Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2006, 12:41 AM

Default Re: WHY paintball silencers are illegal...an article

This is a good thread and people need to realize that the ATF does not have a sense of humor and a felony is a felony. Federal charges in a Federal court lead to real prison time. Since I have gotten back into this sport I have been suprised by the number of guns I have seen for sale with supressors as part of the package. It's not worth it to even mess with it.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:01 AM
Spyder Addict

SO what your saying is the silencer permenently affixed to the barrel of a paintball marker is being used to slip over another barrel? From what I've read there concern is that the barrel itself could be used to fire a projectile in other fashions.

Frat not to worry buddy......since I am a LEO of the state of Idaho......I have my local ATF's Card in my wallet, and I am registered for Class 3 weapons due to my LE status!

I'll find out exactly what their opinion is and how they could possibly use a paintball silencer and use it on another weapon. The only thing I can think of is they're using it as a barrel sleeve......in which case to be effective........I would think it would have to be a fairly tight fit
Old 05-19-2006, 08:51 AM

Frat not to worry buddy......since I am a LEO of the state of Idaho......I have my local ATF's Card in my wallet, and I am registered for Class 3 weapons due to my LE status!

Cool you can get your dept to fund toys. I am a Title 2 (class 3) owner. The ATFs stance if it only works once it still works. They confiscated a bunch of machinegune parts kits that had been saw cut instead of torch cut. If I remember correctly and I kid you not the either duct taped or wired the receiver back together and fired it. I don't see how it could have fired more than once but it did and the kits were declared illegal machine guns and were confiscated. I agree with them that the kits were improperly demilled but I use the method of testing for the point. If you could slipped the paintball gun barrel with a silence permanently attached over the barrrel of a 22 or say an Uzi or Tech nine granted the last two would be totally unwieldy and it functioned just once it would still have functioned. BTW your state is beautifull to bad the yuppie crowd has found it.

Last edited by Frat : 05-19-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

timber...I think the point of this thread is this...

While silencers aren't illegal...they are a controlled device. The ATF states that if it can be converted to 'diminish the report of a firearm discharge' it meets their definition of silencer...to which, you need to submit the plans, coupled with the request and fee to receive their approval letter (if they choose to grant it).

The spirit of this thread is not to discourage a person from making one, it's a plea (and a warning) to make sure they do it properly.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Spyder Addict

Hmmm.....so by what you told me a cloth or what not around the porting would also be illegal.......if it worked? Hmmm..........Yeah hard to get the department to fund a paintball gun silencer job! If I could get them to fund the paintball guns I'd be in good shape. You know what's really odd......Police Officers in this state can have their gun permits and are allowed to carry class 3 equipped weapons and such........yet there is no ID of any type distinguishing us from any other moron on the street. Also well I'm at it....how would they no whether or not a silencer on a paintball gun is a mock silencer or not. I mean with 30-40 of them on our field at any one time......would they chase after the quietest marker.......LOL....
Old 05-19-2006, 03:33 PM

Anyone know if there are any laws regarding silencers in Canada? Since getting back into paintball, I haven't seen any silencers for sale here (there used to be plenty back in the pumpgun day, but it might just be that almost all paintball gear is intended for a US market... commercially made silencers wouldn't have enough of a market up here to make enough money).

Also, anyone given any thought to the fact that the Smart Parts SP-8 Tactical marker has an option for an extended barrel kit with a built-in silencer? This is probably close to the idea that was being discussed earlier about having a one-piece barrel-silencer that could circumvent the laws regarding silencers, since there's no way it could be retrofitted to a firearm.

Lastly, is it even POSSIBLE to trick out a spyder (mine's one of the new MR-1 milsim style Spyders) for the silent sniper role, or am I just better off sticking with the adrenaline junkie spray-and-pray?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Spyder Addict

Again SP8 has a mock silencer and the barrel will still come right off. I've never tried a silencer on a paintball marker but EagleLox experimented with it. It must be possible to make them very quiet but........no idea on Canadian laws!
Old 05-19-2006, 05:11 PM
KUSA KREW FOR LIFE BABY

Thought this thread got locked
Old 05-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

