!! Cut your halo feedneck!!!

if you kinda look at the responses, the more "tournament oriented" guys all say take advantage of the situation, take out the guy an keep playing, other people say to take a 1 for 1. Like vike said, in a tournament theres alot more on the line then in recball.

If it was a tournament I'd take the guy out and keep playing. If it was recball I'd probably go for a one for one or just take it, cause at my local fields they only bunker you with a couple shots (they try) in the leg or pack

NINJA EDIT: What vid is this from?

and we need the ninja smiley.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:52 AM
I wanna be formal but I'm here to party!

High resolution

Mid resolution

Low resolution

I was tempted not to post just cause I don't like the idea of somebody bashing on Tyger which might happen but I'm sure most have seen it. Tyger's a great guy I can't wait to play with him sometime!

And just for the record if you were in his situation you would be pissed!!! No if's and's or but's you would not take that situation lightly if it was you! I know I would be ticked especially afterward's when the guy that told the player is still smarting off!

JB.

Last edited by QAZ123 : 01-12-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Pump Freak!

I'm man enough to admit when Im wrong and Vike just made a good point. In order to play ABSOLUTELY fair, one would have to just suck it up and take the elimination. Why? because without the warning you'd never have seen it coming.

On a side note, I would like to salute everyone who has posted so far. I was a little nervous after I posted this because I thought it might be a hot-button issue for some of us. We obviously disagree but we're handling it like gentlemen. Everyone seemed to blow up about this on other forums (myself included) but Im glad to see that we can have a civilized discussion here. Good job guys.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I wanna be formal but I'm here to party!

Yeah I wouldn't sit there and let somebody shoot me but I think if I was in the situation I would shoot back so as to not get shot and pull a one for one still that's still my answer to resolve the situation still in a recball game.

JB.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned

sac is right, but even if it was rec, id still throw a bb or two.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:57 PM

Tyger is out. You finish the game and tell loud mouth cheating dude on the sideline to STFU and not ruin the game.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Resident *******

If I were in that situation I would take the hint and shoot the guy. It's just a reaction to follow advice for me, much as I hate it.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to