Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Mechanical Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2006, 03:57 PM

Default 285 Fps @ 300 Psi

Been playing around with using HPA and doing a low pressure sort of mod on the MR1 I have installed a delrin bolt, polished the internals and installed a regulator. When I tested it out his morning I was getting 285FPS at 300 PSI. I am having some intermitant cocking issues that I believe is gas related. I am still using the stock valve. I have a magnaport but I had to order some cupseals from Lapco. Nothing I could do could make the Magnaport valve stop leaking air. I have a low mass striker comming and between the valve and striker I am hoping to get it down to around 200 PSI
Old 05-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Marine Corps.

Default Re: 285 Fps @ 300 Psi

... umm... your probably gonna need a spring kit ... heavy valve spring and light mainspring ... the stock mainspring might be hard for it to recock ...
Old 05-07-2006, 09:38 PM

umm... your probably gonna need a spring kit ... heavy valve spring and light mainspring ... the stock mainspring might be hard for it to recock ...

Ahhh forgot to mention that. Already have it and have been playing around with it. Right now I am running heavy main and light vavle to keep the valve open longer. Something that would be nice is if one of the manufacturers out there would make a LPC for the MR1.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:10 AM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frat
..........I have a low mass striker comming and between the valve and striker I am hoping to get it down to around 200 PSI
What you don't know will hurt you. You don't seem to know that taking the pressure down as far as possible is not your goal. Finding the mean of pressure, velocity and efficiency is. Expect your pressure to esculate once you install a very light striker. Not sure about this because all you did was generalize and gave no specifics. A secret huh? -

Far as the leak prob, put the stock valve pin, cup seal and cup seal guide in and the leak should cease. You should get a relatively decent pressure from that till your Lapco is delivered -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 05-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

the intermittant cocking issues are because the marker's starving for air. until you get a high-flow valve in there, it will. Also, you didn't say what delrin bolt you are using. If it's an ACS bolt, sell it and get one like a sunbear (eaglelox on this forum) with O-rings...

Sunbear bolt Here
review on PB Review
review of Nightstriker XL.
With the MR series, I doubt that you would feel the air rushing past a delrin bolt... You need to seal the bolt chamber to get greater psi in the chamber, as well as the striker tube. I used ^^Eagle's products with huge success and highly recomend them.
If that new striker you ordered doesn't work out, get a Nightstriker or go to Otter's site and look up the "dish" mod...should be in Project LP...
Old 05-08-2006, 08:09 AM

What you don't know will hurt you. You don't seem to know that taking the pressure down as far as possible is not your goal. Finding the mean of pressure, velocity and efficiency is. Expect your pressure to esculate once you install a very light striker. Not sure about this because all you did was generalize and gave no specifics. A secret huh? -

I did not mean to be secretive just tired when i wrote the post last night. Here is what I have done so far.

Delrin bolt from Alamo City. I have also ordered one of their strikers. I ordered the one with the orings and a feature I like about it is the air passage going from the valve port to the bore is cut at a radius. This should offer a smoother transition.
http://www.alamocitypb.com/manufactpages/kingman.html

Magnaport valve Ebay

Aim Shock regulator Ebay

Lapco bottom line adapter block, Vertical ASA adapter and cup seals.
http://lapco.net/prod/accessories/spy_accessories.html

OK my understanding of LP is that you are trading volume for pressure which is why the high flow and low mass components are required. When I install the new striker and get the magnaport valve to work I expect to drop down to a medium main spring. Right now the gun is set up with a heavy main and a light valve. With the magnaport, light striker and lower pressure there should not be a problem with getting the valve open and getting air through the marker. I am going on what I have read and my understanding of how the marker works and air flows through it. I would like to see if I can get it down to 200PSI and see if it will still function. I am happy to have it working below 400PSI but I am curious to see exactly what I can squeeze out of it. I am going to get a T board with a bounce beam eye set up. I have found with the E trigger installed that you can shoot faster than the gun can feed. I never chopped a ball with the mechanical set up but I have cut quite a few with the E-trigger. I thought at first it was the new bolt but when I put the stock bolt back in it was doing the same thing.

Last edited by Frat : 05-08-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:52 AM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

OK you got some of it right and some not.

1) You cannot predict what the best spring combo will be. That's up to your marker and trial and error -

2) Depending on the weight of the striker, lighter means less dwell duration, less dwell duration means less flow to the barrel and striker, less flow to the barrel and striker means upping the pressure to achieve velocity and recocking. All depends on the weight of the striker -

3) The aformentioned depends on the volume put out by the reg as well -

4) You have no LPC on that setup therefore you have no excess volume reserve to feed the valve at high rof's -

If I were to do a project as such I would:

1) Use a bottom line reg -

2) Use a New Designz or Rocket valve -

3) Keep a modified heavy weight striker for a decent dwell -

4) Drill out the existing foregrip for volume and tap the bottom for an adapter for a line-in -

5) Add an e-frame -

Did you make that shoulder stock or buy it and adapt it yourself? Is it steel or aluminum? -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 05-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

OK my understanding of LP is that you are trading volume for pressure which is why the high flow and low mass components are required. When I install the new striker and get the magnaport valve to work I expect to drop down to a medium main spring. Right now the gun is set up with a heavy main and a light valve. With the magnaport, light striker and lower pressure there should not be a problem with getting the valve open and getting air through the marker.
Provided that there are no air leaks in any other part of the marker
I am going on what I have read and my understanding of how the marker works and air flows through it. I would like to see if I can get it down to 200PSI and see if it will still function.
I doubt that it'll happen. I had an Esprit that I got to 200psi @ 279 FPS but it required a significant amount of modifications to do it. The parts alone cost me $350 (and most were used parts).
I am happy to have it working below 400PSI but I am curious to see exactly what I can squeeze out of it.
Id suggest shooting for something around 350/375psi and be happy with that
I am going to get a T board with a bounce beam eye set up. I have found with the E trigger installed that you can shoot faster than the gun can feed. I never chopped a ball with the mechanical set up but I have cut quite a few with the E-trigger.
...and now you're going to make it worse...
I thought at first it was the new bolt but when I put the stock bolt back in it was doing the same thing.
It's because of the angle feed and a slow hopper.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:39 AM

I am going to get a T board with a bounce beam eye set up. I have found with the E trigger installed that you can shoot faster than the gun can feed. I never chopped a ball with the mechanical set up but I have cut quite a few with the E-trigger.
...and now you're going to make it worse...
I thought at first it was the new bolt but when I put the stock bolt back in it was doing the same thing.
It's because of the angle feed and a slow hopper.

Actually I do not plan on shooting it on full auto or ramp it and realize that the angle feed slows the works down. I am using a Revy Tripod on the marker which can keep up with my pilot. For me I want the T board for the eye set up. I want to make sure the marker will fire only when a ball is present. I play in the woods and I do not need the to fire 36 balls a second. The stock is what came with the marker with the top rail removed. I cross drilled it and usa a quarter inch ball lock pin to retain it.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Spyder Addict

That cut off stock looks great man! Awesome idea! How's it perform?