Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Mechanical Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 03:23 PM
New Guy

Unhappy Care and maintainence help

Hi, I got a Spyder Xtra 2006 (I think) and this is my first paintball marker. Hence, I don't know how to maintain this gun, though I know how to disassemble the marker.

Do I follow the instruction manual and just lubricate certain o-rings, or do I have to do more than that? What paintball oil should I buy?
Old 04-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Seņor Member

Default Re: Care and maintainence help

Gold Cup is a good brand, I use either the Extreme Rage stuff or AKA Extreme lube - whichever bottle I find first. I suggest using a dedicated paintball oil as something like 3in1, WD40 or Triflow contain a penetrant (for loosening rusty parts) which can break down orings quickly.

Ad for the actual lubrication - you're pretty much bang on, if it's the first time taking apart the gun, I suggest tearing it completely down and lubing every o-ring - a small drop per ring should do, and just smudge it around with your fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X
Old 04-18-2009, 08:20 PM
New Guy

Take it completely apart and lubricate ALL the o-rings? Wow, that could pose a challenge for me...

Alright, I'll try to do that, but I haven't tried taking the expansion chamber apart yet. I'm afraid that if I didn't put it back together correctly, CO2 will leak out.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Resident *******

That is correct, so just make sure to follow the manual and put all the parts back where they belong!

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 04-21-2009, 06:56 PM

A couple of inexpensive lubes that they don't tell you about, but I've had manufacture and pro players tell me about are mineral oil (pretty much the same as marker oil but without the additives) and vaseline.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Resident *******

The additives are what make it a proper lubricant. Mineral oil is also petroleum based, wheras most modern paintball lubricants are synthetic. That is what makes them better.

Vaseline is highly corrosive to orings. Do not use it.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 PM

I have to disagree that Vaseline is "highly corrosive" as it neither. Having fired hundred's of rounds with vaseline lubed o-rings, I've never had a problem with my o-rings.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:12 PM
09 SOTM WINNAR!

i'm going to take a stab at that you are putting vasoline on your striker and bolt on a spyder? You may not notice anything epically if these o-ring hold up but i wouldn't dare using anything that wasn't made for pneumatic devices and in some cases marker specific applications.

#1 not properly lubricate o-rings correctly, Its the difference between reducing wear from a moving part to sealing an area contain anywhere between 100-800psi.

#2 O-ring deterioration- As stated lubricants may work for you bike chain but will break down import seals and increase interval time between rebuilds.

#3 oil not made for these high pressure environments could in some rare cases make your gun go boom

If those three reason are not enough to make a trip to wally-world, a sporting good store, your local shop, or making an online-order to buy a 3-5 dollar bottle of oil to maintain your spyder you sir do not need to own a paintball marker ever.

edit- i think the word "corrosion" is to associate the gradual chemical decomposition of metals? Not nit picking but i don't think i've heard it in any other context.
double edit- yep metals corrode, o-rings breakdown. but i totally understand what you mean. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion

Feedback +18/0