[quote=timber]Hmmm.....so by what you told me a cloth or what not around the porting would also be illegal.......if it worked?
As a LEO, you should know better. Attempting to circumvent the law...no matter how riddiculous you think it may be, puts no distinction between you and the "other moron on the street" that you elude to just below this response. Click and read the links I provided in the initial post. Click the actual ATF letter, it explains the properties that constitute a silencer under their definition.
Hmmm..........Yeah hard to get the department to fund a paintball gun silencer job! If I could get them to fund the paintball guns I'd be in good shape. You know what's really odd......Police Officers in this state can have their gun permits and are allowed to carry class 3 equipped weapons and such........yet there is no ID of any type distinguishing us from any other moron on the street. I find it incredulous that you have noID system. Here (and in most states) you are issued an "Act" card upon the completion of the Academy and the department issues one with your shield....hrm...suspicious....Also well I'm at it....how would they no whether or not a silencer on a paintball gun is a mock silencer or not. I mean with 30-40 of them on our field at any one time......would they chase after the quietest marker.......LOL....If they intended to ever do their job, yes...or at the very least, inform the Detective Unit. It's not up to us to determine what laws we enforce and which we "let slip by"...that's up to the DA of the County/jurisdiction...or in this case, State's Attorney General and Federal Prosecutors...and you know that. If you are going to be biased towards an illegal act because it's a portion of the thing you participate in, it's time to turn in your shield.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnewb
Anyone know if there are any laws regarding silencers in Canada? Since getting back into paintball, I haven't seen any silencers for sale here (there used to be plenty back in the pumpgun day, but it might just be that almost all paintball gear is intended for a US market... commercially made silencers wouldn't have enough of a market up here to make enough money). I'd suggest you contact the Local Police or RCMP or Provincial Authority for that answer.

Also, anyone given any thought to the fact that the Smart Parts SP-8 Tactical marker has an option for an extended barrel kit with a built-in silencer? This is probably close to the idea that was being discussed earlier about having a one-piece barrel-silencer that could circumvent the laws regarding silencers, since there's no way it could be retrofitted to a firearm. For now...until the ATF gets a hold of one and successfully makes it work...then that'll stop too. As for the latter remark, you know as well as the rest of us..."where there's a will, there's a way."

Lastly, is it even POSSIBLE to trick out a spyder (mine's one of the new MR-1 milsim style Spyders) for the silent sniper role, or am I just better off sticking with the adrenaline junkie spray-and-pray?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timber again
Again SP8 has a mock silencer and the barrel will still come right off. I've never tried a silencer on a paintball marker but EagleLox experimented with it. It must be possible to make them very quiet but........no idea on Canadian laws!
Again, I must emphesise the necessity for common sense and discretion. A lot of people seem to think that they are going to 'out-think' or 'out-smart' the ATF with "hypothetical This" and "...but, but, but...that"...You are dancing on razor blades here.

The truth is, there is not one person on this forum qualified to make any kind of determination for the ATF. If you want to know what will work and not violate the law, write to the ATF and find out for yourselves. The law is the law and second guessing or nickel-and-diming points of the law aren't going to be much comfort in Federal Holding...
Old 05-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Spyder Addict

I find it incredulous that you have noID system. Here (and in most states) you are issued an "Act" card upon the completion of the Academy and the department issues one with your shield....hrm...suspicious....

I have a diploma and a college degree.......there is no common ID system here what-so-ever........I do have a concealed weapons permit......but that was from before I became an LEO

....If they intended to ever do their job, yes...or at the very least, inform the Detective Unit. It's not up to us to determine what laws we enforce and which we "let slip by"...that's up to the DA of the County/jurisdiction...or in this case, State's Attorney General and Federal Prosecutors...and you know that. If you are going to be biased towards an illegal act because it's a portion of the thing you participate in, it's time to turn in your shield.[/

Absolutely not true......you couldn't be further from the truth! If I turned in everything I saw there would be no movement in the judicial system what-so-ever.........we do determine what laws to enforce........as do our superior officers all the way up through the city. Can you imagine if I wrote a citation for everything I witnessed..........

I have let lots of people go to prevent system tie-ups.........figure here the average law enforcement officer might make $15 an hour after being in the department for a year and most never hit 18. The rural counties might hit $15 if lucky........And as for on duty.......in Kootenai County counties there is 1,245 square miles and 112,297 people. On patrol in the county there is roughly.......3-4 officers from county and 3-4 officers in the major cities........state police.....might have 1-2 if lucky. There was a 50 person fight the other night at a prominent night club.......1 officer responded.......next back up was 40 mins away! If you think we would arrest all 50 perople for fighting public intoxication, and narcotics or other substances they might have......your insane. What happend? An off duty officer brought a K-9 and threatened to let them go if they didn't get in their cars and leave.......they did.....luckily.........better to let some go that are important and keep yourself available to calls that are more dangerous.......there are nights we have to let DUI's go because there is nobody else to cover you.......welcome to Idaho.......