Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default Re: Why no respect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim and shady View Post
Im hoping vike responds to this thread im very interested to here his stance on this. so I will wait
Hahaha! I was in the middle of posting when you and Tim both responded - I don't want to delete any of this though so here goes.

[clears throat] Time for a old style Vike post!

Ok, this is a rant on this subject. I've seen a lot in the past several years that make me wonder there's even paintball around to play anymore. The newest generation of players (back to about 5 years ago) are the rudest, most ignorant, unsportsmanlike players I've seen in ANY sport in my entire life. Does it really hurt that much to tell another team "Good job" or "That was a good game" before and after a game? And doing it NOT for a sportsmanship trophy, but because it's the right thing to do?

It used to be that if another team was of lesser skill, you might play them, but you'd probably take it a little easy on them and then show them what they did and how they could fix it. Nowadays, this rarely happens. Its all "kill, murder, and raping noobs" BS. And when you consider a LOT of these trash talkers are fat, slow, sloppy, with ugly skills and couldn't make a high school team even if the team was a just show up and play team - well, that makes us all look bad, doesn't it? Trash talk is one thing, but these guys take it too far most of the time. I blame the internet by allowing most of them to hide behind their keyboards, and constant repetition of the garbage spewing from their minds is finally spewing from their mouths and attitudes.

Why else would most people QUIT the sport they love the most?

/rant

Ok, as to the question of intelligence in the woods. Meh, I've seen PLENTY of ignorant speedball players in my time. I think the ignorance is pretty equal on both sides of the paintball fence. (Posted prior to Tim's last post - so don't worry about this part...)

I like them both for different reasons. I like the rush, excitement, and the speed involved in speedball, and the methodical, tactical maneuverability of woodsball. They both have their good points, and they both have their bad points. I personally prefer using a pump in the woods, but I also wear my bright colored jerseys and have played with bright and shiny guns out there. I also really enjoy playing with my pumps on the speedball course as well.

I do really dislike the attitudes the "military" type guys (not actual military guys, but those that turn the whole thing into a giant army thing) who walk around with their chests puffed out talking about "kills" and such. When they came around our field, I really had to hold myself back from just lighting the crap out of them out there. I don't care they have a thousand bucks in camo and tippman gear on their bodies, so don't make it seem like it's the most important thing - and DON'T carve notches in your gun (figuratively, of course) because it's all for fun.

I do really dislike the holier than thou attitudes of the tournament speedball player (or wannabe) thinking they're the best thing that walk the earth. ESPECIALLY those punks that actually finish a rookie tournament somewhere above the middle of the pack for the first time. These guys actually think they're the only kids to ever have accomplished this feat. It takes all I have to keep from going out on the speedball field and showing them what I think about their "skills". It's a team sport and people need to realize that, and get back to what makes it "sport".

Then there's the "experienced" tournament players who smack talk everyone. Nuff said.

Basically, what I'm generalizing is that paintball players tend to be idiots in general. We are self destructing and tearing apart the game we love by ignorant and childish behavior, for the most part. It's ok that we act that way, but what we do is throw it out there for the world to see when we should do what other sports do and hide it from the spectators eyes.

Basically, woodsball/speedball - I love them both. But grow up, learn some sportsmanship, and remember why you started playing in the first place for Christ's sake!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Life is peachy

So you think then vike the problem between the two groups is more the younger players with bad additudes towards fellow players?

Armored Units

-Deep insertion APC
-Killer "B" Battle Tank
-Troop Transport APC (almost done)
-Gun Truck heavy support unit (In the works)

-Order of Lenin (1st)
-Skyline Sergeant
-YGP Rep!
-Sector 4 team feild honor recipiant (UCSF)
Old 01-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Not necessarily. I think they are our greatest asset, but they are getting their attitudes FROM the more experienced players and because they don't know any better, and the number of more experienced people dropping out of the game that had the right attitude, this is causing the problem.

Let's face it. The point of this game is to SHOOT someone. Not the most friendly thing in the world, right? So, take that stigma, throw in some attitude from some idiots, mix it up on some of the forums around the net and Voila! You have a horrible tasting **** pie we call a "sport". And it's not appealing to anyone. Then, to make it worse, we divide this pie between the different versions of the game. Woodsball, speedball, rec ball, scenario, etc. and everyone is wanting the largest piece. THEN, throw all the industries in there that cater to the different versions, and the fact that they actually egg on this dissention, well - dessert isn't something that I really want for supper, you know?

