Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > General Spyder Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

Default Re: 09 spyder pilot w/ eyes review after woods-ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitare2point1 View Post
ok so i did a paint to barrel test.

I used visible impact, put it in the barrel (jnj 14" ceramic 1 piece) and it rolled straight through. So... it's too small.

I then put in the DXS field paint (the kind that says nasty on it), and no matter how hard i blew it wouldn't go all the way through.

I'm assuming this was a major part of the problem? Anyone have any suggestions on a new case of paint for the jnj barrel?
yep, thats your problem right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSX99 View Post
I've always had good luck with RPS Stingers or Premium. I almost never use Marbalizers...too pricey.
marbs are $50 a case here, and theyre .689. i havent used the brands the OP mentioned, so i couldnt give an estimate bore size.

i would grab a bag of one brand next time youre at the field, see how it fits, and if its too tight or loose, get a bag of another brand.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 04-19-2009, 06:31 PM
What is The Dew, and How Do I Do it

If you have a pro shop near by they will bore size check it for on the spot
Proudly Surrendering people at 25 yrds
Old 04-19-2009, 06:54 PM

That's just it though....

I was told that if you put a ball in a barrel and physically blow on the ball gently and it rolls through it's the right paint to barrel. If you have to blow harder then that or it won't go all the way through it is too big, too small just rolls right through.

The thing is though, that I didn't get THAT much paint chop / barrel breaks, until later on in the day, and the heat could have contributed to that.

But if these balls are indeed to big, wouldn't that mean I would have been getting a ton of barrel breaks?

The main thing that I was pissed about is I chrono'd my gun into the 280 range, and once I did that there was NO accuracy at decent distances. The balls (as I said) went where they pleased, most of the time not even close to where I shot at. Can't figure out why. Might just go get a Tippmann a-5. :\
Old 04-19-2009, 07:08 PM

the paint size wont necessarily account for your chops (since your gun does have eyes) but it would cause your shots to drop off and curve after 20ft.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
Old 04-19-2009, 07:48 PM

If you keep useing CO2 you could have your local paint ball shop instal an anti siphon tube in your CO2 tank, then get a good regulator.
My Space Page - Has an link to Arcived Otter site
http://griffith-m.spaces.live.com/de...x?sa=106742333
Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 PM

I just don't understand how if the balls I were using were too big how they didn't break in the barrel. Or how the balls that were too small didn't roll right out during play.

Neither brand was accurate at all. I'm really confused.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Resident *******

You cleaned off your eyes and cleaned out the barrel after each game you chopped, right?

The Spyder is an open breech marker, and the detents hold the ball in place while waiting for the marker to be fired, and the bolt is rear-ward. An Autococker is an example of a closed breech marker, and that does require an exact match so the balls won't roll out when the marker is tilted down, as the bolt is forward.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 04-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Yes I did clean the gun after every break, the eyes were functioning fine.

Now, here's something to note (I'm guessing) when I first got to the field I was shooting in the high 100's low 200's for fps. This was how I got it out of the box, I never adjusted it. So I chrono'd the gun up to 280, is it possible that the velocity is too high for the gun to perform well? Or is it just the C02 with lack of a good regulator and unproper paint to barrel?

EDIT:

I contacted JnJ performance and they gave me some paint recommendations, I'm going to my pro shop today to size some paint (hopefully they will let me) and maybe get some extra advice on the proper velocity as JnJ said that could have had something to do with it.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 AM

oh yeah, bad paint matching will kill your velocity. that added to the fact that you had to crank up your spring tension to get a decent velocity probably caused the bolt to crush paint.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
Old 04-20-2009, 11:54 AM

yea, i shot a bag of marballizers today and they seemed to work the best in the barrel, but they were still extremely inaccurate, i do feel like i got a lemon because the bolt kick is still knocking the hopper's battery door open.

Switching to an sp-1 next week.