Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Mechanical Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Skrifa

Talking Long Range MR1

With the help of the founder of Kingman Arizona's ''Paintball U'' field (currently on hiatus), I pick out affordable, easily swapped parts to take the MR1, a formidable, sturdy weapon, and add range, efficiency and ability.

PARTS OVERVIEW:

A) RAP4’s MR Rifle Clamping Feed Neck
B) Halo B Electronic Hopper
C) LAPCO Big Shot “12 with Apex Tip
D) Ninja Quick Disconnect Remote
Total including gun: Roughly $300

Why the MR1?
Selling point: Durability. In the dozen or so days I've gone out with this marker, I've dropped it in mud, had to clean off mass amounts of paint, run full on into walls to stop myself multiple times with this baby between said wall and myself, and no problems. It’s a beast! Just keeps on firing.
I've always known players with electronic markers to be forced to constantly fiddle with their guns on and off the field. While the MR1, like any marker, will need some regular maintenance, the absence of electronic parts is, in my opinion, a plus.
Also, the look and SOUND of this gun represent a real presence on the field. When you are trying to convince people to push up, fall back, follow the side line etc, holding this rifle and putting hard, loud shots down range really make a difference in an allies mind, and put enemy heads down. My friends agree on all counts.
All this for around $120 dollars. I will say it’s worth buying a marker from a shop. The one issue I've had was a faulty spring. After six or seven days of hard play, the bolt wouldn't catch every time I fired. Didn't stop me from playing for the rest of that day, but I took it to my shop and they fixed the problem, no charge. Worth the $20 I would've saved buying it online.

Upgrades
A) First and foremost, the neck. That plastic piece that comes with the stock kit is going to break within the first few time you fall. Easily replaced, since a good few companies make MR style feed necks. I went with RAP4's clamping feed neck model, online for around $30.

B) Semi automatic or not, the hopper of a gun is extremely important. Though a normal plastic hopper will work, an inexpensive electronic hopper, even at only 10-15 balls a second, will keep a constant flow of ammo and avoid blank shots. I bought a used Halo B hopper from a friend for $30.

C) The barrel on this gun is the most important piece. I took to LAPCO’s Big Shot barrel with the APEX tip. I’d be lying if I said I never used its trick shot abilities of the APEX tip, which is designed to put an arch on the ball allowing shots around corners, over bunkers and buildings, etc. These trick shots sometimes work perfectly but are sometimes lost to the wind.
But for straight shots there is nothing like this barrel and tip combo. The straight shot of this gun will match most pumps I stand up beside or against, something a lot of pump players are shocked and intrigued by. I’m rarely out of range in a fight. If they can hit me, I can sure as most always hit them.
Once I applied this barrel, I saw my paint consumption plummet. I went from spending $30-$40 a day on paint, eating through nearly whole boxes before the barrel, to taking two or three bags for eight or nine hours of play with the Apex’d Big Shot. Better accuracy makes for less shots fired, so cheaper play. I found the barrel and tip in a combo online for around $90. Nearly as much as the gun, I know, but truly worth every penny.

D) Lastly, I bought a remote. Not only for the weight relief (which is noticeable, since the MR1 is a heavy gun on its own), but for the accuracy. CO2 will feed into a marker at varying temperatures, leading to inconsistent shots. Using a remote puts the CO2 through a long line before reaching your marker, thus calming the temperature and making for a steadier shot radius. Another aid to accuracy. I went with Ninja’s Quick Release Remote, found online for around $30.

I hope this helps anyone looking to make a long range rifle without too much crazed work or cash flow. I put my gun together for under $300, and it turns heads everywhere I go.
My thanks to Spyder for such a steady marker.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:54 PM
New Guy

Default Re: Long Range MR1

great! what do you think about the QLoader and send me the website where you find the Lapcon and APEX combo
72Cu/3000 Pure Energy
Old 05-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Skrifa

http://www.ansgear.com/ProductDetail...2-687X&click=2
MUST make sure it is a Spyder threaded barrel, like this says in the title.

Q loader is a beast. Fewer shots per hopper but great for keeping a low profile. Plus, that would keep the gun battery free, and tall hopper like mine is an easy target - never a problem with a well mounted Q
Old 05-12-2010, 05:18 AM
New Guy

12" but with the APEX tip goes to 14"???
72Cu/3000 Pure Energy
Old 05-12-2010, 06:33 PM
New Guy

where do u get a q loader for an mr1
Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Life is peachy

Qloaders are not made specific for guns, any q-loader will fit on the MR1. They used to make an MR series direct attach product but they no longet make it. Most people want them mounted under the barrel or the side of the marker anyway. Most any paintball shops sell the q-loader.

Armored Units

-Deep insertion APC
-Killer "B" Battle Tank
-Troop Transport APC (almost done)
-Gun Truck heavy support unit (In the works)

-Order of Lenin (1st)
-Skyline Sergeant
-YGP Rep!
-Sector 4 team feild honor recipiant (UCSF)
Old 05-13-2010, 01:50 PM
New Guy

thanks i'll try to get one
Old 05-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Skrifa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiN View Post
12" but with the APEX tip goes to 14"???
Lower half of the tip clasps around the barrel, but the top half sits off adding about another inch, so I'd say 13" over all.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:01 PM
New Guy

that Lapco + APEX is better that a 14" smart part Vibe i thinks is the barrel that i have...
Also Trinity Feed neck work like the RAP4 feed neck?
What you think about DYE Rotor
thanks
72Cu/3000 Pure Energy
Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Skrifa

I'd take the Lapco over a Vibe. its a good barrel, don't get me wrong, I just personally back the Apex'd Big Shot 100%, best barrel system I've ever used.

the trinity looks just like the RAP4, and DYE makes a great hopper.

Like I said in the original post, electronic hoppers for this semi auto marker are more for consistent shots than balls per second

Hope this helps.