Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Grammar Nazi in training

Default Need some advice for talking to my parents

I need some advice on how i should tell my parents about a decision i'm making. I've played for 6 years. It's the little bit of common interest i have with my dad, and my parents support my football career more than anything else. But I'm thinking about not going out for the team my next (junior) year. my main reason is that I'm taking 4 hard classes next year (physics, AP [college] chem, AP [college] American history, and Pre-Calculus.) all as a junior. I currently have bad study habits. I'm thinking that i would have trouble getting a balance between football and school. I would rather not go out in the first place than join and have to quit half way thru the season because i cant keep my grades up. I also have a few other reasons:
*I'd like to further persue my musical talents
and
*I've been 'gun shy' in football since i had my concussions and i dont feel like i would perform my best.

How do i tell my parents this? I have a feeling they will just try and try to talk me into going out for the team, but i'm just not sure if i can, or want to...

Pilot Owner's Club Member #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSiv_Force
Here is the ultimate How Not to get bruises..........................
DONT GET HIT
My Photobucket photography Album
Old 04-25-2010, 01:27 PM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

Arrow Re: Need some advice for talking to my parents

How old are you?

Respect your rents guidence but at the same time, it's your life to lead. If you have a bad gut feeling about football then maybe it's time to follow that instinct. Are your rents overbearing? -

I have 3 kids, all are most likely older than you(the youngest is in college) but at a certain age, I just give them advice and if they do what they like and fall on their ass I just say, "Told you so". Was a bit more strict when they were younger but I realize at a certain age they need to make their own decisions since I won't be here forever to hold their hand -

Sit down with them and watch the Water Boy. You can show them that, "Fooosebaw, is the debol!" -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 04-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default Re: Need some advice for talking to my parents

Tell them exactly what you told us. I'd rather my kids come up to me and tell me flat out what's on their minds...if they do try to talk you into it, at least listen to what they say - parents are pretty good at knowing some things. They know you better than we do!

I agree - don't start only to quit. That's not fair to the team, to the coach, to your school, or to you.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Grammar Nazi in training

Default Re: Need some advice for talking to my parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON View Post
How old are you?

Respect your rents guidence but at the same time, it's your life to lead. If you have a bad gut feeling about football then maybe it's time to follow that instinct. Are your rents overbearing? -

I have 3 kids, all are most likely older than you(the youngest is in college) but at a certain age, I just give them advice and if they do what they like and fall on their ass I just say, "Told you so". Was a bit more strict when they were younger but I realize at a certain age they need to make their own decisions since I won't be here forever to hold their hand -

Sit down with them and watch the Water Boy. You can show them that, "Fooosebaw, is the debol!" -
I'm a sophomore in high school. my parents are slightly overbearing, they're not too bad now. i just dont know how to break it to them if i decide to not play. ik this is gonna sound bad, but i'm not trying to sound... idk the adjective... but i dont feel they have the right to make me play, and i dont think they will. they can advise me to do whatever, but i wont let them make that decision for me. like you said, it's my life to lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshadow View Post
Tell them exactly what you told us. I'd rather my kids come up to me and tell me flat out what's on their minds...if they do try to talk you into it, at least listen to what they say - parents are pretty good at knowing some things. They know you better than we do!

I agree - don't start only to quit. That's not fair to the team, to the coach, to your school, or to you.
ok. and i agree with your agreeing. those are the exact reasons i dont want to have to quit. and it would be really hard for me because i dont like quitting. last year, i hated wrestling about 1/4 the way thru the year. but i gutted it out, worked hard, and finished the season.

Pilot Owner's Club Member #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSiv_Force
Here is the ultimate How Not to get bruises..........................
DONT GET HIT
My Photobucket photography Album