Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > General Spyder Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2006, 07:16 PM
The Peruvian Pulveriser

Exclamation Spyder psi questions

I was wondering what the stock psi on a spyder Xtra is. Also just purchased a palmers male stabilizer and was wondering what a good psi setting is for a spyder Xtra. I installed the stabilizer but Im still waiting for my gauge to get here and also my fittings for steel braided hoses.

Lastly to adjust the psi in the palmer stabilizer I have to adjust that screw in the bottom of it right? And is that screw supposed to come off? Cause i was able to unscrew it all the way out.

The macro fitting that has been in the stabilizer has been in there for a while and looks like they used some kinf of sealant. Do you guys recomment using WD-40 to get it out or you guys know of any better ways?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:28 PM
not a nublet, sheesh.

Default Re: Spyder psi questions

The fitting for the gauge is sealed with teflon tape, it isn't even sticky, but it does wonders to seal fittings, you just need to unscrew the plug in there and put your gauge in, however, if you don't have any teflon tape, I suggest getting some before removing the plug. Don't use wd40! And the screw on the bottom does adjust your output pressure, be sure though to screw it back in, screw back in so its flush with the bottom of the stabilizer, and adjust from there.

An unmodified spyder xtra is hard to say what psi you'd be running at, but the key is go somewhere where a chrono is and lower your psi until the point where you can still keep the velocity that is desired usually around 285 fps. If you want to further fine tune your pressure buy a 32* spring kit which you can fiddle around with, there is no magic setting here, you just ave to play with it.

If you havn't already I highly suggest you check out www.ottersccustoms.com
Old 03-13-2006, 07:28 PM
(spyderkid946)

ok ill answer as many of your questions as i can. here we go.
the normal operating pressure for a stock spyder, notice i said stock spyder, is around 700 psi. if this regulator is your only upgrade im going to recommend you go to otters site and do some of his low pressure mods. once youve done those you should be able to drop yor pressure down to 300-400 psi. and for the macrofitting try heating it up, its probably locktite. i dont know about WD-40 but im betting if it got in the gun/reg it would eat your orings up. so try heading it up with a hairdryer then trying to twist it out.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:46 PM
The Peruvian Pulveriser

Exclamation Re: Spyder psi questions

Ok I'll try heating it up because I don't know what the guy used but it doesnt look too neat. Also I was just looking at otters website and Its ok if I only do a few of the low pressure upgrades? For example I almost removed my venturi the other day but then stopped because I thought that if I didnt do the the rest of the LP upgrades it may reduce my performance in the field.

Any more suggestions about my first post are welcome.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:52 PM
(spyderkid946)

ill suggest finishing removing the venturi. then a big one is polishing the internals. then if you have a drill press or are good with a hand drill, drill the VA so its higher flowing. and lastly if your really confident with a drill, do the valve mod.
o and you can do these mods one at a time it wont reduce your performance.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:39 AM
The Peruvian Pulveriser

Ok thanks alot Dynasty and Hob Hayward you guys were a big help
Old 03-14-2006, 05:23 AM
Bling Bling Bling

This is from a Spyder Fenix manual about operating pressure. All Stock Spyders are the same, the Fenix has a regulator so they have it listed so you don't lower the pressure.

Before you start heating up your fittings, what color is the stuff holding in the fitting? If it is blue, then it is most likely Loctite Blue, which does not require heat to remove. If it is red then it can be either Loctite Red, which needs a small amount of heat to remove, or Loctite 545 which is a thread sealer and requires no heat. Try some "light" pressure from a few wrenches. That should free it up.

Also when you are ready to re-assemble the fitting, make sure you clean the old sealer very well. That way you can ensure a good fit and tight seal.

HacKeR

Trust
*AO*IO*KUSA*PBN*PHOG*
You have been roshamboed
BAMF-Hacker's Mood: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!