Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Electronic Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2006, 04:15 AM
Spyder Vet

Default Broken dust cap

Last week I was target practicing different paintballs in my gun after dialing in the springs. Since I wasn't playing there was no need for a mask. I had my face close to the rear of the marker and was sighting down the barrel when something flew off and hit me in the bridge of my nose. I felt a little blood, and looked down. The upper portion of the striker bolt plug (part 23fa) had broken off and flown into my face. The lower part that has the velocity adjuster was still in place and locked in with the quick release pin. I called Spyder support and they were very helpful. We ran through the parts on the gun, everything was in place and correct. Funny thing is there is no sign of damage to the body from the cocking pin travelling too far back (along with the bolt), the striker bumper/washer is in place and the gun continues to work fine. I did notice; from day one, that the bolt plug has about 1/4" of wiggle room-play in it. The polished pin that holds it in place in the body doesn't fit tightly in the groove of the plug or the marker body. Is this normal? Should I look for a larger diameter pin to reduce the amount of slop the plug has in it? I could go to the hardware store and find a grade 5 bolt or pin slightly larger than the stock unit. What caused the plug to break? Obviously the bolt struck the plug; but how? Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Default Re: Broken dust cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_Bravo
Last week I was target practicing different paintballs in my gun after dialing in the springs. Since I wasn't playing there was no need for a mask. I had my face close to the rear of the marker and was sighting down the barrel when something flew off and hit me in the bridge of my nose. I felt a little blood, and looked down. The upper portion of the striker bolt plug (part 23fa) had broken off and flown into my face. The lower part that has the velocity adjuster was still in place and locked in with the quick release pin. I called Spyder support and they were very helpful. We ran through the parts on the gun, everything was in place and correct. Funny thing is there is no sign of damage to the body from the cocking pin travelling too far back (along with the bolt), the striker bumper/washer is in place and the gun continues to work fine. I did notice; from day one, that the bolt plug has about 1/4" of wiggle room-play in it. The polished pin that holds it in place in the body doesn't fit tightly in the groove of the plug or the marker body. Is this normal? Should I look for a larger diameter pin to reduce the amount of slop the plug has in it? I could go to the hardware store and find a grade 5 bolt or pin slightly larger than the stock unit. What caused the plug to break? Obviously the bolt struck the plug; but how? Has anyone else had this happen?

Re-read your own post, and tell me again why it is you didn't need a mask? Murphy's Law, perhaps? Perhaps your parents will be the next set on National TV describing the horrors of your lost eye(s)...game play or not.

And this has happened before...you'd know if you did a search/looked around in the forums...
Old 04-03-2006, 06:44 AM
why am i not at my post?

here is a link to i think what happened to your marker http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=1731
hope this works out for ya...btw u should always wear a mask even when just target shooting
Old 04-03-2006, 01:08 PM
xXH4Cker

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid
Re-read your own post, and tell me again why it is you didn't need a mask? Murphy's Law, perhaps? Perhaps your parents will be the next set on National TV describing the horrors of your lost eye(s)...game play or not.

Couldnt have said it better.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:41 PM

The exact same thing happend to me yesterday while playing with my friends. Luckily i was wearing my mask (middle of a game) and didnt even notice. I dont know if its possible but it seems to have increased my airflow. After the match when the damage occured my friend said plz check your gun coz you just split my hand open with a paintball. thats when i noticed the damage. I had just chronoed like 10 min befor but after the cap was gone i got like a 20fps increase that i had to change springs to get back down. Is kingman doing anything about this problem or does someone need to loose an eye first. And yes definitly always wear your googles even when practice shooting but last i checked the lenses were designed to stop paintballs not flying bits of steel.

on a side note i think this is where alot of the recoil (that was causing me to double shoot per one pull) was coming from. Likely its also what caused my velocity set screw to fall out and the velocity adjuster to be always on the move.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Spyder Vet

My father won't be on TV since he's dead. I AM the parent; I'm a 40 year old father of 3. Being new to paintball I assumed the only need for a mask would be for protection from being shot at. How would I know to search the forums for something breaking off due to blowback if I've never encountered it before? I don't wear a mask when target practicing with a regular firearm so I didn't see the need. In the future I will wear safety glasses though. Thanx for the info TK-421.

Last edited by Sandman_Bravo : 04-03-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

My apologies Sandman...but only for the 'parents' comment. Normally, the boards are swarmed with children under the age of 17...who, for some reason, just don't 'get it'...and we are left to fend away the very angry parents of wounded children and the biased, "action news" glory-hounds...

I still maintain my opinion that you should always wear eye protection when working around markers...the point is that stuff happens (hence my reference to Murphy's Law) which you happened to experience first hand. It WILL happen again. What will happen? Who knows...but the Law will assert itself any chance it can.

After going through life with only one working eye, I have gained an immense appreciation for what I had - up until shortly after my 34th birthday. That was when a surgical procedure became available to correct the problem I had. I can't imagine having to go back to that and certainly wouldn't wish it on anyone else...nor will I apologize for it.
Good luck with your marker and I'm glad you're ok.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Spyder Vet

Thanx, and congrats on your recent op. I had read your post on the incident prior to this one. I can understand your fervent position on eye protection.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Marine Corps.

... umm.. that's your venturi popping out Dr.No ... and that is one of the boltmod's actually ... the venturi should have been loctited though ... ?? ... anyways ... that does increase the velocity ... and all of that good stuff though ...
Old 04-03-2006, 08:04 PM

The acs bolt doesnt have the venturi correct? My pilot has the acs bolt.