Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Mechanical Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
New Guy

Default Need help upgrading

I just got an MR1 and want to do some upgrades.
Heres my list.

* J&J 16' Barrel
* Delrin bolt (whats difference with low bolt?)
* Fireball Mountain Delrin blade trigger (or does other triggers work for this?)
* Scenario Dreams 25-gram trigger switch (can use with stock trigger or holder?)
* Bob Long Intimidator ball detent (Does this work also?)

Sorry but I am a noob at this and have been researching all these upgrades. Apparently I don't quite understand some of these items. The ones in parentheses.

Any other opinions or suggestions would be grateful.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Need help upgrading

1) J&J's are OK- certainly cheap, but a better choice would be Lapco barrels. Their Big Shot .691" is a good all around choice. Also the J&J barrels aren't consistent in their sizing. 16" is pretty long, remember that all you need is 8"-10" of un-ported length for maximum accuracy and efficiency. Any more and you lose maneuverability and air efficiency, especially with a barrel that has a lot of porting like the J&J. Lapco's 10" or 12" barrel fits the bill nicely.

2)Low Blow Bolt from ACP(I assume that's what you meant)- is meant to put a slight backspin on the ball. No experience with them personally but I've heard they're not worth the extra $$$. I have two ACP delrin 3 o-ring bolts (one black with the third o-ring in the ball detent slot and one white with the 3rd o-ring behind the ball detent slot) and an ACP delrin/SS striker if you are interested.

3&4) Can't comment

5) Timmy detents are a bit tougher than the stock Spyder detents. I've never used them, but never had lots of trouble with the stockers. You'll definitely want to keep a few extra detents on hand, be it the Timmies or the stockers as a broken one can ruin your day. They are cheap and easy to replace.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Double Tomahawk my way threw

* a barrel is a good upgrade 14 or 16 is good.
* a derlin bolt is also a good upgrade since its lightweight... alamo city bolt
* bob long timmy detents detents are good too... i believe they are a little longer but they fit
* try to get a electronic trigger... sometimes they have them in the b/s/t section on this forum
mOddEd LiKe HeLL (1:21:29 PM): i was there from 10pm to 4am
FootInY0Ass (1:22:15 PM): holy **** you dropped it hard last night
mOddEd LiKe HeLL (1:22:57 PM): and i was there thursday and friday
mOddEd LiKe HeLL (1:23:20 PM): thursday, they closed early so we went to the bar up the street afterwards
FootInY0Ass (1:23:40 PM): AA time.......
SOC Feedback : http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=5392
Ebay Feedback : http://myworld.ebay.com/vicentezarate
Old 03-25-2009, 03:35 PM

A couple more good add on's would be a CCM feed neck and a Palmer's stabilizer.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Life is peachy

HPA is always a nessissary upgrade

Armored Units

-Deep insertion APC
-Killer "B" Battle Tank
-Troop Transport APC (almost done)
-Gun Truck heavy support unit (In the works)

-Order of Lenin (1st)
-Skyline Sergeant
-YGP Rep!
-Sector 4 team feild honor recipiant (UCSF)
Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim and shady View Post
Maybe, but not always an option. Believe it or not, there are actually parts of this world that don't have HPA readily available. I happen to live in one of those parts... I'll admit that it would be nice not having to buy stabilizers, adding anti-siphon tubes and converting to low pressure to avoid shoot down. It would also be nice to have a wider selection of markers too but alas, I've learned to make due with CO2 and am quite satisfied with it. All three of my Spyders and my PPS Blazer get fed a steady diet of CO2 and don't complain.

If you level the playing field a little, CO2 isn't as bad as many think.

First, HPA is regulated and CO2 isn't. Add to that most of today's newer markers already have a reg on them, making them dual regged, where most blowbacks have none on gun or on the tank.

Second, most of today's newer markers run at way lower pressures than the CO2 friendly blowbacks.

If you added a regulator to a previously unregulated gun and lower it's operating pressure, the playing field is now much more level. No or less shoot down due to high rates of fire or cold weather and a fairly consistent shot velocity due to the regulator.

That being said, you still shouldn't run CO2 in most electro's because while you can regulate the pressure and weed out the liquid, the higher cycle rates of many elctro's can actually change the gaseous CO2 back to liquid, potentially damaging the solenoids.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Life is peachy

Co2 for the most part is just alot harder on the marker, unless of corse you spend the money to buy stabalizers ect. and alot of people dont and like you said even then it still can be harder on your marker. If you cant get it....meh. Make due with Co2. Another good up is a locking feedneck.

Armored Units

-Deep insertion APC
-Killer "B" Battle Tank
-Troop Transport APC (almost done)
-Gun Truck heavy support unit (In the works)

-Order of Lenin (1st)
-Skyline Sergeant
-YGP Rep!
-Sector 4 team feild honor recipiant (UCSF)
Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim and shady View Post
What is HPA?

Can we keep to the thread title please? Thanks. I just want my gun to be bad ass and kill rambo style... haha.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:07 AM
New Guy

Is there a difference between a regular ACP delrin bolt and low blow ACP delrin bolt?

Lapco barrels are bit expensive, but its worth the money you pay for? And you say a 14" is good enough? or 16"?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditbu13oi View Post
Is there a difference between a regular ACP delrin bolt and low blow ACP delrin bolt?

Lapco barrels are bit expensive, but its worth the money you pay for? And you say a 14" is good enough? or 16"?
There is supposed to be, but from what I've read (not personal experience), there is little to no functional difference.

IMO yes, it's worth the extra money to get a Lapco. If you've ever had the chance to hold them both side by side, there would be absolutely no doubt. The J&J bore sizes are not held to a very tight standard and the ceramic finish is actually fairly rough (This is personal experience). The Lapco's are dead on every time with a gorgeous finish on the inside and outside and have very air efficient porting. As for barrel length, really a 10" or 12" barrel is all you need. I fell into the longer is better trap when I first got my MR1 and got a 14" J&J. The thing just felt awkward. The MR1 is well suited to a 10 or 12...

Having a 14",16" or even 24" barrel will gain you virtually nothing in terms of accuracy, nothing as far as distance is concerned and you will lose air efficiency due to the increased length. The only benefit of a longer barrel is strictly mental... Meaning you may like the looks more.

As for what HPA is... It is an acronym for High Pressure Air. Basically it's atmospheric air compressed to 3000 psi or 4500psi. For unregulated markers like your MR1, it would benefit you to use it due to increased consistency. Consistency means accuracy and you know what that means...

With some time and money, you can CO2 work very well for you (smart if HPA isn't available) or it would be much easier is to switch to HPA if it is an option.

On the subject of HPA vs. CO2 read this:http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=16300.

For how to make your MR1 work better on CO2, click the link in my signature.

Last edited by ProX : 03-26-2009 at 01:58 PM.