Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > General Spyder Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-16-2009, 04:19 AM
bigred76's Avatar
bigred76 bigred76 is offline
Resident *******
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 6,228
Default Re: What (in your opinion) makes a good paintball gun?

Bring it on, XSiV...
__________________
SOC (+41, -0) | PBN (+12, -0) | New PBN (+20, -0)

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-16-2009, 06:36 AM
shunut's Avatar
shunut shunut is offline

Respected, period.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 5,359
Default Re: What (in your opinion) makes a good paintball gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSX99 View Post
Consistency, efficiency and features IMO.


To add to that, it has to have all of this, directly out of the box.
__________________
Viva La KUSA!

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy


Shunut Creations
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Paintball Freak's Avatar
Paintball Freak Paintball Freak is offline
What is it that keeps drawing me back to buying a Spyder when I can buy any other gun of my choice?!?
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA.
Posts: 576
Post Re: What (in your opinion) makes a good paintball gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred76 View Post
Piranha's... well... they just plain suck.
Plastic! lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Solitare2point1 Solitare2point1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 29
Default Re: What (in your opinion) makes a good paintball gun?

Ok well I guess the thing that bothers me is this.

I use visible impact paint (wal-mart), I have an 09 spyder pilot with the locking feed neck, invert reloader 2 10-12bps, jnj 14" ceramic barrel, and a 20oz c02 tank. Now... this gun is consistent at 285 fps, it never breaks paint (even when using visible impact the recon camo bursts all the time but that paint sucks), it's accurate is very consistent, cleaning is easy as hell. Adjustment is easy. So by the very consistent things being said in this thread it is to be considered by me a "good gun", however if I put money into this gun to upgrade it I will get bashed STILL for using a n00b gun. I don't understand the logic.

Yes I know it's not precision tuned, and it's not aircraft grade titanium, but it does everything else (as in playing the game) very well, and can shoot a lot faster with a faster reloader. So, where does all this hate come from? I guess that is why I made this thread, to see why (by most of the paintball community I've interacted with thus far) people consider it "stupid" to upgrade an ok starter gun into a "good" starter gun. If I can get quality performance for less money I don't know why it seems like something that can't be comprehended.

For example:

I play a ton of video games, been playing competitively since I was 16 (I'm 23 now) in LANs and stuff in the FPS genre. This has made my reaction skills a lot better than a lot of people, and I'm now noticing this difference not only in virtual games but in paintball. I kind of predict a little better as well and I try to use the same type of strats I use to trick people in video games on the field. So, that being said (and being as modest as possible) I wanted to try a 1v1 against a seasoned player. I jumped in against a guy a little older than me, had a very nice gun and equipment (bob long gun I think, vice or something). Long story short I got the best of him by diverting his attention to one side of his temple he was hiding behind and got to the other side before he saw me. I hit him in the leg when he tried to switch sides. It was as if I murdered his favorite pet. He accused me of cheating and demanded my gun be checked almost 3 times. He left the field all together after that.

All of this because I use a Spyder? Really?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 PM
slim and shady's Avatar
slim and shady slim and shady is offline
Life is peachy
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wildwood, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,239
Default Re: What (in your opinion) makes a good paintball gun?

no one is saying a spyder is a "bad" gun. to you it may be a great gun, however it may not be a great gun to somone else. Red and I have this conversation on a very regular basis. I know what you are saying, in a seance how much is to much.
a few examples are as fallows

A high end and a spyder...

Both markers are designed to shoot a ball X amount of feet per second. Each marker does this.

cleaning mantinence for a spyder is probably the most simple designe ever (one of the reasons its targeted as a starter marker) For a highend it may be aslight bit more hasstle but not enough to consider it a difference.

reliability I find spyders to be very reliable another reason I beleive there targeted toward new players, probably a good reason for them being reliable is how easy they are to maintain. Highends are reliable too.

efficiency, spyders are not efficent this to me though is a mute point air is free and the fill station is 3 feet away if I gotta stand there for 3 seconds before I head out no big deal. highend markers are very very effiecent with air. there may be a few exceptions but for the most part there good. But again to me not that big of deal.

accuracy to me again this is kind of a nonpoint, your shooting a very inaccurate unstable round with alot of verriables. I dont find the increased accuracy of any highend marker to justify the high end price. its just not THAT much better.

any spyder I have owned has bein consistant (so long as your using HPA) however I have no doubt a highend would be very consistant. I have heard alot of people having inconsistancys in there velocity with spyder though. But most were using Co2 so its to be expected.