In other sports, we don't look down on the lower levels. Peewee football, little league baseball, junior high sports, etc. But, here in this sport, we drag everyone down because they aren't playing "nationally." What? This is ridiculous!

I just feel we need to get back to basics. Those being sportsmanship, attitude, and helpfulness.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Life is peachy

That was very well put great answear and I think it opened my eyes to veiw the larger picture great post Vike!

Now I will wait for DF's responce

Armored Units

-Deep insertion APC
-Killer "B" Battle Tank

-Order of Lenin (1st)
-Skyline Sergeant
-YGP Rep!
Old 01-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Resident *******

Bryce... remembered my name??? The world is about to end!!!

As I'm sick and coughing up... stuff... every 5min I can't create a long post like Vike, but I will say this: your points are very "right-on" and I get what your saying. I will pick on the woodsballers more than the speedsballers due to the "military" (I couldn't come up with a word for it, either) aspect that they seem to think is so wonderful. That is part of what I meant of people being ignorant. To me ignorance is not bliss, it is damning. I loathe every bit of it, and work very hard while I'm at the field to hold my red-hot temper in check when an asshat comes by.

*sits down and waits for Sasquatch*

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 01-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Life is peachy

What exactly about the "military" aspect gets you so bad? I mean you voiced how wrong it was for people to make a deal about you were speedball colors ect instead of dressing like a "bush" hows that any different then you thinking that dressing like a bush is inapropriate? I fail to see how "military" suplies ignorence to the sport explain to me Red!

Armored Units

-Deep insertion APC
-Killer "B" Battle Tank

-Order of Lenin (1st)
-Skyline Sergeant
-YGP Rep!
Old 01-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Resident *******

Ugh... and people say I'm an ass... I refreshed to see what Bryce replied and if Sascha replied yet, and I see me being asked a question... one last post then I'm downing the bottle of NyQuil.

Essentially, my train of thought is like this: you only take onto the field what you need. If that's a pack full of paint, fine. If that's a marker, fine. But don't take out onto the field flashlights, knives, laser pointers (which ARE illegal in Cali to use like most woodsballers do around here, btw), scopes, remote lines, vests, etc etc etc. You only need to take the basics: a mask, a marker, a hopper, and a tank. All that extraneous bull crap makes the marker 10lbs heavier than it needs to be, and to top it off: 9/10 mil-sim markers are crap. They're mostly Tippmann based. The 1/10 that aren't crap are the Mag and the MTac (based off the Marq). The SP8's even crap. Why waste money like a fool for all this... crap???? It's IDIOCY, I say. They're too foolish to understand how paintball works.

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Old 01-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Life is peachy

Well equiptment like a vest is used to hold the paint that you need on the feild, and the tank the remote is used so your "paperweight" is a little lighter see games may last a wial before you head back to respawn so the vest is essencial to carry the paint more comfy! as for the knives laser pointers and flashlights I cant see anyone using those because there not effective at all unless of corse your playing at night that would essencialy be different and yes im tryin to get your goat cuz your sick!

Armored Units

-Deep insertion APC
-Killer "B" Battle Tank

-Order of Lenin (1st)
-Skyline Sergeant
-YGP Rep!
Old 01-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

I played a game with a guy who that his laser sight was the most important part of his gun, I kid you not. We were actually a little nervous because he was pointing it into people's goggles - we thought maybe we'd be blinded!

Fortunately, he was just as crappy a player as his ideas were. He couldn't find us most of the time, and he liked to "hide" in places that didn't really hide him, if you know what I mean. He never came back after that one day....
Old 01-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Resident *******

Quote:
Well equiptment like a vest is used to hold the paint that you need on the feild, and the tank the remote is used so your "paperweight" is a little lighter see games may last a wial before you head back to respawn so the vest is essencial to carry the paint more comfy!
My Redz 4.4 pack holds so much paint it's unreal. Why do you need more?

Quote:
yes im tryin to get your goat cuz your sick!
Alberta is sounding closer and closer as I'm looking up driving directions.

Exactly my point, Vike. Here in Cali it's a felony to ATTEMPT to point a laser pointer in a threatening fashion. Using one meant for a firearm is even worse.

BigRed Photography

Quote: