Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Respected Player

Default Camera?

I'm looking to buy a new camera and I don't know much about them... I know a few people here are big on photography and could probably help me. I want to spend around $600 and I really don't know what to look for or what would be the best one to start with, if anyone can help that would be great
Old 07-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Spyder Addict

Default Re: Camera?

This one is what our team photographer uses. The image stabilization is in the camera as opposed to the lens which makes your lenses substancially cheaper. Also a good package deal!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11481275&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eC at=BC|79|83|87150&N=4040592&Mo=5&pos=1&No=5&Nr=P_C atalogName:BC&cat=87150&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1& lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10604-Cat83&topnav=
Old 07-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Respected Player

Thank you, It doesn't look that bad especially with the lenses.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Resident *******

A local paintball photog friend of mine uses one of those. The IQ sucks compared to my Canon w/ Sigma 70-200 F/2.8, or even the Nifty Two-Fifty... or the stock lens... just plain horrible. You might as well get a P&S.

You aren't going to find very many good deals for $600. That's a little more than my lens cost. It's also right about where my body is on the used market. If you are going to go DSLR, go Canon. In the low-end market they reign supreme.

EDIT: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post60924245
That thread on PBN is fairly decent for information and questions. If you have anything serious post it here, the people in there are selective dumbasses, but for basic things I'm sure your question has been answered many times over, including that post that I linked you to.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to

Last edited by bigred76 : 08-01-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Respected Player

Thanks, I was thinking about getting a Cannon which I might end up getting. Would you recomend just saving up for a better camera?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 AM
RaWr

That is not true, Canon does reign supreme in the high end market (sort of, if you want to consider a 5D MKII high end compared to a Hasselblad H3D, or even 503cwD) But if you ask me canons low-mid end cameras are over priced for what you get, I mean you can compare a 40d to an olympus E-410 almost stat to stat the 410 costs how much less? and the olympus offers Zuiko SWD glass, you cannot compare medium range canon glass or ANY sigma or tamron glass to that of Zuiko SWD, In my opinion you can barely compare L glass to it. Anyhow, Nikon also offers many low-mid end SLR cameras but you have to keep an eye out for their AF engines, some are not compatible with other lenses/bodies, kind of a catch 22 if you arent paying attention to what you are buying, Sony on the other hand offers likely the most versatile of all low-mid end cameras, they offer many adapters and mounting options that will blow most of the competition out of the market.
"If society is tranquil, it is not because it is conscious of its strength and its well-being, but because it fears its weakness and its infirmities; a single effort may cost it its life. Everyone feels the evil, but no one has courage or energy enough to seek the cure."
Old 08-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Respected Player

I haven't even looked at Sony yet. I'll check them out.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Public Enemy #1

I would not spend much money to start off with. Find a Rebel on craigslist or a local forum and buy used. Don't put too much money into something you are getting into for the first time. You buy a $300 used camera, and find out a month later photography isn't your thing, so you turn around and sell it for the same or barely less. You buy a brand new camera for $600, and turn around and sell it a month later for a huge loss. Once you find out you really enjoy it, then start dropping millions of dollars on L glass and baller ass bodies.
you know you got something nice when timmyshoota likes it.
Buy my gear! $500!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Respected Player

You have a good point there, I really don't like buying used stuff but in this case it wouldn't be a bad idea and would save me alot if I did only do it for a month or so.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Public Enemy #1

For the most part, you can't go wrong with buying a used camera. Try to find someone who is getting rid of one of their old backup cameras as they've upgraded. Good chance you'll get a camera that has been taken care of.
you know you got something nice when timmyshoota likes it.
Buy my gear! $500!