Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Banned

Default Suggestions for the new forum

I think since this new forum is still in its infacy it wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone to make some REASONABLE suggestions. I think there's a few things that could be improved on, and would make everyone happier with the forum.

First off, I would like the option to be able to view the forum in vBulletin2 style. Right now its in vBulletin 3 style, and I think the threads don't flow as well as with vB2. Look at www.dragva.com/forums for reference. Goto the bottom and make sure its in vBulletin2 Style. It puts all the user info to the left side, instead of being above the post. PBNation also uses vB2 style, or atleast its an option.

Secondly, custom user titles. I dunno if thats gonna be a privelage or not, since we still don't have full use of the forum yet, but I think that'd be a nice thing. I didn't like being stuck with the one I had. Mine was "I Bought an Acura." It was nice when I first got my car, but after awhile it kinda got lame. To be able to change it would be nice. I know on PBN the swear filter also works on the user titles, so we wouldn't have to worry about it. You could make avoiding the swear filter on titles a bannable offense on the first violation, be strict on it.

Third, member only sections. At www.dragva.com, there are certain forums which are not viewable by guests. One of those is Road Kill, which is the race story section, the others are SPO(flame section), Eye Candy(pics) and Off Topic. Maybe make the NPT forum viewable only to members, and maybe a few others.

Fourth, a veteran's forum, that needs permissions to join. Maybe make it only for "patrons" or whatnot. We all know that Otter's website takes money to keep on the net, and we ALL know how beneficial its been to all of us. I think as a special privelidge for donating to Otter, those can have a special color username and allowed into another forum. It may seem like Otter trying to profit off of us, but this is just an idea I came up with from other forums. I have no problem donating a certain amount a year, like say $20, to be a "patron" or whatever the title is. I know how important it and helpful his site was to me, and I wouldn't mind helping him out, and this is a way for all of us to help him. For all the work he has done to put that site up and help all of us, the least we could do is help him out. I dunno how much it costs him to run the site for a year, but maybe you, Otter, could look into your yearly costs, figure a reasonable rate to make it. DragVA does this because the original owner of the forum is a young guy, and the costs weren't cheap running that forum. Ads helped, but the patronage has helped a lot I'd say, and people there have seemed to have no problem donating even more than the $20 I suggested for this site. One year patronage there is $30. The benefits there are increased PM storage, ability to view certain forums, the Black Hole(where deleted threads and the archived threads are) and a few others. Their names also show up Pink, unlike the normal blue.

Thats about all I've come up with. If you guys have any other ideas, share them, but be intelligent and reasonable. I'm sure the guys are willing to listen, but only to mature and reasonable requests.

I took the time to write all this, so all you ADD kids(Hoppy) better read it all. Honestly, I had been a member here for a year and a half when I got banned. At first I was like, "pfft, oh well", but after a few days I had to reregister and get back on. I kinda found an online home here, and I know there's a lot who feel the same way as me. To us veterans, we are like family. I'm just trying to help out with the new forum, since I consider this my online home more than any other forum.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Resident *******

Default Re: Suggestions for the new forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeZus
I took the time to write all this, so all you ADD kids(Hoppy) better read it all. Honestly, I had been a member here for a year and a half when I got banned. At first I was like, "pfft, oh well", but after a few days I had to reregister and get back on. I kinda found an online home here, and I know there's a lot who feel the same way as me. To us veterans, we are like family. I'm just trying to help out with the new forum, since I consider this my online home more than any other forum.
QFT!

Well said. I agree with most of it, and I wouldn't mind the OS forum or patronage thing being a part of this forum. I know how much it costs to get hosting for stuff like Otter's site, and it is quite a pretty penny.

I agree on the styling as well, the vB2 style is much easier to navigate to me.

For the user titles, I don't see why. If the user titles are self-made, then they wont be as special. Heck, everyone would have a good title instead of the "new guy" thing.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 12-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Fluent in Stroll

i just want the old colors back and for the forum to look like it did before. and i like the custom title idea, but make it so you have to earn it.

i dont reall have any suggestions other than making it appear more like thedead kusa

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:48 PM
10/19/03

tl;dr

An Old School/Vet. section would be great though.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:58 AM
New Guy

Poster info down the left hand side.
No big ugly username.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Matrix Connoisseur

im not a fan of the poster info on top either. i think the old school section idea (kinda like OSST on PBN) but i donno how well that would work if everyone registered on more or less the same day.

we also need more themes (colors etc.) to choose from. i dont really like the stock one.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:08 AM
ElAsesino

I want to make a suggestion like marvin-martin's but for more colors thats all.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:48 AM
wat

Just give us a sidebar to make it similar to the old forums, I have PBN set to sidebar and it would be much better.

And I like the idea of an OSKUSA but we can't do it by register date because that would defeat the purpose..it would take time to get everyone who is supposed to be there in there..

And I agree. This website has been my homepage for 3 years, I never changed it even on the multiple occasions it's went down. It's my home and I plan to be here for awhile, and I'd definitely be a "Supporting Member".

And it's good to see some of the oldschoolers that were banned back here
Old 12-30-2005, 11:57 AM

I agree with new colors, preferabbly a scheme close to the old forums (black and orange). Side bar would be awesome as well as avatars. The OS forums is a great idea. As for titles, i kind of liked how you had to be chosen to get one, you couldnt just make your own.

Proud Owner of an Automag!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Banned

I put some thought into this...and it seems to be getting ignored...