Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Banned

Default Re: Grillz and Gauging banned in TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKwithPride
What is it lately with people deciding how others will live their lives?
seriously... its a worn subject in the area of entertainment via censorship, the fcc should go bye bye imo. all of these fascists here in our country make me sick.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKwithPride
What is it lately with people deciding how others will live their lives?
i may be against your decision to have guages and i personally dont like them but it is completely rediculous to make them illigal to wear. i agree that it is a personal decision and nobody should be able to prevent anybody from living and looking the way they want. there are WAY to many rules in the US right now...
Old 07-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON
Seems they'll just have to use the drug money they used to get it put in to have it taken out. Who in their right mind would just throw down $10,000 to have this done unless it's drug money that they never worked for in the first place? -
Heh......when I first read the title I was thinking BBQ grills and thought, no frikin way are they going to be able to prevent BBQ'rs from enjoying their BBQ's in Texas. That'd be like banning gun racks in pickup trucks there lol -
Now, now Dragon...don't get caught up in the stereotype-name calling that happened last week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emf7301
hahahahahahaha, that makes me sore from all the laughing i just did listening to how stupid that is. I live in arlington but i went to a private school in fort worth. Just to let you know, all the kids they interviewed were from Sam Houston and Seguin. Those two schools are two of the lowest schools in the whole arlington ISD. Most people at those schools are either black, mexican, or trouble makers who got kicked out of their schools and sent to these schools. i personally think the grillz don't need to be there but the gauging (i personally don't like it) is nothing more than a type of earing. Plus, most people who go to those schools will end up working dead-end jobs. personally it doesn't bug me because i'm gone from high school but whatever.
I don't think racial profiling should be a part of this...the general statement highlighted in red should have been enough...
...HOWEVER...since you brought it up...It seems that this is the more prevelent problem associated wit public schools and families in general. The Liberals say we can't spank our own child or it's abuse (not to be confused with whippings with venician blind cords, beaten with pool cues and similar attacks), nor can we smack them in the mouth for speaking inappropriately. They consider anything beyond "Time-outs", "little-chats" and 'grounding' as abuse and created/enacted laws to prevent it - effectively scaring parents into not being able to manage their children. Then this ^^ is what you get...a mass of uncivilized, under educated, lethargic and likely violent group of juvenile delinquents that are antisocial and then housed together because no one knows what to do with them. Society created this mess and is trying to clean it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claustrophobia9
seriously... its a worn subject in the area of entertainment via censorship, the fcc should go bye bye imo. all of these fascists here in our country make me sick.
you are more than welcome to leave it at any time. May I suggest Canada, Russia, Germany, England, China, Romania or France as one of your destinations? I'm sure you'll find their systems of government (in general) more oppressive than ours....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderkid179
i may be against your decision to have guages and i personally dont like them but it is completely rediculous to make them illigal to wear. i agree that it is a personal decision and nobody should be able to prevent anybody from living and looking the way they want. there are WAY to many rules in the US right now...
Well...the lawless antisocial are to blame...and starting from generations ago. They couldn't obey the rules/law back then, creating more and newer ones to accomodate the times and offenses. It hasn't gotten any better...and we all know what 'creativeness' our youth of today are cabable of...and their desire to 'buck the system.'

From the linked article:

Not so, says school board trustee Gloria Pena, who sought to ban the practice of stretching earlobes, which can be permanent.
"We want to instill in them a sense of modesty and a sense of community," she said. "We're preparing them for the workforce, and in the workforce there are rules."

Hrm......I seem to remember reading something like this somewherrrrrre befoooooore...

Old 07-13-2006, 03:50 AM
Banned

Since it is evident that most people can not live with some sort of stucture to interact with other in society they create rules, regs, and laws to HELP people along. I don't agree with all of them but let look at it this way. When was the last time you saw a CEO of a respectable company wit gauges in the ears and a grill on? (We are not talking an ower of a rap company we are talking everyday jobs even McDees, 3M, Best Buy, Wal Martm and so on)

It is obvious that most people who want gauges are not interested in becoming someone like that. In order to help those that do though (peer pressure will cause someone who wants to be in that work enviroment to do something that will prevent it) they create laws and so on to help them. I understand the stopping gauge thing (what is the point of doing it in our society and if you say to be different well...you are not the only one that has it you are not different just another lamb to slaughter) but what is the point of the grillz thing. Most people that have them are just inserts. Just take them out. Who cares. If a kid wants to look like that let them. It is when it is permenant that it becomes a problem.

On the other hand the constitution says I have the freedom to express myself as long as it does not violate anyone elses freedoms. I say let the kids do what they want and in the long run. Wen I am making 7 digits a year and they are still trying to manage the crew at McDees they will wonder why and no one else will. (please do not take this as an attack on anyone with grillz or gauges here it is just an observation that is evedent in my intereactions with fortune 500 companies here.)
Old 07-13-2006, 04:53 AM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

one question splat...how are they going to talk into the drive-thru Mic with that crap in their mouth?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:34 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

I bring this up because someone mentioned schools getting sued over this issue.

