Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Respected Player

Default Re: Soc Gdt

Same here. With out contacts or glasses I can barely read anything. I hate it :/
Old 07-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Grammar Nazi in training

been debating about college lately...
chase a dream or be realistic....? hm...

Pilot Owner's Club Member #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSiv_Force
Here is the ultimate How Not to get bruises..........................
DONT GET HIT
My Photobucket photography Album
Old 07-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

be realistic. i learned that the hard way.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 07-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Resident *******

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/m...inting-all-th/

Let's see an iPhone do that!

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 07-02-2010, 06:51 AM

Respected, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballkid0206 View Post
been debating about college lately...
chase a dream or be realistic....? hm...
Whats the dream? I complete disagree with DF. Do what you think will make you happy. If pursuing that dream is what is going to make you happy, do that. You do not want to go to school, get a degree and start a career in field that you can't be happy doing. If you don't like your work, you are going to hate everyday of it and say everyday "I wish I would have went after that dream, I would have been happy."

I went to school to be a nurse. I actually wanted to be a doctor but one time when I was in the hospital I reevaluated that. I wanted to go into medicine to help people, like I've been helped so many times. I realized that the doctor wasn't really the person who was interacting with the patient and was "hands on" with the patient, the nurse was, so I switched my major to nursing. Then the medical field changed, almost overnight. I was in the hospital again and I would see my nurse twice a day, when she got there, and when she left. The rest of the time she was delegating duties to "assistants". I wasn't interested in being an "assistant" so I changed my course again.

It was a long time before I realized what I wanted to do. For a while I was going to go to school to be a mechanic. Then I thought about it and with my health being a mechanic was unrealistic, if I'm not turning wrenches, I'm not making money. That meant that every time I got sick and hospitalized, I'd be in trouble.

I stumbled across web/graphic design. Actually I have a very good friend, on this very forum, who kind of kicked it off. There was a challenge put up on here to design an logo for a new online paintball store. I took the challenge and "won". I had been talking with this person about his new site for a while and he new my mom did web design/programming and ask for help. I talked to my mom and she said, here, I'll teach you what you need to know to help him. She gave me a couple books and I learned what I needed to know to help him. The rest is history. I love doing web design. I get so lost in it. I can start working on something at 8:00am and at midnight be shocked that its midnight. That entire time, I don't feel like I'm working. Thats what you need to find. You need to choose a career that won't feel like work.

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 07-02-2010, 07:21 AM

while josh has a point, dont get a degree just for the money. because if something happens, what do you have to fall back to?

i went to school for engineering. after my first year i decided it wasnt for me, so i switched to network administration because i know my way around computers. another thing to remember is that you WILL need to have some sort of income, because even if you get a full ride scholarship, food doesnt pay for itself. you cant expect to go to college and have everything work out on its own. and from what i know about your family, they dont sound like the kind to send you money every month while youre away at school.

here i am, 3 years later, a semester away from finishing up my associate's degree, trying to figure out how im going to be able to afford living on my own, because i went into it it was all going to work itself out.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Grammar Nazi in training

i want to major in some form of the arts. music or theatre. otherwise it's history in some way. but i dont want my parents to think i went into history because my gf is. i'm also wanting to get a minor in photography, because that's something i'm hoping to do when i'm older.... but if i get a degree in music or theatre, it will prolly be difficult to find a job there. i want to do something that will make me happy, but in a capitalistic country, i need to have a decently-paying job as well...

Pilot Owner's Club Member #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSiv_Force
Here is the ultimate How Not to get bruises..........................
DONT GET HIT
My Photobucket photography Album
Old 07-02-2010, 08:55 AM

Respected, period.

My thoughts are, being happy is way more valuable than making money. Most people always find a way to get by. Being happy and living paycheck to paycheck > Being miserable/hating your career and having money. Of course ideally, making money and being happy > all.

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 AM

yeah, of course, given the choice, having a roof over your head and food in your mouth > working towards your future.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
Old 07-02-2010, 10:11 AM
wat

College shouldn't be a debate. It is an absolute necessity. Do what makes you happy. I majored in Management of IS after debating Meteorology, History, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, etc etc. for years. I now work in a Systems Analyst position and wouldn't trade it for anything. It is literally exactly what I want to be doing.

The trade-off? I get paid about half of what an engineer does in an entry-level position. However, I have awesome co-workers, an awesome job, and I'm married and have flexibility to do what I want. It just isn't all about money. You will never be happy if all you do is chase the dollar.

Do not pass up college. If it takes you 8 years to get a 4 year degree, so be it. Potential employers want to see that you can set goals and achieve them, so set a small goal and work from there. Work and go to school for your associates degree, as that's the best way to buy time to figure out what you want to do in life without wasting valuable time that could be spent in classes. In my opinion, the WORST thing someone can do is go to a large university for 4 years. It costs a fortune and forces immature kids to make career choices immediately out of high school.

Good luck.