Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default So I was watching this movie...

called Starship Troopers yesterday morning (amazing what comes on in the mornings!) when I noticed they were talking about being a citizen. Now, from what I could understand from the movie, the only way to become a citizen of whatever government they were talking about, you had to serve in the military in some capacity. Then, they had the right to vote, run for political office, and so forth because they had volunteered their lives to their government and in return were reaping benefits. Also, from what I could tell, this was a totally voluntary thing. One of the lines they had, I think his name was Casper something or other, said, "I once questioned what a citizen was. Now I know it's someone who has the courage to give his life for his country."

Also, it appeared that if you chose NOT to serve, you still could do pretty well, just not have a say in things government related.

Ok, sure, it's a cheezy sci-fi movie, but the concept intrigued me somewhat. Sometime over the past few months, I had heard a news report that suggested all people serve in the military for a specified length of time, including politician's kids, rich people's kids and so on. It would guarantee that people realize what this country is about, give them a chance to do something for the country besides ***** about it's leaders or whatever, and would give them a sense of actually "owning" the country. They keep what they fight for, so to speak.

So, what do you think of this? I'll hold my comments on this for now because I want to see your responses. But, this would affect me as much as anyone, because I have two daughters that would grow up into this.

Let's try to keep this on topic and the flame fest down. This is not a "BASH BUSH" or "PRAISE BUSH" thread. It's not about the economy, though in a round about way, it could be.

By the way, for some reason, I kind of liked the movie. I'd read the book a while back - think it's by Heinlein, one of my favorites.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Fluent in Stroll

Default Re: So I was watching this movie...

actually,i think it sounds like a really cool setup for a government...

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:10 PM
sXe Fools

the second ST sucked

PBN Feed
Old 07-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

loved it. "LET'S GOOOOO MAGGOTS!!! YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER?!?!?!?!"
Old 07-13-2006, 08:38 PM

Do you want to know more?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:29 AM
Banned

The idea is a good concept but one thing that you would have to think about is in that movie the ENTIRE world is on the same page. There is only one army and if we could get the entire world to participate then it would be great. As far as Americans the problem with that is that there really wouldn't be much of a vote. If you were to poll the entire Army about who they think should be president you will find out that it is kinda a one sided political vote. That would mean there would have to be new parties created to match what they would vote for. I personally do not think I should be asked to participate in something that I do not want to in order for me to vote for who represents me and my ideas in office. Great concept, Crappy Movie, Couple Hot chicks, and Doogie Howser makes for a good time watching it though.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:34 AM
Formerly Dunkler Engel

The thing is it would cost the government even more money to train everyone, and the government would fail to gain anything from it, because we already have enough soldiers. Also the government officials that we don 't elect(not politicians) don't care what we think. People can critsize out government and protest or w/e all they want. Our government is set in stone(somewhat, mainly the basic stuff) in the constitution. And alot of people must want it to change the constitution.

Feedback

My DeviantArt page