Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > General Spyder Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 PM
New Guy

Default Missing every other shot? 9v batteries not working? Please read!

I have purchased a few brand new Spyder markers lately for me and my neighbor, and most of them suffer from the same issues:

1. Missing every other shot after some use with 9.6v batteries.
2. 9v batteries will not work properly
3. If issue 1 is present, after a full charge the marker works again properly for a while, then it starts all over again without the battery actually being low.

This has happened with a VS2, the newer Pilot, and the brand new Electra I have recently worked on for my neighbor. Same exact problem.

The issue? After comparing all the marker against my RS (the RS never had these problems) I noticed that the solenoid shaft on mine was slightly shorter, so I installed my shaft into the newer markers. Then they started to work just fine! The shaft on these new markers were not punched-in all the way in from the factory.

This means that by having a shorter shaft, it will have more travel time before hitting the release pin, which in turn gives it more force. Is like hammering a nail. Try to hammer a nail all the way in with one hit from 1 inch apart. You simply can't. By increasing the distance at least 3 inches, you will be able to. Is all about physics!!

The fix? Really easy!

1. Remove the solenoid assembly. DO NOT LOOSE THE WASHER OR SCREW!
2. Remove the shaft from solenoid.
3. Place the weight (flat part) on a block of wood.
4. Tap gently the top of the shaft.

I was able to tap it with a hammer very gently until I noticed that the shaft was in its place, it doesn't take much force. If you are concerned about damaging it, you can use another block of wood on the shaft, then tap the block with the hammer.

I was able to fix every marker, they all now work with alkaline 9v, and the 9.6v now lasts a lot longer util is exhausted. This is not a battery saver, but simply after the fix, it will require less energy from the battery to release the bolt.

The proper length from the tip of the shaft to the bottom of the weight is exactly one inch, or 2.54cm (from what I measured). Reply and let me know how it works for you!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:47 AM

Respected, period.

Default Re: Missing every other shot? 9v batteries not working? Please read!

Or you could just put a dime, penny or nickel behind flat part of the solenoid shaft, like many of us have been doing for years, much, much easier. Its called shimming the solenoid.

Edit: I just read this thread again and let me make sure I get what you are saying, making the solenoid shaft shorter, increasing the travel, makes it better? In my experience if you shim the solenoid, as mentioned above, it helps with this problem. Also, if you use a 9.6v rechargeable battery, charge it according to the manual, you won't have problems. I'm guessing that the problem with your 9.6v is that they are burnt out, most likely from improper charging or they could just be old. As far as 9v batteries go, they just generally don't work, which is why Kingman/Spyder puts 9.6v in the markers, not cheaper 9v batteries.

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 09-21-2010, 01:41 PM
New Guy

Read again, this is for brand new equipment with brand new batteries. About the 9v batteries, Kingman notes in the manual of all these markers that 9v alkaline is perfectly fine, which many people (such as myself) will use while on the field if the 9.6v is low and don't have time to charge it. I think adding the penny or dime to the solenoid shaft is okay, but the idea of punching-in the shaft to proper specs seems to work very well. It did work for all 6 markers that we got off the shelf, and this post is just informational. You can fix it whichever way you like.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Old Enough

The increased gap allows the coil set pin to accelerate and make contact with the sear with greater force releasing the striker properly. A small gap will hinder the acceleration and make for a weak contact with the sear.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 AM
New Guy

Well said, straight to the point.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:59 PM
New Guy

Sounds like the issue I am having, but I have not used a kingman battery on it yet.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:10 PM
New Guy

I have had this issue the odd time, haven't thought about the dime though. Might give it a try.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:23 AM
New Guy

I tried the dime trick on my 09 electra... Didn't work for me it actualy made it worse. And i checked the pin on my selonoid and it was actualy a little less than an inch. I tapped it a little just to be sure but it wouldnt go in any more. I did how ever try something else that i thought would work and it did. The spring that is used for the sheer that locks the striker bolt back was too strong. So i compressed it to the lenth i wanted it to be (which was just a little shorter than stock) and i heated it with a torch lighter. After it cooled the spring was weaker. I re installed it and it started shooting perfectly with a regular 9v battery.

Caution!!! This is just a suggestion. Please dont do this if your a child or your not sure of what to do. This should only be done by an adult. Dont play with fire.