Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2006, 05:46 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default Hehehe!

Ok, in honor of my first full day of summer vacation (let the post whoring begin!!! ) I'm opening up with this INTERESTING topic I ran into on another forum I've been visiting.

The topic: Wiping - is it cheating, or a foul? Should we, as paintballers, be concerned with honor and integrity and having fun, or should we be interested in winning, getting the girl, the money and being King of the Mountain?

I personally find these two threads eye opening in that so many people think it's ok to cheat by comparing it to other sports - an by how widespread the idea has become. I mean, some of these guys are actually FIGHTING when they say it's ok to wipe, if the situation calls for it (as if it ever could!) Using an example that seems common on these types of threads: A lineman holds someone and gets a penalty. Wiping is a foul and shouldn't be considered cheating...

BUT, let's be more realistic - when you hold in football, the other team doesn't lose a player, leaving the team a man down and thus making your team stronger. No, it just changes the field position, usually not by very much. When you wipe, and subsequently eliminate another player, their team is now at a disadvantage. Not to mention the fact that the youngun's see this and say, "Cool! That's what I'm gonna do!"

Make sure you read both complete threads linked below, and then feel free to give your thoughts. Remember, these are two completely different forums, with people from all over the country registered.

Here's the thread I found.

Here's another one I found with a slightly different point of view.

Let the discussion begin!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Hehehe!

According to the rules, if a paintball breaks on you, then your out. No ifs, ands, or buts. Wiping tries to hide the fact that you got hit and in essence is cheating because you are breaking the rules. That's my .02
Old 05-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Fluent in Stroll

haha, we have the exact same format as pbaz.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

So no one besides emf has anything to say about this? Wow! I thought for sure this would get a rise out of someone...cough**druid**cough.....

Or is it that everyone is getting used to the idea of wipers as just a "foul" and not really anything bad????
Old 05-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Bling Bling Bling

wiping is cheating... PERIOD!!!

If you wiped a hit off it is because you actually got hit.... Which means you are out.

A foul would be giving a live player paint as you walked off the field...

My .02

HacKeR

Trust
*AO*IO*KUSA*PBN*PHOG*
You have been roshamboed
BAMF-Hacker's Mood: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:10 PM
I Like Me

the point of the game is to mark the other player. If you get marked and wipe it than you have cheated, period. Its the same thing as in a hockey game after someone scores, you take the puck out of the net and tell them it was never in and deny them the point.

There is no middle ground, no place where it is acceptable, if you wipe, you cheat, no foul, straight up cheating and i dont know how anyone can defend otherwise.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Indian

Heh that 2ffu kid wouldnt have a face left if he lit me up like that.... All that would be left would be a bloody mess with my fist prints in it...

Well now that thats out... Cheating is unforunatly part of paintball in the form or Wiping, illegal board settings, layers of clothing..... Well my thoughts on it are the same as Bamf.

I personaly think that we should make the punishment more for cheating... I.E. if the winning team of the torney is caught in any form of cheating instead of just pulling him and a buddy.... Simply take the option of all the prize money away... say like that kid wipped... If this team ends up getting any money Deduct $500 from it. and if they dont win simply charge them a $50 dollar fine....

Money is everything and money makes the worst punishments..

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=1831 <-FEEDBACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwjimmy
Props to thechubbss12......
the appraisal pimp!!!!
http://www.splatsavers.homestead.com/products.html <- buy these headbands!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:11 PM
RaWr

I have been around the tourney scene for a LONG time now and one thing I have notice that has changed through the years is this...

when the tourney scene first opened up people would velocity ramp for greater distance and to install more pain, after awhile people started realizing how stupid that was

Then after electros were the norm people started buying "cheater boards" boards that ramped or had full auto settings that could be hidden or disguised. this was killed mostly due to PSP's ramping rule. Allowing ramping at a set speed has killed most of this type of cheating.

Now we have this wiping thing, MANY big tourney ballers feel that wiping is just like a foul as you said. I personally feel that if we allow it to be just a foul and have a sufficient penalty just like in football holding or a face mask ranges from 5 - 15 yards. Have a 2-1 or 3-1 more likely a 2-1 but still don't ridicule the wiper, yes its wrong but so isn't a intentional face mask, that person doesn't get flack from everyone it just puts his team at a disadvantage.

So overall cheating has been an issue with our sport since it started, if we accept it and apply the correct punishment and take it as a foul then our sport will be able to continue. If we start kicking out every player that has ever wiped a hit then our sport will slowly become like curling, completely safe with less then .5% of the population playing it.
"If society is tranquil, it is not because it is conscious of its strength and its well-being, but because it fears its weakness and its infirmities; a single effort may cost it its life. Everyone feels the evil, but no one has courage or energy enough to seek the cure."
Old 05-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Has Been

i think wiping can be practiced...and if they do it there should be a huge penalty if cought....and like vike said

"when you hold in football, the other team doesn't lose a player, leaving the team a man down and thus making your team stronger. No, it just changes the field position, usually not by very much. When you wipe, and subsequently eliminate another player, their team is now at a disadvantage. Not to mention the fact that the youngun's see this and say, "Cool! That's what I'm gonna do!""

well I agree that it changes the whole game...but its just that game, BUT WIPING SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED...IMO if a team gets cought for wiping they should be out of the tourney that there in. it shouldnt be allowed.

I was playing woodsball with a group of 25 kids, for a younger friend of mines birthday party. i honestly was the best one there, and most expirenced, being one of the only ones that have played before. some kids watched PB on ESPN2 and all, and hear the ppl wiping, and they did it. i light up some kid with about 5 balls(woodsball sorry i didnt know if they hit them.) and well he wiped all 5 balls, by the time the ref came. they were bad wipes, one was on the mask and he only got part of it, which the ref called him out, and he had to sit out a game because he wiped

but back on track. i think that the team that wipes should get thrown out of the tourney, because if they cheat its not fair, so i think that it would be good in the name of paintball, so they get more airtime and all, that they have stricker rules

my bottom line: If a kid is watching Paintball on TV, professional paintball, and they see wiping and all they will do it. its like a child who is brought up doing drugs or whatever, they will most likely do drugs.

thats just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Has Been

ok so anyways, im watching the news, and a quote from an enron guy who got charged:

"No matter how rich or powerful u are, you have to play by the rules"

sorry i dont know his name, but i thought it fit right in with this topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.