Most school handbooks have a clause that says that you can't do things that will disrupt the education of another student. That includes hair color, clothing, etc. They also have clauses that state gang attire, drug apparel, so forth is inappropriate and not to be worn on the property. These things, grills and guages, can easily be classified under those two items. It just depends on how the school wants to handle them.

I've said this a hundred times, and will still stand behind it - school's have more power than you think, and students have much less power than they perceive - especially in public schools where there isn't a rich parent or corporation backing them up. The only rights a student in public ed has are to be safe and to get an education - and some have the right to a free lunch and breakfast. They don't have the right to wear whatever they want (up to a point,) they don't have the right to say whatever they want (up to a point,) they don't have the right to act however they want (again, to a point.) You might say that although they learn about America in school, they don't have the right, at least to a point, to PRACTICE being a rebellious American there. If the school decides you're interupting another student's right to learn or his/her safety, they can toss you out like yesterday's garbage. AND, I'll let you in on a secret, they don't care too much about lawsuits anymore. It isn't going to hurt the school's reputation at all, and they have VERY good lawyers on staff. Basically, all they have to do is pull out the handbook that EVERY student gets at the beginning of the year or has access to online and show it.

OK, school stuff over. Now, what about real life?

**Ninja edit** Many long paragraphs about work cut out here. Suffice it to say, Druid and Splaturout already said it. My advice, free as it is so you can take it or ignore it, use your freedoms wisely. Now if you're going to complain about loss of freedoms, make sure they're the freedoms that actually count in life - not the right to have diamonds on your teeth that cost more than your car or the house you live in, or a big freaking hole in your ear that won't close, even when you're 80 years old and your great grandkids are looking at you weird....freedom of expression is such a cop out, to me, anyways! Someone gets told to do something at school or work, all of a sudden their "freedom of expression" is being oppressed. If you HAVE to work for someone or go to school, just deal with it. Do your expressions away from there! PUH-LEEZE!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:39 AM
viper one

sounds like my old high school. yup im from texas too. they wouldnt even let me have bleached hair, no goatees, earings. girls could wear caps, but guys couldnt. all kinda stupid crap. i heard they got even more strict since i left. did i mention it was a public school. anyways while i think diamond teeth and such are an eyesore, i still discourage dress codes cuz they piss me off. i mean seriously you dont need toothpaste anymore i guess. some chrome polish ought to do it. a little windex should keep the diamonds shiny. I'm still gonna make fun of the teeth cuz it looks dumb as hell, but yeah these dress codes are gettin rediculous.

in process of customizing body to repair damage done by NDZ EQ bolt not fitting right.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Banned

sorry if druid or vike already (by some chance) said this but frankly i have no time to read your posts.

anyone catch the second southpark rerun last night... it was the pictures of muhammad part 2. i found it funny when george bush (animated) was on stand in front of the press and he was trying to explain to the press about the "first ammendment" and the response was "mr. president, didn't your administration forsee problems in this 'first amendment' when you created it?"

i find it funny that that was on and we are talking about these rights and it really does seem that, like southpark has portrayed it, people have completely forgotten about them.

edit: got time for some of druid's:

schools arent made to teach modesty. schools should teach clean cut facts. then they should send you home and your parents should find a creative way to instill community. whether that be not allowing their son/daughter do certain things, or require them to be part of some group that they feel helps such as a church group or something. but it isnt the governments job to create these envirionments for youth within a required system such as schools. if a government is to provide a schooling system they should do JUST THAT. private schools still exist, and they actually have the right to ban this kind of stuff, if a parent chooses to put their son or daughter in a private school that is their option rather than the option of the government to force it upon people. the problem with this country is that when people dont listen to something another group says, there is a common situation where that group trys to force their beliefs on another via the government.

Last edited by claustrophobia9 : 07-13-2006 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Edit - Claus, you should read what I wrote about schools. Also, in a perfect world, you'd be correct. However, parents don't do what you're suggesting, so the job falls back on the schools. Teachers aren't mindless robots, spewing information for you to memorize. We've been there and done that, so to speak and know what kids need for the "real" world. Since most of us actually care for our students, we want you to succeed so we try to give you EVERYTHING you need to do that, including what you just said we shouldn't give you. Unfortunately, it's been forced upon them to teach them what they need to know for the workplace, some of which are morals and such anymore. I don't agree with it, but if schools don't do it, and parents WON'T do it, who will?

