Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Mechanical Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Red Neck

Default Old Newbie

I have been out of this sport since pumps were the rage back in 1988 and just picked up an MR1 and played with it Monday and have to say I love it. The MR2 or 3 are in the future some time. However I do have a question that is MR1 related but goes for any paintgun.

How many of you guys have used rifled barrels and how did they affect the flight of the balls? I am looking at getting a little longer barrel 14 or 16". Thanks for any help.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Old Newbie

Join the club Brasman. I went out and bought an MR1 because I couldn't stand the thought of bringing my poor Trracer to a game after a decade of storage. No regrets about the marker, except maybe I wish I popped the extra bucks for a MR2. It's a damn solid marker, but mounting scopes is a bit of a problem.

As for barrels, I went and got myself a 14" J&J ceramic, just in case I ever DID upgrade to a MR2 or MR3 (it's one of the few barrels that will fit through their weird shroud), and it is a tad more accurate... maybe not hugely so, but still, it's noticible(sp). I've already got a remote, and I plan on getting an EVOII loader and HPA next (I can outshoot the gravity feed on occasion, and HPA should make the occasional velocity spikes go away). Notice how all these upgrades are things I can easily bring over to any other paintball marker once I finally decide to upgrade.

That being said, the MR1 is a great marker, and I seem to be holding my own against the electronic fire hoses so far... probably because all that pump play back in the day taught me all about running, hiding, and picking my shots
Old 09-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Scenario Junkie

The rifled barrels are a myth when it comes to paintballs.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:20 PM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

BM....welcome back to paintball........Ya rifled barrels are bs. Don't feed into the hype -

oldnewb..........throw an electronic trigger frame on the MR1 and voila, you basically have an MR2 -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 09-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Red Neck

Thanks for the replys. It sounds like every body that has the J&J likes it and it fits two guns I may get so I think I will go with it.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:15 AM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

All you get for so little funds, it's well worth the effort. I use my J&J on all my Spyder's -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 09-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Red Neck

Well I found a brand new 16" J&J on Amazon for $29. The 14" was more expansive and I know most people say the 16" does not help any more but for some reason I wanted the 16". The Bad news is I looked at an MR3 today and have to have one to go with my MR1. I also found a tilted scope mount that should work fine on an MR1 from Brownells that is actualy an AR15 rail. It is not very long but one of those red dots with only one mount should work fine and I think you could get a decent picture with your mask on.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...spx?p=21382&s=
Old 09-08-2006, 09:12 AM
New Guy

That mount is freaking SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back.

Rifle barrels is BS.

MR1 like to have 14" or 12" barrels hooked up to them.

but 12" barrels make the marker loader. So no sniping for you.

IMO, High Preasure Air is the greatest upgrade for an MR1.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Red Neck

Thanks for the info. So how does the barrel not work on the MR1? Does it break balls? I have a couple other guns that the barrel can go on if it does not function properly.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRASMAN
Thanks for the info. So how does the barrel not work on the MR1? Does it break balls? I have a couple other guns that the barrel can go on if it does not function properly.
The only concern I've heard about the J&J is that you absolutely must attach the o-ring that it comes with onto the barrel, otherwise it has a tendancy to work itself loose. It works great on the MR1, and I've heard that it's just about the only barrel that will fit through the barrel shroud on the MR2 and MR3 (the other's I've *heard* work are the Apex and Lapco Big Shot, but make sure you try it out at your local paintball shop before you buy).