Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2008, 10:31 PM
wait till they think they're safe.. then explode with a chaos of paint

Default Re: So why would I be doing this?

wow good luck.... if only i could play a game ahhh i need it bad its like crack... i shot my spyder imagine the other day and almost cried because i missed that sound and feeling so much... someone come play with me!!!! sigh....
Old 07-27-2008, 03:25 AM
Bling Bling Bling

Good Luck Buddy...

Let us know how you do.

Trust
*AO*IO*KUSA*PBN*PHOG*
You have been roshamboed
BAMF-Hacker's Mood: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:14 AM
THE GAME

drink water. own kids half your age. have fun.

did I cover it all?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Reppin the N-Dub

I actually had a similar situation to Vike, i got fed up with the attitudes and "quit" but then three days before a tournament was asked to go play. So for the first time since around may our team went and played in a tourney on saturday

2007 Idaho State Soccer Champions!!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 12:55 PM
10/19/03

Great to hear Vike.

Can't wait to see how you did.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Well, I got back around 8:00 this evening, so after I took a LONG hot shower and soaked for awhile, I finally decided to come let you know how we did.

First of all, it was HOTT! With a double "t" and all...105* according to the news, with a heat index of 107*. Not a lick of a breeze until around 11:00 or so, then only in the center of the field. Even though the sidelines were in shade, it was so hot and humid, it was really miserable. I made a comment at one time there wasn't a dry place on my body, and my kids started poking me on the arms, hands, nose - everywhere that was appropriate and where I'd let them - and I was right - they couldn't find a single dry place, haha! I think it would have been better had we actually been practicing throughout the summer to get acclimated to playing in the weather, but I'm sure none of you came here to read a weather report!

(BTW - I did drink a ton of water! )

Ok, to give you some background, this is a series called the "Master's Series" - 5 tournaments (I think) culminating in a Series championship in September. This was the fourth tournament of the series, and you have to have played in two tournaments to qualify for the championhip, which was why we were playing today.

There were two divisions, and the top two teams in the Novice level (our level) and the top 3 teams in the Rookie level were going on to the finals. It was single flag CTF, 10 points per person shot out, 20 for flag pull, and 50 for flag hang. We had to play some Rookie teams, but I'm here to say that some of those "rookie" teams weren't "rookie" teams, haha! In fact, there were a couple of "rookie" teams that had more points than some of the novice teams - and pretty much rolled everyone they played. I'm going to stop short of saying "Sandbagging," though. I don't know the complete story on them, and that's how rumors get started...

OK, we took 2nd in our division (missed first by only 20 points) which meant we had a spot in the finals. The funny thing is that we actually rolled the team that won our division. (Warning! Bragging time! I shot all three of them myself without having a single shot fired at me, haha!)

I do have to say that despite having not played in a tournament in over 3 years, and not having even practiced since like March, I felt pretty good and had a great tournament - I shot a LOT of people out, most in gun battles, and was able to move quite a bit. I actually loved the field set up - not too many bunkers, but a giant block in the center so it was hard to shoot the middle off the break. But, it was like they consulted with me when setting up the field because on my side of the field there was a lay down rolley, then about 15 feet from there was a small taco, and another 10 feet or so in front of that on the 50 tape was a dorito - all three my favorite bunkers to play. So I was comfortable in them all day long. In fact, I usually made my bunkers just fine and pretty much lived in the taco all day!

Now, obviously, I didn't do it all by myself - my teammates did really well also. I don't have THAT big of a head. Well, maybe I do because I took like 12 shots to the dome all day today... Our captain, Louie, hadn't practiced since March when we had the Storm clinic, and hadn't played in a tournament in a year and a half, and Skinny had only played in two tourneys prior, and is pretty inexperienced. They did pretty good as well. We made a few mistakes - dropped some games we shouldn't have, for sure. But overall, we didn't do too bad!

This was the longest tournament I've played in - we had 9 prelim games (which meant all the other teams had 9 as well) including the other division and were were all mixed in together though we only played teams in our division. They started at 8:30 and we finished the prelims around 2:45. The finals had each team playing 3 games each in the novice level, and 5 games each for the rookie division - we finished all the games around 4:30 or 5:00, I think. I don't know for sure because I was just dang tired!

Oh, I suppose I should tell you how we did - we got 3rd in the finals!

Recap of finals - We only won one game in the finals, and time ran out on me when I was a foot away from the flag in that one. I was literally reaching for it when they blew the whistle and called time - I was so disgusted, haha! It was against the same team that won our division, but I figured if we could beat them we'd have 3rd place for sure. I was fighting it out with one player in their back left can and one in their right side rolley. I was in our dorito on the 50 and saw the rolley guy bump up to the taco. I posted on him and blasted him when he peeked out. Then I got into it with their back guy. Louie was in our back left can and moving up - and their player was totally focused on me. I managed to slip a shot in on him, and ran for the flag but it was too late. 3 minutes goes pretty fast when you're having fun!

We definitely had a shot at second place, though. We had the team that got second place down two to one (I got shot out because I wasn't told my mirror had bumped to the dorito that was 10 feet away - when I leaned out to check that side - POW! I have a nice swollen lip from that one...) They ended up with one player left in the dorito, and our inexperienced guy sort of froze, blocking Louie from moving properly and getting a good shot. Soooo, Louie made a big move and got shot, and then Skinny found his courage and made a crazy move across the field (in the wrong direction) and got shot out. Man, that was a heartbreaker for us. Had I been told about the player moving, I could have probably stuck him while the other two occupied him and we could have walked out with 2nd place.

All in all, I have no complaints. The tourney was fun, I had a great time! Like I told my teammates, we should be extremely happy with what we got - especially considering the level of play we saw today and our lack of practice and playing time. I'm very pleased!

Now, for the fun stuff! My daughters shot these pics with a Kodak Easy Share CD33, so I'm a bit impressed with how clear they are - mostly they were taken from a crow's nest and I was across the field. Before you ask, we played EVERY game on the same end of the field all day today. That's why we're only facing in one direction...

Whups! Getting shot at while loading isn't fun - or easy, haha!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...sSeries009.jpg

See, I actually do shoot out the left side of my bunker using my left hand!

I'm sure there will be more pics later from the field that hosted the event. Anyway, I had a blast and although I'm worn out it was well worth it!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Here's a picture of my fat body - yes, it's shorts, sweaty sleaveless tshirt and flip flops. Oh, and my Soft Ears Sandana (thanks Phil!) because I forgot to take a hat.

I hate pictures like this because it reminds me just how much work I have to do to lose 30 pounds....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...sSeries040.jpg

I hate photobucket when it does this!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

congrats vike! its just like riding a bike.

oh, and as to your link problems, rename your folder(s) with underscores instead of spaces (you won't lose any image links that way.)
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 AM
add 1,794 posts

congrats, sounded like fun
Old 07-28-2008, 05:08 AM
this is my coat of arms and this is my dynasty Uí Fiachrach

Good job! Sounds like you guys had a heck of a time!

Vid of me and my Guitar
derek_owns_a_guerrilla_radio-School buses don't = target practice, Hoss.. 
Hossapher-i shot alot of different types

MR1 Sniper Rifle
Rocket Launcher