I have to disagree with the dress code thing there, viper. I see a lot of what gets worn to school these days, and from a responsible adult's point of view, it's become very difficult to handle. Seems boys are more interested in the color of the girl's thong than the War of 1812. Go figure! Plus, when I'm teaching, as a 40 year old, I don't want to look across the room at a lot of crotches and underwear peeking up from under tiny, blindfold size skirts or jeans with holes in them, or a bunch of teenage (or younger) boobs flopping onto a table (Especially in the grades I teach, but imagine the trouble that would cause in high school! And don't fool yourself - kids are developing a heck of a lot earlier than they used to.) Don't even get me started on low cut shirts, or shirts with GIGANTIC arm holes in them or pants that are so big you can see the hairs on some guys butt....I could care less what color your boxers are. And then there's the skater boys who wear girls clothes....it's really ridiculous these days! Oh, and don't say parents should be in control, because they aren't. Most times, the kids dress themselves and get off to school before parents are either out of bed or rhey are already off to work.

School is just school, it shouldn't be a fashion statement. If we got rid of dress codes, then all kinds of crap would start coming in from gang apparel - which DOES start big fights from opposing gangs - to spewing sexual ineuendo (SP?) all over the place. School isn't a place for that.

Personally, and this has started bloody battles before, I'm all for uniforms. They are cheaper, no time is wasted on dress code (or very little time) the clothes are comfortable - most are just pants, shorts or skirts with a tee shirt, or a polo-type shirt anymore, they are much cheaper for the parents because you aren't hitting Hollister's or A&F or whatever is in right now, etc. I know a LOT of people, especially parents, who agree with me, but it's just a few who don't think the school is EVER right, no matter what, that keep it from happening.

Anyway, dress code isn't just an issue in school, it's an issue in the workforce as well. I've been shocked at what some of the younger female teachers have worn to work - then it turned into a somewhat pleasant treat, in a normal, guy situation - sorry, where was I? Oh, yeah! Before I was a teacher, I was a supervisor at a local company, and dress code was just as much an issue there as it was in school. That was when the corporate mini-skirt and revealing blouses were in vogue. I didn't care that much, but the company sure did!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid
I don't think racial profiling should be a part of this...the general statement highlighted in red should have been enough...
first, i did not intend for it to be considered a racial matter. It's just the truth. If you came down here and just drove by the schools when they were getting out, you would wholly agree with me about the profile of the people at those schools. I just thought that some people might like to get the background info on the issue. Honestly, how often will you find white people with grillz. Almost NEVER! That's why i noted the ethnicity of the people of those schools. Of course the students there don't see a problem there because they think it's cool and they don't want to conform and listen to authority (like vike said).
Quote:
Originally Posted by druid
...HOWEVER...since you brought it up...It seems that this is the more prevelent problem associated wit public schools and families in general. The Liberals say we can't spank our own child or it's abuse (not to be confused with whippings with venician blind cords, beaten with pool cues and similar attacks), nor can we smack them in the mouth for speaking inappropriately. They consider anything beyond "Time-outs", "little-chats" and 'grounding' as abuse and created/enacted laws to prevent it - effectively scaring parents into not being able to manage their children. Then this ^^ is what you get...a mass of uncivilized, under educated, lethargic and likely violent group of juvenile delinquents that are antisocial and then housed together because no one knows what to do with them. Society created this mess and is trying to clean it up.
Second, i completely agree with you about the whole punishment issue. I think that some kids just need a good old whipping sometimes. I got mine handed to me a couple times when i was a kid and now i'm leading a straight life, headed to college on scholarship, and staying out of trouble. The problem is that many of them don't have true families that care and want to see the best for them. There are so many opportunities for them to get scholarship and aid it's not funny. I actually get kinda po'ed at the affirmitive action and all that BS that "levels the playing field". I, as a white male, worked hard to get to where i am yet i can't get into a better college because they don't want to look like they aren't including enough other races. Don't get me wrong in that i don't like where i'm going, i love UTDallas cuz it's engineering programs compete with some ivy leage schools and it only costs like a third of the ivy leagues and i got a full ride all thanks to the ACT test (i hate the SAT). ok, getting back on topic. Sure, go ahead and blame society for people's problems but ultimately it's someone trying to find the scape goat for their screw ups. Sure we are trying to help, but you can't help those who don't want it.

Ok, now on to vikes dress code. I wholly agree on the issue of dress codes for schools. Much better than uniforms in my opinion. My private school had them and yes people bent and broke some of the rules but any time someone pushed it too far, they were sent to the deans. Usually, the ones who get in trouble are the fishes and sophs. they are the ones need the most guidance. Last year as a senior, they let stuff slide since they know we know the boundaries and won't push it. Trust me, there were plenty of short skirts that never got busted and i didn't mind one bit. But, there definitely should be a dress code because it does keep people in line and you don't need to buy all the latest clothes. If i had to buy clothes for public school, i wouldn't have any money in my bank account at all. So main point is, dress codes save you money yet provide enough flexibility to give you some choice of what to wear.