Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Fluent in Stroll

Default Re: Calling anyone who has ever driven a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldironmudder View Post
TRB, I could do without the trip to college. If you paid to set it up I would be glad to give it a whirl.
YES!! Please do this.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

hmm, matt, this could be your next business endeavor. instead of a racetrack or dragstrip, start a public rally course!
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 08-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Fluent in Stroll

SOC race meet?

Skanking to the beat.

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:39 PM
My money is going into my car. What's paintball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlechaser View Post
First off... pretty much anything can be drifted, and the truck wouldn't necessarily tip over as my friend used to do it in his 88 Bronco II (there's a tippy POS for you.. ) it's VERY hard to do using something with a high center of gravity like that, but it can be done. So there solves the whole Import vs anything else thing as well. Believe it or not, you can also use a FWD, it's just much, much harder, and you tend to wear out your rear brakes quicker from initiating the drift, as alot of the time you have to ass drag before the car will really break loose. Your best bet for drifiting though is something with a low center of gravity and good torque numbers at high RPMs, as I mentioned you can try using FWD, but it's better suited to AWD or RWD. RWD is the most common you'll see out there, most teams don't bother with anything else, and on top of that, most AWD cars in it have been modified to RWD. You'll want something with high torque at high RPMs because if you see most of these guys doing it, they're pretty much riding the rev limiter when they downshift into the corner.

And I believe the guy you were talking about was Keiichi Tsuchiya aka the Drift King. He actually put out a how to video a while back called the Drift Bible, GREAT vid, he's actually in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift as well, he's the guy smoking and fishing on the pier when they're training in the Evo.

Sorry for the novel, I really miss owning a RWD sports car. Maybe when I have the cash/time/money I'll buy another Datsun... Or maybe an AE86..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlrQHJYedk - Drift Bible Part one... of many...(it's like 1.5 hours if I remember correct)
You're preaching to the choir. Haha.

I'd love to have a 240SX, 240/300/370Z or a AE86. Hell even a RWD Miata.

Quote:
armedfuture (3:14:56 AM): they get upset easy when you use big words like "rental" and "air"
Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 PM
My money is going into my car. What's paintball?

Quote:
First of all I was joking. No mustang, a truck, as in regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive. Quick revving mid to top end motor, manual shifting auto & 3.70-4.10 geared rearend. I really think it would be possible to do rather easily in a field if it were big enough. 4 wheel drift? Can easily be done on dirt. Yes trucks are lighter in the rear but if you know how to drive them & work the motor & gears you shouldnt have a problem driving. I have spent countless hours behind the wheel on dirt at high speed in both 2& 4 wheel trucks.

TRB, I could do without the trip to college. If you paid to set it up I would be glad to give it a whirl.
You can't drift in an auto... Your car will shift and the tires will grip, not spin like they need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
You're not talking about the Drift Alliance mustang are you? The green and blue one driven by Vaghn Gitten?
White and blue. Japanese guy drives it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper View Post
yeah, i think he means the Falken one. but thats driven by an american IIRC.
Toyo one.

Quote:
armedfuture (3:14:56 AM): they get upset easy when you use big words like "rental" and "air"
Old 08-26-2009, 03:34 AM
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
You're preaching to the choir. Haha.

I'd love to have a 240SX, 240/300/370Z or a AE86. Hell even a RWD Miata.
AMEN! :P

I loved my 1980 280zx, it was the epitome of the starter drift car, beat up, **** suspension, but ran ok. It was really fun to drive because you're sitting on the rear axle, so you can feel every little weight shift. But sadly, this was also my first car, and the insurance killed it for me. (Bought the car for $2500, paid $4500 in insurance for the first year). Since then I've been driving fwds, probably get a truck before I get another sports car..

Quote:
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X
Old 08-26-2009, 06:03 AM
EM1 Tech guy

Quote:
First of all I was joking. No mustang, a truck, as in regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive. Quick revving mid to top end motor, manual shifting auto & 3.70-4.10 geared rearend. I really think it would be possible to do rather easily in a field if it were big enough. 4 wheel drift? Can easily be done on dirt. Yes trucks are lighter in the rear but if you know how to drive them & work the motor & gears you shouldnt have a problem driving. I have spent countless hours behind the wheel on dirt at high speed in both 2& 4 wheel trucks.

Quote:
You can't drift in an auto... Your car will shift and the tires will grip, not spin like they need to.

How could an auto trans shift, either up or down, with a manual valve body? It is basically a manual trans with a fluid coupling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCI Auto - Full-Manual Valve Bodies
Page found here
Our competition valve body for maximum performance and quick elapsed times in a racing application. By controlling the valve body only through manual means we can produce quicker shift timing and are able to run higher line pressures than possible with an automatic shift transmission. Higher line pressure makes it harder for clutches to slip under high loads. Remember, with a full manual you will have to make every shift, for these units do not shift on their own. A great choice for bracket cars, monster trucks, and virtually any off-road competition vehicle where a Trans-Brake is either not legal or not desired.
After rereading my other post, what i said could be very easily misunderstood. I meant a full manual valve bodied automatic transmission.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Giggity..

Don't like the 350z Ace?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Seņor Member

Quote:
How could an auto trans shift, either up or down, with a manual valve body? It is basically a manual trans with a fluid coupling.

After rereading my other post, what i said could be very easily misunderstood. I meant a full manual valve bodied automatic transmission.
You'd probably be far better off using a manual, you use the clutch a lot while drifting. Mainly for straightening the car back out, you pretty much just hit the clutch so the front an rear wheels equalize in traction. Don't get me wrong, you can do it with an auto, again, it's just a little harder as you have to steer out of every drift.

Remember, drifting isn't just mashing the gas into a corner, that's only one type (Power Over). The dynamic drifting later on in the Drift Bible shows you how to accomplish it different ways, in Mudder's case he'd be using the Feint technique alot (arguably the most fun, as you don't have to play around with heel+toe braking and acceleration/shifting as much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSX99 View Post
Don't like the 350z Ace?
I'd agree with him, the newer ones have very limited legroom. When driving a 350, my head is touching the roof while I'm slouching, my left leg is pinned between the door and the steering wheel, and my right is caught between the wheel and the center console. It might be a little different in the hard tops, but I hated the soft top I drove. Don't know if they changed it for the 370, but personally, I'll stick with the older models, aka 96 and below. If you're under like 5'5" the 350 would be fine..

Quote:
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X
Old 08-26-2009, 03:07 PM
add 1,794 posts

holy dog **** batman