Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Shop Talk > Custom Shop
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2006, 01:44 PM

Default aluminium files?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I wasnt sure were to put this and i figured most of the people in this section of the forum would kno this sort of thing. I dont really know anything about working with metal. I was wondering if there is any specific type of file that would be used for fileing aluminium. Were could i purchase files for working with aluminium and how much would they cost. Links would make me very happy. Thanks for all of the help!

Lucius

Old 04-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Banned

Default Re: aluminium files?

i got one at the home depot for about 10 bucks
Old 04-30-2006, 02:23 PM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

A file is a file as far as I'm concerned. Aluminum is just a soft metal so have a wire brush handy to clear the imbedded particled from the file occasionally -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 04-30-2006, 03:30 PM

ok. Thanks for the help. I just wasnt sure so i figured i would ask. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Sorry Dragon... but "a file is a file" is incorrect IMO. 'File' describes a certain tool but within the tool's classification, there's a HUGE differecne.

You would not want to use a wood rasp on your marker, nor would you want to use a chiseling gouge..which are considered 'files'.....

Steel MILL files are intended for soft metals like copper, brass, aluminum and carbon steels. Carbide files are intended for harder steels and cast Iron.

Jeweler's files are thin, small and typically delicate. Some are only covered in diamond dust. These are excellent for finishing up a surface that you used a MILL file on.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:55 PM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

OK better put, and I should have stated it this way: a metal file is a metal file. since he was using it on metal, you'd think technicality 'metal' was already established. metal files have tighter hatching on them. wood files have wider hatching. And of course Druid, smaller files are for smaller jobs. He's using the files on aluminum so it really doesn't matter if he's using carbide or plain hardened steel. They're both going to serve the same job where aluminum is involved. He'll most likely end up getting the cheaper hardened steel anyways since it costs less. Technically he could even get away using a wood file on aluminum since aluminum is so soft but it would be a hack job -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 04-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

**kiss** It's ok Dragon...I still wuv ya
Old 04-30-2006, 09:51 PM

Make sure you buy a "file brush". About $5 from most hardware stores (or call it a "suede brush" and buy it from a shoe repair place...it's the same tool).

When working with soft metals like this, you really need a file brush handy because the files will load up quickly.

Other then that, working with aluminum is almost like working with wood. Infact, with a little cutting wax most "wood" working tools (band saws, circular miter saws, etc) will cut aluminum just fine w/o even needing to switch blades (just don't put aluminum shavings in your compost pile).

Last edited by Zenin : 04-30-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 AM

Alright. Thanks for all of the help guys. ill have to see how much money i have left after tonight (Its prom season... my wallet is already thin and i still need to get flowers). Thanks again