Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Shop Talk > Custom Shop
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

Default new mask mod, will it work?

if i SPRAY (the dip is too thick) my jt proflex mouth piece (the flex part, that is ALWAYS black) with plasti dip, will it stay, and what, if anything should i use to plug the holes with.

http://www.plastidip.com/consumer/index.html i was planning on useing the blue or the white stuff (maybe a combo) on this face piece....

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/...YAAAEKKosVlPuh
on the black part only, not the silver part

after testing on this face piece (stock on my 03/04 proflex)

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/...AAAAEJww9PJJNX

any tips/ suggestions might help. anyone who has worked with the spray more than i have, or the dip. (i saw my friends dad dip a tool in it, then on another occasion spray a different tool, but i dont really have a feel for it)
Old 07-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Bling Bling Bling

Default Re: new mask mod, will it work?

Fill the holes with play doe and scrape away the extra from the part to be painted. That way you can just pop the doe out after you spray them.

my idea, not proven to work.

Trust
*AO*IO*KUSA*PBN*PHOG*
You have been roshamboed
BAMF-Hacker's Mood: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

i was thinking id spray one side, cut the slop off of the holes from the back, spray the other side and cut the slop from the front

i was also thinking id do a heavy white coat down the middle with light white coat exteding to the sides, then have the blue transition (although the surface will only show blue with a white stripe)
Old 07-19-2006, 10:11 PM
viper one

just get a primer made for plastic. first dip a lint free cloth in paint thinner then clean off the area you want to paint and let it dry. it evaporates quick so dont worry, it wont take long. spray a coat of the primer, after that dries get a really fine sandpaper and smooth it down, make sure you wipe off the dust from the sandpapering. then spray it with any paint you want. clear coat it if you want it really shiney. worked great on my bike, its panels were a much harder plastic but still plastic.

just be careful not to touch it with your fingers after you wipe it down with the paint thinner cuz oil from your fingers will get on the plastic and cause prints you cant see at the time. if you prime and paint on top of that prints will show through, especially if you clear coat it. use those latex exam gloves or something.

thats all i got for painting, as far as prepping something that has that many holes to cover i dont know. the play dough actually dont sound bad. just lay a bunch of masking tape on the rest of the mask, and make sure you tape the back side. cuz spray likes to cloud back around through any hole you leave open.

in process of customizing body to repair damage done by NDZ EQ bolt not fitting right.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:24 AM
Banned

its not paint, i dont need primer. i am going to clean it. the stuff is a dip that dries in air that makes a rubberized area
Old 07-20-2006, 06:29 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

I used that stuff to paint my crappy stock Dragun grips since they don't have aftermarket ones for them. It's pretty good stuff and help up well, for the most part. I don't know how it would work on something flexible, like your mask, but I know on rigid plastic it works pretty well.

Make sure you do it in the garage or outside because it's got a major petroleum smell to it. Also, do one thin coat at a time, about 3-4 coats total. It's not as thick as you'd think, but thicker than normal paint. You can get the dip and use one of those foam brushes to brush it on, which is what I did with my grips. You'll have to throw it out, no matter what brush you use, if you brush it at all, so the foamys are great for that.

Have no experience with the spray. I think it'd be pretty tough to use since it's thicker than normal paint, but that's just a guess.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Banned

thanx vike, with the spray i should be able to get the thin layer i want.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:09 PM
My money is going into my car. What's paintball?

That rubber... idk if it will stick to that rubber very well. Chances are its going to chip off.

Quote:
armedfuture (3:14:56 AM): they get upset easy when you use big words like "rental" and "air"
Old 07-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Banned

lol you really arent expressing what you are trying to say(to my understanding) properly. its rubber and ive seen it used, it wont chip off, maybe what you are trying to say is that it wont stick, which i have contempleted, which is why ive made this thread to see if anyone knows if it sticks to things besides metal. it wont chip, and i know it because it doesnt chip on regular tools, in order to for it to chip it has to have low bondability with itself, which it has a very high amount of.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned

update: im dissappointed and excited before i start spraying for seperate reasons.

dissappointed because home depot didnt have it, and lowes pulled a "model-t" on me, but then the guy found 1 colored can behind the black ones.... but it isnt blue. its red, unfortuately i will not be doing it on my silver mask, i want that blue. i will be doing it on the black. i have it masked off (mask the mask)

i am excited because the back of the can says it is "extremly flexable" and adheres to tons of things, including plastic and rubber.

kinda confused though, while cleaning my mask i noticed that cotton balls cause the material to whiten when wet (it goes away with airdryed water).... wierd. mask is clean and im going out to paint it now, wish me luck!