Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Picture and Video Pages
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Pump Freak!

Default Re: Triumphant return with a new

I don't have my permit yet (and I stress the word 'yet') so I have to say "pop a week" for now. Once I get enough range time to feel comfortable carrying it on a regular basis, I might put in for my cwp.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:21 PM
viper one

even if you dont intend to carry. i still believe its a good idea for everyone to take a gun safety course. At least if they are around guns. example, you keep one in the house. You go hunting, or go to the shooting range alot. cuz theres a lot of people runnin around that are just plain stupid when it comes to gun safety. people are always accidentally getting shot cuz somebody didn't know how to properly handle a weapon.

dont mean for this to sound like a flame. Just take every precaution to be safe with your weapons, even paintball guns could seriously injure someone. but be safe especially with real firearms.

in process of customizing body to repair damage done by NDZ EQ bolt not fitting right.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Resident *******

Always amazes me to hear about people that "clean" their firearms and somehow get shot by their rifle/pistol/shotgun while doing it. Darwin's Theory at work, folks!

I think it's good that you want to get in some range time to familiarize yourself with the XD's capabilities. As Paul sugested, run the ball ammunition through it at the range -- it's a bit cheaper than the other ammo available for it. Especially cheaper than the Cor*Bon's... lmfao!

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 07-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatphil
Seems we are both packing!
omg! ftw! full clip for quicktime guys
Old 07-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x
ive never shot a springfield handgun how are those. We use sig sauer 9 mils. i really like em, extremely quick breakdown. I gotta agree with glocks sucking though. only one i ever shot that i liked was a 357.sig round and i couldnt even tell you the model.
Springfield is (I believe) the oldest firearm manufacturer in the Country. Their handguns run from MKAY to exceptional. MKAY=MilSpec and exceptional=tricked. I have an Ultra Compact and love it but the stock recoil spring likes 'hot' ammo. You can replace the spring and guide with something by Wilson Combat Arms...excellent products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdave714
Ive fired a number of Glocks and was never very impressed. Big fan of Para's automatics and Taurus revolvers. I've only fired the Springfield 1911. Never one of these new composite frames. Bought this one by recommendation and reputation rather than taking it for a test drive. Taking it to the range very soon and I expect to be very impressed.
I too owned 2 Glocks (24C for IDPA comnpetition and 23C for carry). To be completely honest, I really didn't like them but not for fit or function. I don't like the sight-picture they allow. It's like looking down a table top with 2 candle sticks and a salt-shaker...too wide and flat for my taste...but they are EXCELLENT firearms none-the-less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred76
I didn't say Glocks sucked, I merely stated I'd take one of these babies (XD series) over one. I'd still take the Glock over a M1911 or similar handgun. It's all in the preference, though.

Agreed on preference. You really have to shoot the firearms before making the 'big purchase.' For me, I'd take a good 1911/Clone any day over a Glock.

These pistols have a different angle on the hand than the Glocks that I find more comfortable to fire with. It's closer to an actual 45*, which I personally find easier to control recoil with. So, I have to ask TigerDave, will this be a carry gun, or a pop a week?
When shopping for a handgun, take special note of the back-strap (where the web/heel of the hand meets the grip). Curved back straps are inherently more comfy than straight/flat ones. Also, when selecting a firearm, the first knuckle joint should reach the trigger. If it's between the knuckle and the fingertip, it's too big. If it's between the 1st and 2nd knuckle, it's too small. The meaty pad of your trigger finger should rest comfortably on the trigger with just a slight bend in the index finger.
EDIT: I know your gun has multiple back straps...^^^was meant 'in general'

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x
even if you dont intend to carry. i still believe its a good idea for everyone to take a gun safety course. At least if they are around guns. example, you keep one in the house. You go hunting, or go to the shooting range alot. cuz theres a lot of people runnin around that are just plain stupid when it comes to gun safety. people are always accidentally getting shot cuz somebody didn't know how to properly handle a weapon.

dont mean for this to sound like a flame. Just take every precaution to be safe with your weapons, even paintball guns could seriously injure someone. but be safe especially with real firearms.
Many States actually require this anymore. While PA doesn't have this requirement under the Law, I too believe it's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred76
Always amazes me to hear about people that "clean" their firearms and somehow get shot by their rifle/pistol/shotgun while doing it. Darwin's Theory at work, folks!

