Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Mechanical Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2011, 06:27 AM
New Guy

Default Lost velocity when going from CO2 to AIR ?

I am new to markers and picked up a very barely used MR1 which I used twice on CO2 and was Chrono'd to approx. 280 both times. When I returned to play for the third time, I cam with a new 3000 psi aluminum tank and I got chrono'd at just under 200. What gives?? Could it be the marker breaking in because it was hardly used, or something worse? I toy'd around with the velocity adjuster at home but didn't have a chrono. Visually it didn't seem to much different with the spring adjusted all the way in or out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Ron
Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Lost velocity when going from CO2 to AIR ?

Its probably the regulator on the air tank. Its normal for air to be outputting less pressure than C02, but that does seem a little on the low side. Is the regulator on the tank adjustable or a low pressure reg? It might need to be turned up, either with shims or whatever depending on the brand (read manual). Its also common for the regulator on the air tank to need a couple hundred shots fired to be broken in.

Also, might as well make sure your bolt is right side up too.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 AM

Respected, period.

Was the tank screwed in all the way?

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 07-13-2011, 08:27 AM
New Guy

yes, tank was in all the way.

It was a brand new 3000 aluminum Ninja air tank that supposedly have really good regulators. Again, his is all new to me so I will have to check out the Ninja manual and see if it's adjustable.

Bolt hasn't been touched from the week before when running on CO2 so the internals are identical. Just added the new air tank.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Resident *******

Bleed ALL the air out of the tank, give it 10 minutes, then double check it's empty. You should be able to depress the pin inside the fill nipple with ease when it is. Gauges lie, you must double check with the fill nipple, either by removing it completely or just depressing the pin. Unscrew the top of the bonnet (while pointing it in a safe direction), and remove the cap. Count the shims, and tell us how many and what colors they are.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 PM

Respected, period.

If you bought it from a local store, I would take your marker and tank into them and tell them the tank is not working with the marker, and see if they can help you. Emptying and messing around with the different parts of the tank regulator is not to be taken lightly and is not for beginners. Doing something wrong could seriously injure you or someone else around you, as well as damage the tank rendering it useless. If you are new to the sport and don't know much about the tank, I wouldn't take it apart by yourself.

KUSA Feedback

Shunut Creations
Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 AM
New Guy

relax... I repair, build, modify mechanics & some electronics every day and I know my limits.

3 shims are in the regulator. First 2 to come out are identical in size and color. Their color was your standard metal but with a slight tinge of red. Almost as if the color was washed off and left a tinge behind. The 3rd and last spacer to come out was half the thickness of the 1st 2 and had no appearance of any colors at all, just metal.

So what does this all mean?

Ron
Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 AM

Its probably time to call support and ask if you got a lemon or at least ask them how to configure the shims:
http://www.ninjapaintball.com/static...yperlinkId=198
Old 07-14-2011, 08:19 AM

Respected, period.

From what I know about Ninja regs, there are usually 2-4 shims. There are a bunch of videos on their website that might help assemble the shims correctly. If you can't find anything on there that helps, you can always do what Lawpass said, call Ninja.

KUSA Feedback

Shunut Creations
Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Simplest thing to try right now is to use it on someone else's gun to see if it still does the same thing. Find someone who already uses HPA and see if they chrono the same with both tanks. If there is still the decrease then follow the other steps that were mentioned here.

There is usually a decrease, at least was for me, when going from Co2 to HPA. Not a huge difference, but enough of one to be noticeable. Could be that it was pretty hot outside the last few weeks and Co2 is pretty temperature dependent. It gets hotter, Co2 shoots harder. Colder outside, and sometimes you can't even shoot your gun! HPA doesn't do that.

In short, I would try someone else's gun that was already set up for HPA, then if it does the same, you can watch the videos or take the gun and tank in to your shop to have them check it out. Or call Ninja.