Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 AM
RaWr

Default Re: Calling anyone who has ever driven a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldironmudder View Post
First thing, does it have to be an import? What about a Ford truck?

Second, does it have to be on pavement? I learned how to drive on turnrows (dirt roads between fields).

Lastly, is all the drifting necessary?
If you can run that course on dirt, in a ford pickup truck at speed without dying... sure.
"If society is tranquil, it is not because it is conscious of its strength and its well-being, but because it fears its weakness and its infirmities; a single effort may cost it its life. Everyone feels the evil, but no one has courage or energy enough to seek the cure."
Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 AM
My money is going into my car. What's paintball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldironmudder View Post
First thing, does it have to be an import? What about a Ford truck?

Second, does it have to be on pavement? I learned how to drive on turnrows (dirt roads between fields).

Lastly, is all the drifting necessary?
I hate seeing posts like this.

First, no. Mustang can do the exact same thing and does driven by a Japanese drift artist. Forgot his name but he drives a new Mustang, is sponsored by Toyo Tires and has long hair. Your truck would tip over trying to do this stuff, not to mention the weight would screw it's balance up and you would have to get moving much faster then that to get into a 4 wheel drift.

Second, no it doesn't. Subaru's are rally cars. Hence the ability to drive on dirt, snow, pavement and what ever else gets thrown at them.

Third. I don't know if you understand how drifting came to be. 4 wheel drift and not power slide was "invented" by a Japanese guy who was sick of just winning races. He wanted a new level of challenge to the race and decided to see what his car could do. He drifted around every corner of a circuit race and came in first. Thus drift was born.

Drift is not "necessary" but if you know how to properly balance your car, weight shift, and aren't afraid of getting cm's away from guard rails, it's a faster way to get around a corner. Why brake and slow down when you can use the cars momentum to carry it through the corner faster?

I have always wanted to get into drift. This guy is pretty amazing. The paintball scene was a little corny though. They could have done something more interesting then that.

Quote:
armedfuture (3:14:56 AM): they get upset easy when you use big words like "rental" and "air"
Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 AM
SlalomSki stuk to my feet

Ace he wasn't trying to bash the video. He was just trying to get the free ride by changing the rules alittle bit...

And I can do it all. Easily. At 5mph....
bamfhacker: next time wear butt pads
Old 08-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
I hate seeing posts like this.

First, no. Mustang can do the exact same thing and does driven by a Japanese drift artist. Forgot his name but he drives a new Mustang, is sponsored by Toyo Tires and has long hair. Your truck would tip over trying to do this stuff, not to mention the weight would screw it's balance up and you would have to get moving much faster then that to get into a 4 wheel drift.

Second, no it doesn't. Subaru's are rally cars. Hence the ability to drive on dirt, snow, pavement and what ever else gets thrown at them.

Third. I don't know if you understand how drifting came to be. 4 wheel drift and not power slide was "invented" by a Japanese guy who was sick of just winning races. He wanted a new level of challenge to the race and decided to see what his car could do. He drifted around every corner of a circuit race and came in first. Thus drift was born.

Drift is not "necessary" but if you know how to properly balance your car, weight shift, and aren't afraid of getting cm's away from guard rails, it's a faster way to get around a corner. Why brake and slow down when you can use the cars momentum to carry it through the corner faster?

I have always wanted to get into drift. This guy is pretty amazing. The paintball scene was a little corny though. They could have done something more interesting then that.
First off... pretty much anything can be drifted, and the truck wouldn't necessarily tip over as my friend used to do it in his 88 Bronco II (there's a tippy POS for you.. ) it's VERY hard to do using something with a high center of gravity like that, but it can be done. So there solves the whole Import vs anything else thing as well. Believe it or not, you can also use a FWD, it's just much, much harder, and you tend to wear out your rear brakes quicker from initiating the drift, as alot of the time you have to ass drag before the car will really break loose. Your best bet for drifiting though is something with a low center of gravity and good torque numbers at high RPMs, as I mentioned you can try using FWD, but it's better suited to AWD or RWD. RWD is the most common you'll see out there, most teams don't bother with anything else, and on top of that, most AWD cars in it have been modified to RWD. You'll want something with high torque at high RPMs because if you see most of these guys doing it, they're pretty much riding the rev limiter when they downshift into the corner.

And I believe the guy you were talking about was Keiichi Tsuchiya aka the Drift King. He actually put out a how to video a while back called the Drift Bible, GREAT vid, he's actually in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift as well, he's the guy smoking and fishing on the pier when they're training in the Evo.

Sorry for the novel, I really miss owning a RWD sports car. Maybe when I have the cash/time/money I'll buy another Datsun... Or maybe an AE86..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlrQHJYedk - Drift Bible Part one... of many...(it's like 1.5 hours if I remember correct)

Quote:
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X

Last edited by battlechaser : 08-25-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:06 PM
i spray and you pray

right first off its awd, and in the start he has 2 step or launch control (it has a huge turbo it has lag)
second in gymkhana the drive wants to get around the course has fast has possible, sometimes drifting is the fastest
and the paintball thing was interesting
and last but not least mister block can drive

i wanna get a flex!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
EM1 Tech guy

First of all I was joking. No mustang, a truck, as in regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive. Quick revving mid to top end motor, manual shifting auto & 3.70-4.10 geared rearend. I really think it would be possible to do rather easily in a field if it were big enough. 4 wheel drift? Can easily be done on dirt. Yes trucks are lighter in the rear but if you know how to drive them & work the motor & gears you shouldnt have a problem driving. I have spent countless hours behind the wheel on dirt at high speed in both 2& 4 wheel trucks.

TRB, I could do without the trip to college. If you paid to set it up I would be glad to give it a whirl.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:15 PM
I didn't do it...No witnesses survived

Quote:
Mustang can do the exact same thing and does driven by a Japanese drift artist.
You're not talking about the Drift Alliance mustang are you? The green and blue one driven by Vaghn Gitten?

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to
go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will"
Ronald Reagan
Old 08-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

yeah, i think he means the Falken one. but thats driven by an american IIRC.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 08-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Grammar Nazi in training

i hate not being able to see vids on youtube...

Pilot Owner's Club Member #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSiv_Force
Here is the ultimate How Not to get bruises..........................
DONT GET HIT
My Photobucket photography Album
Old 08-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Respected Player

Psh I could do that in my S10