Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Shop Talk > Custom Shop
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I just want to make the kids cry...

Default Custom work

Well I am finally getting back on my feet "wheels" so to say, and about ready to start working again.... medical reasons....
How can I get setup here on the forums to do custom work for the members ?

I dont have CNC machines.

But I do have a Lathe and Mill, a welder but not setup for Alum at this time.
I have been in the business of working on Crossman Air guns as well as Firearms for many years, as well as many motorcycle parts...

I just need to know what the paintballers want/need most...

If things work out and I can get a space here on the forums, I can donate a part of each job thats for a member to the forums ?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 PM
New Guy

Default Re: Custom work

I have an MR2 w/eyes. I think it would be most cool to have an m-16 style selector switch for the firing modes. I don't know if this is even possible let alone something I can afford. At any rate I wouldn't do anything until next winter. Maybe you could mull it over for awhile. I think there could be a big market for this mod...
Smartparts 20" bbl
Timmy detents
ACP 2 ring bolt
Simmons 30mm red dot scope
1" offset scope rail
Remote w/ co2
Evo III loader Shoot'n recon paint
Old 04-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Resident *******

Making paintball related parts is a very hard business to be in. I'm a paintball photographer, and I get asked constantly to get free prints. Not only do paintballers want stuff for free, they're VERY fickle. It has to be juuuuuuuust right.

Take this idea over to the work I'm doing with NecroPB. I helped design and prototype the NecroRam. Now, how well is it going to sell? God only knows. Timmy's are coming and going, and noone can tell when or how it'll go. The same with Spyders, especially since there are other marker brands out there that are commanding more attention from new players these days than Spyders. I would not set up shop until you gauge the interest properly, and are CERTAIN you can maintain a profit from this venture.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 04-19-2009, 03:58 AM
I didn't do it...No witnesses survived

Now's a hard time to be airsmithing, there are already a number of high-quality established airsmiths that are doing very good work. Breaking in on them may be difficult. Plus, with the current state of the economy, not as many people are spending the money on custom work.

While Red brings up a number of good points, the necroram is slightly different. With that, you have someone developing a single part, and testing and refining it until it is perfect. Machine work is slightly different in that it is labor, and time, intensive.

For the selector switch you would need two major components. The first would be a new trigger frame that would allow for space for the additional components. This would run anywhere from $150 to $500 depending on who you have do the work, how complicated it is and things like that. The second component you would need would be a board that would work with a selector switch type setup. I would recommend starting with a Scenario Dreams T-Board, and then discussing with Damon the custom programming you would need for the selector control.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to
go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will"
Ronald Reagan
Old 04-19-2009, 12:09 PM

I would mainly be doing things not so much for profit but making parts or custom work for the guys that cant afford "custom" I'm doing this as a hobby.

My profit work is in the motorcycle world...

I have made a simple little safety on my MR1, insted of push button style, I have a rotary selector.

This is just a simple prototype I'm doing to mine. But will make a few more later thats a milled out all nice and factory looking.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Prototype selector safty.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Babalui

Selector is very cool, but you will have to improve on layout, make it more realistic, like on MP5, M16, or AK-47. I may be interested into such addition, but what would be the price?

If I may suggest one thing that I'm struggling with right now. Among my projects there is a wish for a PB pistol, much like in Otter's project. There he used Classic, and I want to convert Imagine. But, I'm having trouble making any adaptor for CO2. Its hard to explain my needs at any local workshop, and only offer so far was in range of 50 USD
I was thinking about using lathe to shape front half of MR's ASA, so it would be a copy of VA/LPC fitting. CO2 adapter will go into unchanged ASA thread, and will be placed under the barrel, facing forward. Something along this line (trigger should be to the left, barrel pointed to the right):

Or, if it is easier, make one from scratch?

I would be very interested into such adapter for Imagine, as wel into one for MR1
Old 04-19-2009, 01:30 PM

So you basically need a short 90* ASA ?

The safety would be like $20 and yes it would end up looking like a real selector switch.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Babalui

Erm, straight?

Lucky me, I found charged batteries for camera Here is what I have at this moment. I've shortened LPC and threaded the hole into 1/8, but I screw it up like monumentally - I've threaded under slight angle (not visible on the pic). So this one is going down the drain. As you can see, I currently cannot fit the barrel beacuse ASA is in the way, but this can be solved with some heavy dremmeling. Not much of a problem.

This is what I want:

Axis of ASA has to be a bit lower in the second case. "Rear" end os ASA goes into body, instead of old vertical adapter.
If you think that you can do this, we could continue about the details over PM/mail
Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 PM
i spray and you pray

tap the va and have a 90* come out of it

i wanna get a flex!!!