Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 AM
THE GAME

Default Re: Soc Gdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrell View Post
Which Terminal output are you talking about for Apt? It has never bothered me. I suppose it's because I haven't used anything else in so long.
I mean that when you use apt-get install, its output is far less readable than when you do Pacman -S or yum install. It doesn't show percent, the packages don't align (which makes it really hard when they fly by fast). And it doesn't matter how wide your terminal window is -- it always looks bad. Yum and Pacman actually make terminal package management much easier in that regard.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 AM
wat

That sounds nice. I'll have to check it out.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:28 PM
THE GAME

Definitely should. I used to have a big bias against RPM in favor of DEB packages -- but I think the issue was really with the fragmented repositories. Debian was one repository (for all distros and branches using apt/dpkg). RPM seems to have grown a lot. I'm not sure which I like "best" any more. I'd like to see a better protocol in repository management in the future though.

As far as the Portage/YUM/HG mashup went, it all came from the sillyness of each distribution's package management process.

Portage/Ebuild
* It's silly for Portage to download the entire source for a new version of an old package. Revision control should be used to locate 1 time diffs and just pull those. Mercurial would be good for that (also written in Python).
* It's silly that Portage ENCOURAGES always compiling. I understand the benefits of the Ebuild system, but for somebody who just wants a run-of-the-mill package all the time, and occasionally wants to tweak for performance, it carries an "all or nothing" burden of compilation. YUM integration for handling binaries might be nice.

Mercurial
* It's actually incredibly stupid that revision control systems have issues with binary executables. I do understand the occasional data file taking up an inordinate amount of diff space, especially ones that are algorithmically designed to be very different (md5 encrypted files, I'm looking at you) but executables aren't as different as vcs systems handle them. Murcurial needs a patch to understand assembly. It's going to be messy, but I think if it can translate opcodes to instructions, it can manage binary executables better. This will play into other modifications.

YUM
* Needs a better "build from source" option. I'm looking at ebuilds.
* Needs to stop downloading a new executable every time, and should manage versions and rollbacks better, I'm looking at mercurial here.

The idea is internally broken down to this (sorry for the crazy flow):

user -requests software update-> VCS (mercurial) -sends current version data, opens signed ssh-> tracker repository -notifies of request and provides signature to respond, sends package checksums-> seed repositories, user pc -bitorrent-like reponse begins by locating a difference from the package version-> seed repo -xz response and sign with tracker-provided key-> seed repo -respond over ssh to user pc with signed xz sections-> user pc -verify signature, un-xz package-> user pc -assemble package with modified mercurial-> user pc -check checksum of package against tracker repo->YUM/Portage hybrid-handle package extraction and meta-data entry - if binary -nothing; else -build with included ebuild->user pc

This would bring principles of decentralization, trust-who-you-want security, package signing, swarm downloading/p2p and efficient network traffic to a package management system. It's actually a decent bit more complex, but I think it does have it's merits (aside from unifying two camps of distros -- the sourcers and the blob men)

***LESS NERDY SPEAK HERE***
Specking of decentralized: I got my diaspora beta invite finally (about a year too late for them). It's interesting.... but it's just facebook without one centralized bad guy logging all of your data. Now it's lots of decentralized bad guys! G+ has some issues gaining steam and it's already ahead of Diaspora. I like what Diaspora is trying to do... they just did it 'wrong', and not fast enough. Even then, it's not really wrong... just unremarkable compared to what exists. Non-nerds definitely won't check it out as it's only a source of confusion and empty pages and lack of features.

It is 3:30 here and this post wouldn't be right without some awkward statement at the end of a long rant -- so here it is. I'm sorry for ever being a cynical ass or opinionated know-it-all, and I'm sorry for leaving the face of the earth. You guys really kick ass.

******Inception*******

I do a lot of reconfiguring and reinstalling, so all of my engineering software is on a virtualbox. I love this "seemless mode". Black windows are host, blue windows (no aero theme) are virtual machine. It runs great, even with Altera and MATLAB that like to hog memory.

Last edited by HelpDeskHustler : 11-02-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:25 AM

Respected, period.

Just got done registering for next semester. Only have to go Tuesday and Thursday 10:30am - 2:45pm.

Classes I'm taking:
CIS340 - Business Information System Development I
CIS300 - Web Design and Development
MGT300 - Organization and Management Leadership
ACC444 - Enterprise Process Analysis and Design

I'm also planning on taking some Java classes at the community college on the side.

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 PM
THE GAME

Lucky you... I finished registering today and wound up with 19 credits/22H to graduate.

ECE334 Discrete Signals and Systems
MTH343 Math for CPE/ECE
ECE449 Advanced Computer Architechture
HST205 Am. History up to 1865
PHL216 Engineering Ethics
ECE432L Senior Design Lab 2
ECE304L Microelectric circuits Lab

I usually manage to slip one CPS course in per semester to keep me sane (TWO this semester!) but I had no more room.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:04 AM

Respected, period.

I need 30 more hours to graduate. Unfortunately the advisors I had the first 3 semesters I was back sucked and wouldn't let me take any computer classes, even though I'm a computers major. I could probably finish up in 2 semesters, but the CIS classes I need have a certain hierarchy to them so I have to do 3 semesters, makes for light semesters though.

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 11-05-2011, 05:32 PM
wat

Claus, you were right. Yum does provide MUCH better output than Apt. I guess I didn't know what I was missing because I've just always used Apt.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:45 PM
THE GAME

If you expand the terminal to 120+ characters it looks even cleaner (IMO)
Old 11-05-2011, 06:10 PM
wat

That was actually not even in GNOME 3 yet (I was installing Guest Additions). I expanded it once I was in GNOME 3 and it does look cleaner. I'm liking GNOME 3 a LOT more than Unity.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
I was still on the internet, just not the usual places. I got fed up with facebook and ragequit awhile back, making it difficult for people without standard forms of contact to reach me. Im on google plus now, aside from its inability to entice facebook users, I like it. Been on reddit a lot. Didn't intentionally mean to sever so many connections... just facebook. Im buried in engineering books most of the time, which I enjoy with some beer. I built my pc for gw2 and skyrim, among other things. Shu, I love the h60... it barely fit in my case though because of the fans. It seems to do about 5*c lower than my friends coolermaster air heatsink on a very similar build. It was way easier to install though than his sink was.

Edit: I should clarify... the radiator is a bit taller than a 120mm fan and because of the massive amount of fans in the nzxt phantom, it barely fit without displacing one of the 7 fans. Over the cpu it fit way better than a traditional sink.
man, i live on reddit now. i was going to upgrade for BF3, but i can play with my Core2Duo and 460gtx just fine.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes