Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 08:37 AM

Default Palmers Direct vs. Female

I was thinking in the last year or two I came across an article that stated that regulators mounted vertically would always outperform regulators which were mounted horizontally...The problem is that I can't recall where I found it and whether or not it applied to something like a Palmers Female Stab that was designed with a horizontal install in mind...

I am looking to pick up a Stabilizer for my marker in the next couple days and thought I would ask you guys if you had noticed any real performance differences between a Direct Stab and a Female Stab...

Thanks in advance for any assistance you are able to provide
Old 09-10-2009, 10:15 AM
EM1 Tech guy

Default Re: Palmers Direct vs. Female

If you said what marker you have it would help but oh well.

A female Stab. will mount on the bottom of the grip frame & act like an ASA. A Direct or Male Stab, will mount like a foregrip. Both will still regulate but when running Co2, the Female posses a bit more chance of getting liquid Co2 in your marker. Now if you have an anti-siphon tube in the Co2 tank plus a Female you will be pretty safe as far as getting liquid in the marker. Tilting it down & allowing the liquid in the tank to get to the tube will allow it to leave the tank.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldironmudder View Post
If you said what marker you have it would help but oh well.
=/

I was actually going to put it in but I got thinking and for some reason I thought it wouldn't make a difference...I am running an MR-1 with CO2...I REALLY should have included the CO2 part, but my bad...

I have just been debating the last couple of weeks about what to get. I lost my ASA over the winter so I figured the Female Stab would make a suitable replacement, but if I go with Direct for better efficiency I would likely be picking up a new ASA so I can get an on/off and maybe an adjustable drop forward, I was thinking this one perhaps:

http://www.ansgear.com/ProductDetail...ACK&CartID =1

But my big concern was whether one Reg would work better on a CO2 setup like that. I am hoping to drop my operating pressure to ~550ish+/- to cover most of my weather playing range with minimal shootdown from the tank...
Old 09-14-2009, 04:14 PM
New Guy

I run a male stabilizer on my other marker. I would go this route as it would be the cheapest in the long run. If you got a male, you can screw it in just like an inline reg( if your marker has a female asa vertically on the marker most do) then you may be able to use the same SS, or macro lines and save the money on little things.

If you go a female like stated above, ot goes under the grip of the marker. It will act as an ASA. IT is a little cheaper tham the male up front, but requires mounting blocks and ring mounts. This typically makes inital costs higher.

The direct stabilizer is for markers with out a stock female asa on the body, such as 98 customs. I think you will find it harder to make it work, but if you know what you are doing, then go for it.

They also make an inline stabilizer, It is designed to mount on a remote line, so you can switch it from merker to marker, or keep the look of the marker. these are said to be less consistant as the input and output ports are different, and the stabilizer if further from the marker.

I just re-read the question. I don't think the horizontal or vertical mount makes any difference to a stabilizer. I think the main issue is the distance from the stabilizer to the valve. Is you plan on using co2, then then bottle location makes a difference. in respect to horizontal or vertical.
In my oponion the male stabilizer is the best. They make a good grip, they look sweet on most markers, and they're the most compatible from marker to marker is you decide to switch markers in the future.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the input =)

My plan is to go with a Direct Stab as on the MR-1 the ASA is mounted to the bottom of the grip and the airline runs through the hollow foregrip and threads directly into a 1/8" hole. I am waiting for the new ASA I picked up to arrive so I can measure out what length hose I need so I can order the Stab, Hose and Air Fittings all at once and save some shipping...I have until the end of October to get the stab completely broken in (and with two daughters who love painting the trees outback of the house I will have NO problems getting a couple cases of some cheap paint through the marker) so I am trying to take my time and do it all the right and most efficient way ;-)
Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 PM

As a side note, I found the blip I was talking about saying the Vertical Mount Regs are better for CO2. It is on Otters site in the discussion of going LP...
Old 09-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

I think you guys are forgetting that the Female Stab can also be mounted directly on the bottle. Dismount the UFA from a remote, install the UFA-end of the line into the stab and then run the rest to the marker.

Even if you lost your ASA, you can still mount a QD fill nipple into a VA...although I know nothing of the MR1's VA so you might need to rig something else...

........just food for thought........
Old 09-21-2009, 05:10 AM

Yeah, the remote would have worked, but I would have needed to pick up a VA for the marker as the MR-1 doesn't actually come with one. It is just a 1/8" npt hole for the valve inlet then the other end went to the ASA mounted on a Dovetail Drop Forward that came stock with the marker.

I also have a fear of using a remote and getting the coil caught on things while crawling around or getting it caught on a branch or something when leaning/taking cover behind a tree...

I am pretty impressed so far with the reg, though it is only half broken in or so, so we will see how things go over the next couple of days...