Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Default Angel questions for a friend

Ok. A friend of mine is dying to buy an Angel. Like the rest of the country though, he can't afford a new one and is looking at used models.

The last time I owned an Angel was back in 01, when I bought it new and sent it off to Cobra for installation of their pixie dust. I got rid of it sometime in 05 and haven't really kept up on them as I should have.

I know there are about a dozen models out there since I owned my blind LCD...so my questions are relatively generic in nature. Remember, he wants to buy used:

Are there any particular models to stay away from? Why?

Are there any particular models that stand out from the others? Why?

If you gave a particular model as one to buy, what might it fetch if let's say it's stock or only moderately upgraded? [Let's say barrel, detents and bolt...]

If you gave a particular model, is there an after market board that takes a 9V battery [instead of those huge Euro ones that I remember]? Link to the board?

He has a Myth reg...which boasts a typical output of 600-650 psi. When I owned mine, it required a low pressure tank reg [actually, it came with a huge freaking "AngelAir" manifold]. Is the Myth "low pressure enough" to operate a typical Angel that requires LP bottle regs or should he get the $13 LP reg kit that lowers the OP to 400-450? Is it low enough pressure or should he get something lower than that?

Any helpful information is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Gun Whore Extraodinair......113 And Counting

Default Re: Angel questions for a friend

The A1 resale is in the crapper so you can pick up for cheap....say $350 with with magno valve.

I have owned the A1 three different times and really liked them. The only problem with them is they are highly anal on lpr settings. A gauge set is pretty much a must unless you enjoy having the bolt stick forward. So either find one that includes the gauge set or be prepared to fork over $50 so you can keep it running.

If your looking for a more carefree angel the G7/G7 fly platform is always referred to as the "workhorse" of angels. Only requires a couple drops of oil in the ASA and its good to go. On the plus side A1 uses newer barrel threads so you can get G7 UL backs for like $20 bnib now.

G7 requires rechargable battery unless you can find a tadao board but those are fairly rare as they were not mass produced. The A1 takes a regular 9V.

Any angel requires either a LP tank or buy a reg adapter and put on a different reg. Yes it will run on HP but the velocity will be all over the place on the G7 and my not go below 300 fps and on the A1 your going to get bolt sticking forward.

Back to gun whoring.....

armedfuture (8:12:32 PM): I'm a big angel
paintball6684 (8:16:09 PM): more like out of control, raging ginger
armedfuture (8:16:40 PM): noooooooo...........