Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default So why would I be doing this?

Today, I took out the rail and practiced some snap shooting (a full bag with both hands) cleaned it, lubed it and put in a new battery. Then I changed the batteries in my loader and cleaned it up really well. After that, I waxed everything and Scotch Guarded my pants and jersey....

Then I laid out my shoes, socks, elbow pads, knee pads, pack, pods, masks, gloves, headwraps, sandanas, air tanks, the Shocker, the Rail, the Spimmy and checked my tool box and verified I had all the tools I might need, q tips, lube, rags, etc. Then I shoved all of it, minus the tool box, in my bag and closed it up.

Any ideas why I would do such a thing?

Yup, after more than 2 years, I'm playing in a tournament!

For those of you who don't know, I played a lot of tournament ball for several years - but then I just totally burned out on the attitude of the kids and the whole "scene", plus it became like a job and just wasn't fun anymore, so I quit paintball all together. But, like a true addict, after a little more than a year I got back into it by playing strictly rec (pump, usually.)

Then, after a few months of that, I was asked to rejoin the team (that fell apart after playing one tournament after I quit). I said I would, under the stipulation that I wouldn't be in charge and that it'd be more relaxed and fun. Thus, Picasso Trigger was born.

However, we had a hard time finding a tournament that we could play in. For some reason, Oklahoma just can't support a 5 man Novice level tournament - there are a lot of beginner tournaments, but nothing for someone with our experience. Our only options were to go out of state to play in open tournaments, or play in 3-man. We actually don't like 3-man because usually that's all we could do at our own field...and we wanted more.

Well, this April our field shut down. What's more, we didn't really practice that whole month because we knew about it - and were a little disappointed in the whole thing. In fact, until yesterday when I picked up the Rail and went out back to snap shoot (did a full back with both hands as well) I hadn't picked up a gun in 4 months!

Then, about 2 weeks ago, Louie - our former field operator and captain of the last team I was on (and co-captain with me on Catalyst) and who's been on every team I was on for the past 5 years - called me up and asked if I'd be interested in playing a 3-man series. We've already missed the first two tourneys in the series, but if we play this one and the next one, we qualify to be in the finals and possibly get in the prizes. He told me that he had two of our other teammates on board, but they needed me to make it work.

So, this Sunday, in 104* weather in a hole surrounded by trees with no wind, I'm playing in my first tournment since January of 2006.

Wish me luck!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

Default Re: So why would I be doing this?

first! congrats and good luck vike!

as soon as i got to the paragraph right before the gap, i got a HUGE grin on my face. glad one of us is going to ball sometime soon!
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 07-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

I know - it feels good to be packing things up and getting ready to go again!

It was touch and go on the tourney for awhile, though. I checked yesterday, and only 1 team had signed up for the novice level as of about 9:00 last night (and that was us!) But I got a call at noon today saying there are 9 teams (so far) signed up for the novice level. The cut-off period is tonight, so we'll see how many teams we'll get.

Usually, there's twice as many teams signed up for the beginning level as there are in the novice level, and they play both levels on the same days (mixing the levels up). So, it looks like it's going to be a long day, but hopefully a good one.

I'll try to get some video, and we'll see what happens. Just want to say that we're only going going for the fun of it - not to win or anything (maybe I'm just trying to convince myself!) Especially since we haven't practiced any, so if we laugh and have a good time, I'll be happy. But I'm not saying the competitive part in me isn't struggling right now - it'd be cool to come away with another trophy after so long.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Resident *******

W00t, Go Vike! Win that tourney! You still got it in you, old man, I know you do!!!

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 07-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Hmmm, I'll wonder if they'll let me take the walker out there? Or maybe set the rocking chair up behind a dorito somewhere....

It's not the PSP event we were looking forward to last month, but it's playing and that's what I want to do. However, I wish my wife would just stop "planning" all these things she wants to do while we're in the city...
Old 07-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Cpt of team Lost Cause

GOOD LUCK MAN! Glad to see your getting back into, now show the youngins how to play and it could be worse....could be a 110*

Good luck! and tell us how you do!
Pilot Owners club #64
!Pilot ACS black to blue fade!,
32* spring set,
Calmping Feedneck,
Blue Dye Stickeys-
blackVLocity JR/Virtued

Jersey:Purple DXS (dont ask....)
Pants: Blue Dye C7 or Yellow Stinger Combat BDU
Mask:Blue Vents Avatars (clear[cloudy/rainy] or smoke lense[sunny/sunny]
Pack: NXe 3+2+2
U.S. Army ROTC
Old 07-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Ich will mehr, immer mehr, genau wie du, immer mehr

good luck and drink a lot of water

VS2:Stock, red body kit, 14" 32* Whisper barrel, Fasta
Victor 2:halfbacked, ESP Frame T- Board, VS2 Barrel, Magna Valve, ND Valve Pin, Drilled VA, Polished Striker, Bandit 2 O-ring Delrin Bolt, Custom Trigger, Rex Expansion Chamber, ND Feedneck, T-board
Old 07-25-2008, 06:17 PM
add 1,794 posts

good luck, sounds fun
Old 07-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

Good luck Vike. I havent played in a tourny since around March of 06. Wish there was a pump only tourny around here..even though I'm 3 hrs from Buffalo [Damn you Ace ]

Kick some Oklahoma butt!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Seņor Member

Now If I could just find a team!

Looks like you're definitely set to have some fun. Just don't shoot the ref this time. (J/K)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X