Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2006, 01:15 PM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

Lightbulb Breaking in your ACS bolt.........

Well I'm finally getting around to breaking in my ACS bolt. Dang the spring is much more tense than I envisioned it. Why teh hell make the spring so heavy is beyond me. Almost seems to defeat the purpose of having one in there in the first place -

Anyways I throw my N2 tank on and put one of my home made barrel swabs in the feed neck and shoot it. For some reason I'm expecting it to recock. Well duh me.........it doesn't. I'm thinking like well crap imma have to shoot this thing and recock it like 500 or so times before the spring is broken in? NO WAY! So I remove the bolt again and lay the front on a flat surface then take the dowel rod end of the swab and start pushing up and down on the metal piece at the back of the bolt that's connected to the spring. Once again I say I'm not gonna sit here and do this for a half hour. Dang, what to do? -

Then I start thinking about some people leaving their markers cocked while not using them and the spring gets weak and will not get to velocity so they need to buy a spring kit for another heavy spring. Ah ha......voila! If I compress this spring in this bolt in the same manner, it's going to do the same thing as what I've been trying to do. It'll save me propellant and time from trying it the other ways I mentioned. Thing is finding something that will fit in the slot and be the right width to compress the spring as far as possible. So I'm like searching all over my apartment finding nothing that flips the bill and hit the silverware drawer in the kitchen, Aha, the perfect insert! My trusty mechanical can opener that I never used lol. I just used the dowel rod to push down on the metal spring thingy and inserted the can opener -

Now I don't have to sit and waste time by shooting and recocking this thing or fiddling with the up and down dowel rod technique. I'm sure this will do a much better job as the other ways as well. I'll prolly leave it this way for a day or two and it'll deffinitely be well broken in. I'll check it occasionally in between. Now I have extra time to make a thread here sharing this with everybody else lol.
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 07-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Imagine Lover

Default Re: Breaking in your ACS bolt.........

I dont have an ACS bolt but thats creative thinking. If I ever get one ill have to try that
Old 07-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Marine Corps.

Great Idea !!! *puts in favorites* ... now this is what im gonna link everyone that asks this question to ... Clever Creative Wisdomizing thinking Dragon

Edit: What gun is it that your currently using that uses the ACS bolt ??

Last edited by ooglieboogliebob : 07-14-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Here, there, everywhere!

Cool!!!!!
cookin the one in my new Pilot right now!!!
Thanks D!
Member #12

"Your marker cannot harm me...I'm the Juggernaut!!"
KUSA Feedback +56/-0
New PBN Feedback +20/-0
Old PBN Feedback +92/-0
Old 07-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Spyder Addict

If that works I'll be pissed...no offense...it's a great idea...but I was always taught springs only wear down from the actual cycling of the spring. being left in a compressed or uncompressed state is supposed to have little no impact. Thats why I, you, the police can leave your semi auto pistol cocked and never have to worry about spring failure...

With that said...I must of cycled mine by hand 500 times?Dear god I hope this works for you...my fingers do too! (maybe light gauge springs are different....)

If this works...You're a genius! and I better go check the springs in my pistol.........
05 Pilot ACS - SPPS Dragon tail trigger, 50 gram switch, CCM feedneck, ACP Bolt, Sticky 3's, Trinity -7 deg. V/A, Rocket Valve, DH Titanium Striker, BL Torp., T board w/ Eyes, Cp Direct Mount On/Off, 275 fps@250 psi

VS2

Black to Olive PM6

"All men have fear. The brave ones lay it down and go forward...some unto death but all to victory!" - Kings Guard of Ancient Greece

OLD FART CLUB MEMBER
My Feedback
Old 07-14-2006, 05:19 PM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

Arrow Re: Breaking in your ACS bolt.........

Cycling the spring only imposes a momentary stress on the spring. Leaving it compressed for a lengthy time leaves a continual stress on the spring. Which would be more prone to weakening or deforming the spring shorter? As stated, I got the idea from people leaving their markers cocked when not in use. This is a no-no. Leaving a firearm in a continual compressed state will have its toll as well but firearm springs are a much thicker gauge than any paintball marker. If you shoot your marker 500 times it will leave less stress on the spring than leaving it in a continual compressed state IMHO. It's hardened spring steel but not impervious to stress -

Thanks for the props guys. Sharing ideas and info is the main reason for having these forums. I was pretty green when I got here but just picked up a few things on the way -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 07-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Spyder Addict

Talking Re: Breaking in your ACS bolt.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON
Cycling the spring only imposes a momentary stress on the spring. Leaving it compressed for a lengthy time leaves a continual stress on the spring. Which would be more prone to weakening or deforming the spring shorter? As stated, I got the idea from people leaving their markers cocked when not in use. This is a no-no. Leaving a firearm in a continual compressed state will have its toll as well but firearm springs are a much thicker gauge than any paintball marker. If you shoot your marker 500 times it will leave less stress on the spring than leaving it in a continual compressed state IMHO. It's hardened spring steel but not impervious to stress -

Thanks for the props guys. Sharing ideas and info is the main reason for having these forums. I was pretty green when I got here but just picked up a few things on the way -
LOL...I'm pissed!
05 Pilot ACS - SPPS Dragon tail trigger, 50 gram switch, CCM feedneck, ACP Bolt, Sticky 3's, Trinity -7 deg. V/A, Rocket Valve, DH Titanium Striker, BL Torp., T board w/ Eyes, Cp Direct Mount On/Off, 275 fps@250 psi

VS2

Black to Olive PM6

"All men have fear. The brave ones lay it down and go forward...some unto death but all to victory!" - Kings Guard of Ancient Greece

OLD FART CLUB MEMBER
My Feedback
Old 07-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

I'm wondering why it didn't recock in the first place? When I broke my Jambolt in, all I did was put the barrel swab down the breech and rip like hell for about 5 minutes. It recocked every single time.

Oh, well! Interesting - I wonder how many people here have actually seen one of those old can openers? Wait, I wonder how many actually know how to use one of them, LOL!

Let us know how it works.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Marine Corps.

those can openers arn't that old ... i actually have one right now ... my parents don't feel the need to spend money on an electric can opener when they can use me to spin the little knob a few dozen times ...

Then again .. now a days there's those quick open ones with the tabs ... pretty much like a coke can ..
Old 07-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Bling Bling Bling

Dragon... That is why you are the man. Great Idea!!!

Trust
*AO*IO*KUSA*PBN*PHOG*
You have been roshamboed
BAMF-Hacker's Mood: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!