Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Picture and Video Pages
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-26-2008, 03:40 AM
druid's Avatar
druid druid is offline
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: hiding behind my 114/45 :D
Posts: 3,547
Default thought I'd try my hand with rabbit fur

Well as luck would have it, my sister brought over her childhood rabbit fur coat for any one of my two youngest daughters to wear. Neither of them wanted to wear it...lol. It's old but in nice shape...however real fur is not their thing...so I was thinking - rather than throw it out I'd cut off an arm and see how a sporran might look.

Here's the "before":
Outside:

Inside:


Almost done:




inside "hanger" reinforcement piece:


Inside shot:



I removed the gold liner and that revealed that the skins were sewn to a canvas backing/base cloth.

This is the shoulder of the coat arm and you can see that I simply tucked under the 'outer/top' part of the shoulder of the sleeve to make the bottom.

I made two flap covers of the same leather - about 12oz each and stitched them together around a short length of fur. These are sealed inside with ModPodge to make it stiff and glued together in the center of the flap.

As you can see, I'm not quite done trimming the edge of it (the flap) and I will look around Celtic Fest this weekend for a nice god Triquetra or Celtic Cross jewelry piece to mount directly in the center. I may burnish the edges instead of wrapping them with other leather and resewing...or I may use matching waxed sinew to cross-whip stitch the edge...not sure what I want to do yet.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-26-2008, 05:23 AM
battlechaser's Avatar
battlechaser battlechaser is offline
Seņor Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The 51st State - Canada
Posts: 1,076
Default Re: thought I'd try my hand with rabbit fur

PETA officially hates you now.

As always good job, in fact.. from now on I'm just going to type DITTO instead of this sentence.
__________________
-BATTLEchaser
Feedback - MCB / SOC / PBn / IOG / CC / eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2008, 06:39 AM
DFSniper's Avatar
DFSniper DFSniper is offline
Official SOC Short Bus Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 8,401
Default Re: thought I'd try my hand with rabbit fur

wow, the prisoners actually behave themselves long enough to get some sewing done? very nice job, paul.
__________________
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Critical's Avatar
Critical Critical is offline
I didn't do it...No witnesses survived
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 1,554
Default Re: thought I'd try my hand with rabbit fur

"there goes Peter Cottontail,
swinging like he's Druid's tail
chopity chop chop look at what Druid made."
__________________
SOC Feedback: +32/-0

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to
go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will"
Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-26-2008, 07:48 AM
DFSniper's Avatar
DFSniper DFSniper is offline
Official SOC Short Bus Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 8,401
Default Re: thought I'd try my hand with rabbit fur

omg! im trying so hard not to bust out laughing in the library right now!!!!!!
__________________
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2008, 09:52 AM
battlechaser's Avatar
battlechaser battlechaser is offline
Seņor Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The 51st State - Canada
Posts: 1,076
Default Re: thought I'd try my hand with rabbit fur

I was thinking... that should be quite good for keeping the "boys" warm for winter.

Just so long as the next post isn't a rabbit fur thong though...
__________________
-BATTLEchaser
Feedback - MCB / SOC / PBn / IOG / CC / eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2008, 10:34 AM
ferret15's Avatar
ferret15 ferret15 is offline
09 SOTM WINNAR!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rockford
Posts: 1,088
Default Re: thought I'd try my hand with rabbit fur

for whatever reason I am always just a bit afraid of opening up your threads... especial since i am never sure what could be behind them.


Nice work.
__________________
contact me for custom work

Feedback +18/0
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-26-2008, 01:58 PM
druid's Avatar
druid druid is offline
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: hiding behind my 114/45 :D
Posts: 3,547
Default Re: thought I'd try my hand with rabbit fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlechaser View Post
PETA officially hates you now.

As always good job, in fact.. from now on I'm just going to type DITTO instead of this sentence.
No additional bunnies died in the construction of this sporran.....




...however small game season is around the corner and I'm lusting after some rabbit stew

and thanks...lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper View Post
wow, the prisoners actually behave themselves long enough to get some sewing done? very nice job, paul.
I'm off for 4 days so I can go to celtic fest this weekend. The prisoners are lucky I don't have a sporran made from THEM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
"there goes Peter Cottontail,
swinging like he's Druid's tail
chopity chop chop look at what Druid made."
dude.....I frikkin almost spit my frikkin coffee at the frikkin monitor.....LMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlechaser View Post
I was thinking... that should be quite good for keeping the "boys" warm for winter.

Just so long as the next post isn't a rabbit fur thong though...
The wool of the Kilt will keep the boys warm...

and a thong? Neh...I run commando so there's no need for a thong...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret15 View Post
for whatever reason I am always just a bit afraid of opening up your threads... especial since i am never sure what could be behind them.
Nice work.

LOL......why? I'm.......ok

......::no he's not::.....Yes I am....::shuddap dude, yer fried::....Bite me....::grrrrrrrrrrrrrOWROWROWR::.....OUCH stop it.....::mmmm tasty::......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-26-2008, 02:29 PM
DFSniper's Avatar
DFSniper DFSniper is offline
Official SOC Short Bus Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 8,401
Default Re: thought I'd try my hand with rabbit fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
LOL......why? I'm.......ok

......::no he's not::.....Yes I am....::shuddap dude, yer fried::....Bite me....::grrrrrrrrrrrrrOWROWROWR::.....OUCH stop it.....::mmmm tasty::......
LMAO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
"there goes Peter Cottontail,
swinging like he's Druid's tail
chopity chop chop look at what Druid made."
i just realized that i was singing the Hippitus Hoppitus song from South Park on my way to the library BEFORE i read this thread this morning!
__________________
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-26-2008, 03:02 PM
battlechaser's Avatar
battlechaser battlechaser is offline
Seņor Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The 51st State - Canada
Posts: 1,076
Default Re: thought I'd try my hand with rabbit fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
The wool of the Kilt will keep the boys warm...

and a thong? Neh...I run commando so there's no need for a thong...
Who said anything about wearing it under the kilt...

o_O

-_-

O_o

-_-

O_O
__________________
-BATTLEchaser
Feedback - MCB / SOC / PBn / IOG / CC / eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:38 AM.