BPS most places your limited to 13-15 BPS anyway spyders can acheive this so again another nil point.

So to sum it up I have a hard time also trying to figure out what the big deal is with highends if they do the same job why pay 5 times more for one over the other?

What I do notice with with highends and what I like about them are as fallows.

-there crazy light I dont think I need to explain why this is nice.
-very quite not a huge deal but something I like about them

I think there are a few things that make people beleive one marker is the best. One is Hype markets hype up products all the players think wow I need that they get it something else comes out so now what they just bought is garbage. Look at the minis everyone needed one of those and would step over there own mother to get one now all you see on BST's are threads of minis for sale. another thing is what the pros say are good, I was happy to see BC take that tournament a wial back with the RSX just to prove you dont need a 1500$ gun to win. This to me again is more of a tournament thing, playing woodsball no one cares if you use a spyder, tippy, DM or launcher for that matter. Finally my overall look on it is this, it doesnt matter whats in your hands its how you use it. If you think a gun is good and it works for you thats all that matters.
__________________
General Shawn Wayne Tetz, Commander 187th Gaurds Mechanized Rilfe Division.
- Includes the 3rd armored brigade from the 34th Gaurds Armored Division. (APC's and armor as well as support elements)
-UCSF Armored Division Commander



Armored Units

-Deep insertion APC
-Killer "B" Battle Tank
-Troop Transport APC (almost done)
-Gun Truck heavy support unit (In the works)



-Order of Lenin (1st)
-Skyline Sergeant
-YGP Rep!
-Sector 4 team feild honor recipiant (UCSF)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-17-2009, 12:50 AM
bigred76's Avatar
bigred76 bigred76 is offline
Resident *******
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 6,228
Default Re: What (in your opinion) makes a good paintball gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim and shady View Post
Finally my overall look on it is this, it doesnt matter whats in your hands its how you use it. If you think a gun is good and it works for you thats all that matters.
Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim and shady View Post
Both markers are designed to shoot a ball X amount of feet per second. Each marker does this.
Truth to a point. It's much like comparing a Bugatti Veyron to an '89 Honda Civic (ignoring, of course, fuel usage). They both get you somewhere, but the Bugatti does it much faster and with much better style.

I shoot high-ends because I could afford to fork out the money for them. I've NEVER payed more than $650 for a gun, and that was a very, very special gun. other than that, sub-$500 level, down around $200-400 is where it's at. I pay, at most, 3 times more than a Spyder does from the factory. Two times more than Solitaire payed for his '09 Pilot. It's not like I dump thousands into a single marker. I dump thousands into a bunch of markers.

Accuracy is affected by consistency and the quality of the machining. With a low-tolerance marker, God only knows where the air's going to hit the ball and how. With a high-end, that is very predictable, and thus, it is accurate. There is NO WAY your '09 Pilot will be as consistent with CO2 as one of my Angels with HPA. My Angels get +/-7fps over the chronograph.

BPS... lawl. The place I go to is NPPL and PSP/NXL depending on the field and the players. NPPL rules are uncapped semi and PSP/NXL are both the 13.33bps standard (they haven't changed that yet).


Also, Solitaire, I'd like to point out that I said "aluminum," and not "titanium." Titanium is a much more brittle metal, and not very useful in paintball markers' body designs. For rams in Ego's it seems to do fine, but that's the most I'd ever use that material for.
__________________
SOC (+41, -0) | PBN (+12, -0) | New PBN (+20, -0)

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Solitare2point1 Solitare2point1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 29
Default Re: What (in your opinion) makes a good paintball gun?

