Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Mechanical Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM
New Guy

Default MR4 questions and opinions on barrel and scope

here is my gun:

i am trying to be the sharpshooter/sniper on my woodsball team and im trying to find the most accurate barrel that wont break my wallet and is a good buy. i have a 18" barrel already attached and was sighting in my scope i have for it and it is just extremely inaccurate, as i feel dumb, just as you are all thinking i am it was only 20 bucks so im not totally concerned at all haha. but i was hoping you could give me some advice on some solid and accurate barrels or barrel accesories that would help me out

what im lookin at gettin is:
http://www.rap4.com/store/paintball/...barrel-package

here are the scopes i have:

http://www.hustlepaintball.com/NCSta...p/20209001.htm

http://www.hustlepaintball.com/Tacti...p/20000201.htm

and the barrel:

http://www.pntball.com/p-1382-18-rec...le-spyder.aspx
Old 03-14-2011, 10:59 AM
add 1,794 posts

Default Re: MR4 questions and opinions on barrel and scope

unlike with firearms with paintball, longer barrel doesnt mean more accuracy. honestly I wouldnt go past 16 inches. if you want really good accuracy, you will need to use quality paintballs along with a good paint to barrel bore match. apex barrels are cool though for making hook and trick shots. rifled barrels for paintball guns are pointless, they dont add accuracy or distance to the shot.

dont spend a lot of money on a scope because paintball guns are extremely inaccurate in comparison to firearms. if you really want to get a scope id go with a red dot since you have a lot more viewing area.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Both J&J and Lapco make some great barrels that can use the apex tip. The J&J is pretty quiet too, lots of porting.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:44 PM
New Guy

thanks guys, i read on here that everyone says dont go over 16" barrel and that what i was looking for but i saw that and didnt figure that it would matter...but it really did...in my opinion it is straight crap..but everyone says the apex barrel adds distance to your gun but im quite skeptical..im gonna get a 14 or 16 barrel but any ideas what i should get?
bipod
foregrip
1x30 red dot scope
4x30 ncstar courage scope
Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM
New Guy

and what kind is good quality paint?
bipod
foregrip
1x30 red dot scope
4x30 ncstar courage scope
Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 PM

I've got an Apex, and it really does add some distance. I'd say maybe 50 feetish, which can be a big advantage in a 1 hit game. There are some drawbacks to it though. I was put off by the aiming adjustments so I eventually stopped using it, but some other guys I play with swear by it.

-The balls go further, but the further they go the less likely they are to break. Once you get past the range of a barrel without it, you'll get a lot of bounces, so you end up shooting more.

-The tip itself has some diameter to it so if you're used to closely looking down the barrel, you might find that you're not aiming as well.

-The ball rolls/bounces off the upper part of the apex tip, so the direction the ball travels is at a slight downward angle. To correct and get the range you have to slightly point your barrel upward. This takes some getting used to.

Its also worth mentioning that it you end up with the apex, it adds something like 2 1/2 inches to the barrel's length. If you use the J&J, the removable adapter is another inch, so your 14" barrel would be somewhere in the 17" range. So, I'd suggest the shorter barrel. If you decide against the apex, well the 16" might have more porting depending on manf., and for someone trying to do long shots I'd think that the extra length would let you sight down it better.

Nice gun btw

<EDIT>
Oops, lemme give my opinion on the paint question: For doing long shots, don't buy the cheapest stuff, and buy fresh paint from a local pro shop. The $60 stuff flys straighter than the $40 stuff. Marbs or Premium, are both really nice examples.

Last edited by Lawpass : 03-14-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:12 PM
add 1,794 posts

good quality paint doesnt have dimples and the seam where the 2 halves are connected shouldnt be super noticeable