Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > General Spyder Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 11:28 AM
I never get it right

Question anno to paint

ok i read what i could find as far as removing anno at home. im thinking of going the easyoff method. what i would like to know is after the easy off knocks off the shine and removes some anno is the parts i do gonna have enough bite for paint to adhear to it? id prefer to not have to sand on my gun im plainnin to go "flat black maybe satin" and prefer to have the least amount of scratches possible. after puttin my gun together from all spare and broken parts i could find and making frankie i want this gun to be all 1 color and fig a flat or a satin black would be easy to touch up if and when i scratch it. i spent the time to build and make the gun for my 1 and 1/2 year old boy so when he gets "of age" and can handle the responsibilty of owning and opperating it he will have his first gun.

feedback http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthre...068#post241068
Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 PM
juggalo

Default Re: anno to paint

harsh chemicals such as easy off have a tendency to etch metal, providing a suitable surface for paint adhesion. you don't have to sand anyway, get yourself some #0000 steel wool, and go over the surfaces with it. it'll give you enough scoring for the paint but not so aggressive that it'll damage the metal. flat, or matte paints don't usually "look" right on markers, and after some experimenting, i've found that a semi-gloss paint followed by a satin clearcoat gives a near perfect appearance. plus, the clearcoat will help protect the paint a smidge.

davs uber sale
Old 05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I never get it right

after a few days work i managed to get it painted. its matte black with a matte clear coat. it looks stealth. iin the dark not much is visible hides well in the shade as well. i will try to get pics even if its from my cell.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 PM
New Guy

Late to the thread here, but you can also get a bake on coating for aluminum. We use it in the gun biz. You can buy it from Brownells.com which is basically a gunsmith supply outfit. There are several different types but Gun-Kote is generally the one you hear about the most. This stuff is not a paint and bonds to the metal better. Not sure if that was what you're looking for since you're removing the annodized coating, but thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:42 PM
I never get it right

got a link? im gonna do another body soon and might be worth trying. you use it often i take it?

Old 05-27-2009, 05:59 AM
New Guy

Here's the link. I have not used it personally but I know folks who have and most were generally pleased.

Gun-Kote

If you want to get more info about it, as much as I hate to direct you to yet another forum, go to AccurateReloading.com and click on the forum link there. Then do a search for Gun-Kote on the forum. You'll find everything you ever wanted to know any more.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:25 AM
I never get it right

hmm. so if i was to remove my orings from my bolt and applie this coating to it then reinstall the orings would it be benificial to the bolt and maybe other internals? it claims if i read right it self lubricates and is perminant maybe its worht a shot.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 AM
New Guy

No idea. All of the guys that I know who have used it were using it on semi-auto 22 rifles which see a lot of rounds. So it should hold up to paintball just fine... in theory.