I think it's good that you want to get in some range time to familiarize yourself with the XD's capabilities. As Paul sugested, run the ball ammunition through it at the range -- it's a bit cheaper than the other ammo available for it. Especially cheaper than the Cor*Bon's... lmfao!
One thing I failed to mention earlier is that like paintball markers and regs...there is a "break-in" period. For many Semi-autos, it's around 500 rounds (some more or less). I suggest that until you have it 'broken in', fire 40-50 rounds and break down for dry cleaning (no Solvent) and every 100 rounds wet-clean it. Use ONLY ball ammo for the break-in period. Why? The rounded nose, copper jackets 'polish' the feed ramp by friction.
I suggest a dental pick set to get under the extractor and in the tiny areas you never think crud will get to.

Enjoy your new 'piece' and be safe.

EDIT: I forgot to mention (again)...Holsters.

It never ceases to amaze me how people will spend up to THOUSANDS of dollars on their guns...and settle for a POS Uncle Mikes' Holster costing $15-$25...or some other 'foam' variant. SPEND THE MONEY FOR A GOOD HOLSTER! While I don't suggest a $250 "Milt Sparks" for the occasional user...I do suggest a G&G (Gould & Goodrich), Bianchi or Safariland made of good saddle leather WITH a thumbsnap retention strap. It should also be lined to protect the finish. Saddle soap cleans the leather nicely.

Last edited by druid : 07-30-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Banned

I was just at my cabin with some friends over the weekend and my buddy brought his XD (the same one pictured here. It was a lot of fun. We went through about 40-50 rounds firing at a dead laptop computer. We also lit it up with a .22 and a couple pb guns.

I liked the XD and it was quick to break down. I was not impressed with the the sound though. It was a little loud for what it actually did. One of my buddies is going into the FBI and said that the guns he was firing were a lot quieter more acurrate.

Now for the disclaimer. I have never fired a real gun before (beside my 22) and I don't think I want to fire another had gun again. It was not as cool as I thought it woudl be. It was fun though to destroy the laptop with the gun though.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Resident *******

Just you wait until you try something like a .454 or .44... LOL. I love firearms of all shapes and sizes, and have tried a lot of them (close friend of mine inherited like 4 or 5 of those big Craftsmen tool cabinets chaulk full of firearms), and the XD was not the loudest... by FAR lol. What your friend probably was meaning is that his service firearm is a 5" model. 4" models are louder and less accurate. 3" models have even more kick, noise, and inaccuracy than the 4". These are also known in the revolver form as "snub-nose" firearms. But you really can't compain about accuracy... I mean, I was hitting a box (admittedly a big box.. lol) from 200m with a snub-nose .454 Casull. Hard as hell to do at that range, but it is possible. Just takes some practice.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 07-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Bling Bling Bling

wow a .40 caliber paintball gun, must be hard to find paint...

now with all seriousness, very nice gun. I am not a "real" gun guy, but I have been thinking more and more about it. Lots of friends have them and I think I want to get one too.

Trust
*AO*IO*KUSA*PBN*PHOG*
You have been roshamboed
BAMF-Hacker's Mood: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Pump Freak!

As far as the safety course goes (in response to viperx6x9x), I think I've got that covered. I was raised around guns and was taught to shoot by my father, uncle, and both grandfathers (all retired military). I also did a 2-day shooting course at the South Carolina Law Enforcement Academy a few years back. Believe me... safety is my middle name when it comes to firearms.

I will agree that there should be a mandatory class for new handgun owners though. It was way too easy for me to purchase this gun without any question as to my experience with firearms. I mean sure... my background check went through without issue, but they didn't tell me anything about safety or even how to operate this particular weapon. I could have taken it home and blown my head off first thing. I think every shop should have a range out back where new gun owners are taught how to load, fire, and clean their weapon safely. If you can't pass the class, you don't buy the gun. But thats just my 2 cents.

Concerning the noise issue, I kinda hope it is that loud. When I'm at the range I'll be wearing ear protection so it won't bother me. But if someone breaks into my apartment and I'm forced to use it, I want everyone in the building to hear the shots.

As for the ammo suggestions, I think I'm going to stick with a simple FMJ round (probably CCI Blazer) for range time, and I'm planning to use either Federal Hydrashocks or those Glaser safety shots for personal protection use. The hyrdaschocks are tried and true, but the safety shot supposedly boasts better stopping power. I'll try them both at the range and see which one works best for me.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:36 PM
New Guy.. Who's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdave714
safety is my middle name
Okay, so it's David Safety ______. Anyone know his last name?

LOL. Nice gat BTW, I presume you'll be starting to shoot the lanes with that?

Just don't come and shoot me.