Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > General Spyder Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Cat? Wat

Default Remanufactured vs. New

Hello, I finally got my account validated, I am a little new here. (Don't worry, I read the rules and checked the stickies!)

I was wondering, what is the big difference between a remanufactured marker and a brand spankin' new one? I know for sure I am going to buy a VS2. Remanufactured ones cost $70, which is a really good deal. Brand new ones seem to be a lot more expensive. So far the only difference I've picked up between the two is the manufacturer warranties: one month vs. one year. But as in terms of durability and longevity, are remanufactured ones just as equal or slightly inferior to new ones?

I take good care of my Spyders, and I'm looking for a gun to last at least four years. (My heavily used 04 imagine has totally bitten the dust as of a month ago, and is now completely unfixable.)
Old 01-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I didn't do it...No witnesses survived

Default Re: Remanufactured vs. New

I've bought several remanufactured Spyders, all have been in nearly new condition. I would say that you can buy with confidence.

As for the Imagine, what happened? Almost nothing (short of holes in places there shouldn't be) is unfixable in a Spyder.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to
go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will"
Ronald Reagan
Old 01-31-2009, 08:28 AM

I bought a refurbished vs2 and it was fine. Probably safer than buying used because atleast a tech inspected, cleaned and lubed it. It did come with R stamped in the side. I sanded it and had it black anodized shot it last summer while my shocker was acting up.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Cat? Wat

Unhappy Re: Remanufactured vs. New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
As for the Imagine, what happened? Almost nothing (short of holes in places there shouldn't be) is unfixable in a Spyder.
Funny you should ask. Several things happened in the past three months. It has been a good gun, but its time it to go.

Problem #1 - The screw hole that goes from the e-trigger frame to the front of the gun is stripped The only way the front of that stays together is by a few threads on the front gun frame. Not sure how long that will last...
Problem #2 - Air leaks out of the space in b/t the gun handle and gun body. My solution (after replacing all the o-rings) was to add an o-ring randomly, and apply gasket sealant. (semi-permanent fixative) It worked, but after four shots it lead to problem #3.
Problem #3 - Air leaks out the barrel! Noooooo! After replacing the cup seal, making sure there were no bent parts, and replacing EVERY O-ring and oiling them, it still leaks slowly.
Problem #4 - Bolt and metal surrounding bolt are both scratched up after four long years of use. Even after cleaning, oiling, O-ring replacement, it still leaks. I have taken care of the gun fine with general maintenance suggested in the manual, I think its just old. It hates cheaper paint and even chops tourney paint now and then. I don't want a new delrin bolt with no o-rings in a scratched up chamber.
Problem #5 - Low fps - Even with everything ship-shape, a new spring kit could only get the fps to 250 max; avg 240. I put in the stiffest spring. (I like shooting 275-280) This kinda happened in the past year gradually, and lowered when I switch to hpa.
Problem #6 - Bottle housing is losing threads and becoming slowly stripped. If order a new part, or I'm going to order all of them. I'd rather just have a new gun.

Spyders are plenty durable enough for me. I am going to go ahead and get the remanufactured one.
It takes a lot to squish a Spyder. <---- punny
Old 01-31-2009, 03:09 PM
add 1,794 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel-Strike View Post
Hello, I finally got my account validated, I am a little new here. (Don't worry, I read the rules and checked the stickies!)
man, I wish everyone did that!

as for the imagine, damn, that thing just seems wore out!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Cat? Wat

Exclamation Re: Remanufactured vs. New

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkShadow View Post
man, I wish everyone did that!

as for the imagine, damn, that thing just seems wore out!
Haha, and to testify for the imagine's final stand, I played three weekends will ALL of those problems. Free hpa, leaks didn't phase me... for a while... Of course, now the imagine has officially driven me insane, and I'm ready to drop those bucks for a new VS2. Thanks for the answers.
lol
Old 01-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Cat? Wat

Oh, and I figured I would describe it in my signature hehe.

Oh noes double postage!
Leaky 04 Imagine eMarker, J & J Ceramic 14 inch, Broken empire loader (hot glue and nails fix), Broken plastic feedneck (gorilla glue) AMAZING 4500 88ci Pure energy carbon + gym sock cover. You haven't seen cheapo till now.

I blew my mind, not my wallet
Old 02-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

sorry im a little late, havent had internet for a few days.

i managed to pick up a refurb'd pilot acs off ebay (through Firstcall) for $45, and i must say, the internals looked like they had never been fired. the only wear/damage was on the anno on the body and expansion chamber, and some wear on the anno where the screws rub against it.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
What is it that keeps drawing me back to buying a Spyder when I can buy any other gun of my choice?!?

Post Re: Remanufactured vs. New

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper View Post
sorry im a little late, havent had internet for a few days.

i managed to pick up a refurb'd pilot acs off ebay (through Firstcall) for $45, and i must say, the internals looked like they had never been fired. the only wear/damage was on the anno on the body and expansion chamber, and some wear on the anno where the screws rub against it.
First Call Paintball is a really nice and reliable place with good prices and fast shipping. If you ever need something you should check them out.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Double Tomahawk my way threw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel-Strike View Post
...after four long years of use...
sounds to me like you got your moneys worth... if your wanna get a remanufactured spyder go ahead and get it. the techs do service them before they are for sale again and if you give them heavy use like you say then you will know in about less than a month (remanufactured warrenty).

we are always here to help...just let us know
mOddEd LiKe HeLL (1:21:29 PM): i was there from 10pm to 4am
FootInY0Ass (1:22:15 PM): holy **** you dropped it hard last night
mOddEd LiKe HeLL (1:22:57 PM): and i was there thursday and friday
mOddEd LiKe HeLL (1:23:20 PM): thursday, they closed early so we went to the bar up the street afterwards
FootInY0Ass (1:23:40 PM): AA time.......
SOC Feedback : http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=5392
Ebay Feedback : http://myworld.ebay.com/vicentezarate