Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 AM

Respected, period.

Default I need your opinion on what I should do...

So I've been "building" a website for my little sister's physical therapist... for over a year. It has not taken so long because of me, most of the time has been spent waiting on them. When we first sat down and discussed the website, we laid out the design ideas and general page content. From that I designed the home page in photoshop, to give them an idea of what it would look like and to see if they liked it. After a few very minor changes, they gave me approval on the design. I coded all the pages (some where around 12-15 pages) and had them all up on my site, just as a test so they could see it. I did not have all the content but they told me they were working on getting all the content I needed together. Month goes by, I don't hear anything from them, so I email them and ask the for the content again. After this I email them every 2 weeks asking for the content and either don't get a reply or I'm told they are working on it. 8 months go by and I get a response saying, "We need to get together and discuss the website, iron everything out and get this thing moving." The email really pissed me off because I felt as though they were putting the status of the website on my shoulders, even though I had done everything I could do and was waiting on them. So we get together to discuss the website, and after all is said and done, I have to completely redesign the website. All the work that I had done up to this point is trash and I have to start over. So I redesign it, send them the new design and they "Love it". So once again I build the site and all the pages, but still don't have the content I need. I've been asking for the content for 3 months now and still nothing.

To date, I have been working on this site for well over a year, have 50+ hours into this and have made a grand total of $0. I'm very tired of waiting and on top of that I'm afraid in the end, I'm not going to get paid for my work. So I'm trying to decide what to do. I've thought of telling them that they have until the end of July to get me everything that I've asked for to complete the site, or I'm done. I've thought of just telling them that I'm done. I've thought of sending them a bill for everything that I've done until this point. I've never had this issue before with a client so I'm just not sure how to handle it. The other issue I'm having is, this guy is a great physical therapist and is very good to my little sister, and I would hate to jeopardize that.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 06-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Fluent in Stroll

Default Re: I need your opinion on what I should do...

Let them know that you won't be able to put too much more time into this and need it done by x date. Apologize and say they will have to find someone else after that date. Try and push them into not letting it sit without coming off as rough around the edges. If you are worried about this getting in the middle of your sisters relationship with them just be as sincere and kind as possible while letting them know you can't just have this in limbo for eternity.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

what david said. make it clear to them that even if they may not have a deadline, you do, and if they dont provide you with the materials needed to complete it on time, you'll be billing them for the work done and giving the website to them in its current condition.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 06-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Bling Bling Bling

I am sorry, but your time is valuable. I would bill them for time worked so far so they know you are serious.

It stinks that you have to be careful because of the relationship with your sister, but you still need to get paid for your time.

Trust
*AO*IO*KUSA*PBN*PHOG*
You have been roshamboed
BAMF-Hacker's Mood: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Respected, period.

I talked to my little sister's therapist today and he said that he is going to take every spare second he has to get me what I need. We will see if he sticks to that.

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 06-16-2011, 08:04 AM

I see this kind of problem all the time with healthcare clients. Many of them mean well but they have a hard time making business decisions. Factoring in some handholding time into the contract usually helps. Also presenting a step by step schedule with deadlines and their responsibilities and a clear disclaimer that design delays will cost them more money goes a long way to moving the process along. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:16 AM
KUSA KREW FOR LIFE BABY

if it comes down to you abandoning the project I would hope the therapist has enough professionalism to still provide your sister with quality care, and if not I would suggest it's time to look for another therapist as well...