Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2006, 12:04 PM
AKA the Herculine Hero

Default Re: I give up, I need some valve help!

WOW, judging by the look of that massive hole in yours it looks like I've got quite some drilling to do.

I'll post some pics once I get the camera charged up :P

Thanks for the help guys, this is a friendly forum for sure.

So here's the rundown on what I have to do

-Cup the striker (I'll have to figure this one out..)
-Fix the stock bolt
-Drill VA even more
- Seal the exhaust hole

Just wondering though druid, if I'm widening the holes coming from the regulator end, won't I have to widen the holes going into the valve as well? The airflow is being limited by the 3/16'' hole there.

I wish I had a karnivor.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:32 PM
AKA the Herculine Hero

I Have some pics here..

Valve chamber hole, 3/16" I think it's pretty much as big as it'll go before it hits the threading, unless I dremel a larger hole and avoid the threading.

Main Hole, 3/16" - Could use some widening, yet really it's the size of the hole in in the first pic which limits airflow. Modifying one hole wouldn't do much.

Valve Setup (Note that the line isn't exactly on the right angle)

I wish I had a karnivor.

Last edited by Prospekt : 05-16-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:46 PM

Respected, period.

I had about the same setup as you did, almost exactly with the exception of regs, I had a BL Torpedo. I got rid of my stock VA and got a high flow VA and it solved all my problems. I agree with bob and say its the VA. Work on that and then if that doesn't work try something else. I had a BL/32* VA with LPC and I got it off of ebay for like $20 I think, and that was shipped.

Here is a link to the VA I bought off of eBay. VA w/LPC

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations

Last edited by shunut : 05-16-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:35 PM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

When my E-99 was still LP, I had the exact same setup as you and it ran at 300psi @ 285fps. I would never even consider drilling out the whole VA as Druid showed. IMO that's way too much flow and just asking for efficiency probs not to mention a big time leak from the LPC since the hole runs into the LPC threads -

If you compared the ASA hole in yours(pic above) to mine, imagine 2 more holes the same size as the one you have there, one on each side of your existing drilled hole. It is essentially a slot not a round hole -

The Rocket valve was left all the way opened after I tested different positions and springs. A light 32* main spring is used -

Funny thing is, I've transferred all components and mods over to my Imagine and it runs at the same pressure. Every time I shoot it I think to myself, "Man, you have this Spyder thing to an art". It just runs so smooth, is quiet and efficient. I have a bunch of different markers but choose to shoot my Imagine every time I go to the field -

As far as your burping prob goes, I think you may have cut the valve shaft too short and you're just not getting enough pressure to the striker. Get a Rocket valve repair kit and try it again -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 05-16-2006, 06:11 PM
not a nublet, sheesh.

Darn kingman and their tolerancing, basically the same thing has happened to me, I can't get my spyder to go lower, even with a completely drilled out floor plate in the VA I'm hoping that a CIP assualt block or a trinity VA will fix the problem. One note is if you read otter's page, for his budget LP spyder, he couldn't get it low enough until he put on an aftermarket high flow VA.
Trinity Front block
IPS Sunbear Bolt
Dark Horizon titanium striker

Green/silver VSC CCI Phantom

Red/Black PMR SE
Old 05-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Marine Corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON
When my E-99 was still LP, I had the exact same setup as you and it ran at 300psi @ 285fps. I would never even consider drilling out the whole VA as Druid showed. IMO that's way too much flow and just asking for efficiency probs not to mention a big time leak from the LPC since the hole runs into the LPC threads -
Well .. druid has a different VA ... most likely ...
For me i just drilled out half of it and saw how much space i had left till the o-ring on my LPC ... left about .. 1/16"till the o-ring and wala ... didn't really have any leaking problems ...

Not sure about too much flow ... never really tested that yet .. i just used it as a fiddling gun.

Can also drill the LPC -> valve hole out as far as possible until it gets to the point where it would hit the screw, but maybe 1/8" away from the left side for safety reasons.. do that on the other side 1/8" to be away from the right side .. then drill out that part with measurements till it's 1/8" away from the top of the screw ... and higher flowing !!! ... (havn't tried this yet, but druid has, so we really havta wait for a reply on him for the efficiency thing ...
Old 05-17-2006, 12:18 AM
New Guy

Hello everybody! first, sorry for my english, i am french.

Just a question: if u Seal the exhaust hole (u mean close, right?), how the air that blowback the hammer will goes out after the recock of the hammer?
The air will goes out by passing thru the pin valve?

Thank all!

regards.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:25 AM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospekt
Just wondering though druid, if I'm widening the holes coming from the regulator end, won't I have to widen the holes going into the valve as well? The airflow is being limited by the 3/16'' hole there.
yes you would but be careful not to breech the screw hole that mounts the VA to the body
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon
When my E-99 was still LP, I had the exact same setup as you and it ran at 300psi @ 285fps. I would never even consider drilling out the whole VA as Druid showed. IMO that's way too much flow and just asking for efficiency probs not to mention a big time leak from the LPC since the hole runs into the LPC threads
I used the same thing on my Esprit without any efficiency issues at all. Ask Bomberpilot07...he has it now. And it doesn't leak as you think it does. The miracles of teflon tape are a beautiful thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by estabanFR
if you Seal the exhaust hole (u mean close, right?), how the air that blowback the hammer will goes out after the recock of the hammer? The air will goes out by passing thru the pin valve?
The pressure is lowered so there's no need for a vent. Keeping the vent open only hinders the recocking pressure from reaching full potential (at low pressures) and any excess air is stored in the LPC and regulator
Old 05-17-2006, 02:31 AM
New Guy

ok, thank u druid. but one more question pliz:

in most lp setup, i can see a hard spring for the valve and a soft spring for the stricker. but there is something i dont understand:

for me with a hard spring, the valve will not stay open for a long time, and it will be hard to open it. if she dont stay open for a long time, the air flow will not be big.

with a soft spring, the stricker will have less "power" than with a hard spring to open the valve.

so i dont understand how it can be the best setup for a lot of people.

someone can explain me?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:32 AM
Indian

Holy druid..... Thats an open VA.... about as high flowing as it gets...

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=1831 <-FEEDBACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwjimmy
Props to thechubbss12......
the appraisal pimp!!!!
http://www.splatsavers.homestead.com/products.html <- buy these headbands!