Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default McAfee help

I need to get MacAfee uninstalled. Can someone help me with this?
Old 07-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Marine Corps.

Default Re: McAfee help

to to my computer, control panel, add remove programs, then look till you see mcfee ... click on it and then uninstall button on the right ... easy as that

Tell me if your having trouble .. will help you out if you are
Old 07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Thanks, Oog - I figured it out though.

Sorry for being so vague before - I was helping my brother over the phone (have been since 8:30) and he was talking to me while I was trying to type. I got McAfee uninstalled - hell of a lot easier than it was to uninstall Norton, that's for sure! I didn't think the add/remove programs thing would work, but it did. He now has AVG, spybot and Ad-aware on his computer (thank God!)

I think his daughter did a number on his computer. She's got this habit of downloading stuff, then deleting random files if the computer starts acting up....drives me nuts trying to clean up after her. She screwed with my parents computer (then blamed my kids for it - my kids won't even add a favorite or delete a Word page they just typed without our permission, so I know it wasn't them!) I think she's done the same thing to his computer. First, it started with Corel Word Perfect acting up, then moved to Sonic (trying to update, but needed the disc, which he didn't have) then moved on to finding some programs he knew nothing about on a jump drive, which wasn't stopped before it was removed (twice!) and so on then moved to Roxio, and back to Sonic, etc. and so forth. The computer's only 8 months old - and it's in a world of hurt already.

Ok, I need to get into the .ini file (I think it's an .ini file) that lists all the programs that are active from when the machine starts up. Anyone know what that file is off the top of their heads? Not the "Start" then "startup" file. The hidden file that lists ALL the files that you can click or unclick....

Thanks guys!
Old 07-12-2006, 03:54 AM
Bling Bling Bling

Vike,

go to start then run.

type msconfig

then you go to the startup tab.

HacKeR

Trust
*AO*IO*KUSA*PBN*PHOG*
You have been roshamboed
BAMF-Hacker's Mood: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 05:06 AM
Banned

AVG needs to go... tell him that now... that is the most worthless pile of **** ever. all of these programs (save ad-aware) are more annoying than any virus ive actually had... i mean wtf... norton must have some sensor thats like when cpu usage is at 100% ask them to update and begin scanning the computer.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:18 AM

Like bamf said, msconfig is the way to cleanup the startup deck. Here's a link to another good utility to monitor what runs at startup: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

I recently uninstalled McAfee and replaced it with the ZoneAlarm Internet Suite. It takes some time to get it set up, but once you have configured, it works really well.

And yeah, Norton products have always been resource hogs and incredibly difficult to completely uninstall.

Last edited by meruhl : 07-12-2006 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:26 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

THAT'S the file I was looking for. Thanks guys!

Claus - AVG has been the best virus program and firewall I've ever had. It catches things Norton and McAfee never caught before. Same with Spybot and Ad-Aware...they've worked great for me for a long time.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:03 AM
wat

I recommend Avast anti-virus over any program I've ever had. It's free and catches everything I've ever seen and when it detects a virus, an alarm goes off and says "Virus detected." and it uses abour 1/20th of the resources Norton does..
Old 07-12-2006, 08:15 AM
12/26/03

avg has always worked great for me.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:26 AM
My money is going into my car. What's paintball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshadow
I think his daughter did a number on his computer. She's got this habit of downloading stuff, then deleting random files if the computer starts acting up....drives me nuts trying to clean up after her. She screwed with my parents computer (then blamed my kids for it - my kids won't even add a favorite or delete a Word page they just typed without our permission, so I know it wasn't them!) I think she's done the same thing to his computer.

My girlfriend does that... and then when she pisses even more about the computer not working, I have to go over and re-install all the drivers and hardware that she went through and deleted when she was oblivious to the fact that they werent spyware. Ugh...

She uninstalled the sound drivers once and was *****ing because everything that came out sounded like the chipmonks on parade. Since she is German/Irish like me, shes stubborn and doesnt listen to you if you try to tell her otherwise.

Quote:
armedfuture (3:14:56 AM): they get upset easy when you use big words like "rental" and "air"