@Red and slim. Good points from both of you.

@Red, about your angels comparison to my pilot. I understand what you're saying about the performance... my point was that if I make my marker as efficient as it can possibly be, getting a new reg, asa, bolt, barrel, board upgrade if and when they are available it will still be looked at as a trash gun because it's a spyder. So I guess I'm trying to get down to the reason of this logic.

To use your same comparison with cars as an example. If I looked at an 89 civic and a bugatti, yes I would know that the bugatti owner spent more money on the car. Now, if the 89 civic had a ton of motor work and ran 10s, people would still look at the bugatti as a better car... despite the fact that it performs better than the more expensive car. Some people would think it was stupid to spend all the money on the civic to get it to do what a bugatti can almost do stock, whereas the small minority might respect the civic owner because he did something from nothing. That minority doesn't seem to exist in mass in the paintball community.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-17-2009, 04:20 PM
pntballer5634's Avatar
pntballer5634 pntballer5634 is offline
who did you say you were?
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: toms river
Posts: 395
Default Re: What (in your opinion) makes a good paintball gun?

forget all that crap. a good gun does these things
1. the ball goes where your sight is pointed every time ( or comes close) and does so at nearly the same speed.
2. it can make accurate shots at a longer range ( about 200 feet)
3. reasonably priced
4. can be customized
5. simple to use/ maintain
6. can shoot as with high or low ROF
7. is better than red's
8. has a sense of uniqueness
9. efficient
10. looks cool
i think that sums it up
__________________
my feedback
______________________________________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret15
ahh to the days you can appreciate the gifts too! nothing like getting legos on your b-day
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 PM
bigred76's Avatar
bigred76 bigred76 is offline
Resident *******
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 6,228
Default Re: What (in your opinion) makes a good paintball gun?

The Bugatti will still be looked at better because no matter what you do to the Civic short of a rocket engine, it still won't compare. You must remember that in paintball, there are upgrades for every gun out there. For every $50 you put into your gun, I could easily put in $50 and make it better. The gap will never close between low-ends and high-ends so long as the user of the high-end isn't an idiot and uses his marker properly. Of course, you can upgrade your Spyder to be decent, but why bother when for $300 you can have a high-end? Hell, $200 gets you an Alias these days. There simply is no point anymore to upgrade your Spyder if you want a better gun unless you're blinded by the "customization" factor, which is available on every marker.

Pntballer5634, if your gun is better than one of mine, that's an accomplishment in and of itself. Also, real paintball markers don't have sights... you use your eyes.
__________________
SOC (+41, -0) | PBN (+12, -0) | New PBN (+20, -0)

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-17-2009, 10:03 PM
slim and shady's Avatar
slim and shady slim and shady is offline
Life is peachy
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wildwood, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,239
Default Re: What (in your opinion) makes a good paintball gun?

I used to be where you are solitare, but then I got into arguments with Red (I respect reds opinion alot) this helped me in alot of ways. He represents his side of i strongly and I do the same. If I dont get an aspect of whatever we are disscussing I just plain ask him. He explains it and then you understand. you dont just think about it and get mad because you can understand where the other is comming from. PM's are great its a private conversation disscussing what you think theres no flamming other people jumping in ect. So my advice to you is find somone you respect start throwing the ideas out there and get an understanding of why there position on the subject is where it is.

The only thing that I would say red about your first post is I wouldnt compair a marker using Co2 to a marker using HPA. even if there both spyders the HPA will always come out ahead.
__________________
General Shawn Wayne Tetz, Commander 187th Gaurds Mechanized Rilfe Division.
- Includes the 3rd armored brigade from the 34th Gaurds Armored Division. (APC's and armor as well as support elements)
-UCSF Armored Division Commander



Armored Units

-Deep insertion APC
-Killer "B" Battle Tank
-Troop Transport APC (almost done)
-Gun Truck heavy support unit (In the works)



-Order of Lenin (1st)
-Skyline Sergeant
-YGP Rep!
-Sector 4 team feild honor recipiant (UCSF)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:51 PM.