Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Picture and Video Pages
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Talking Made me a Kilt !!!

Well, I decided to try my hand at Kilt-making and downloaded the instructions provided by the X-Marks the Scot forum. The instructions are fairly simple and easy to follow. My only issue…what material to use and what color? I already own a Black Watch Tartan, I’ve ordered my Family Tartan, for which I must yet wait for - and a digital MARPAT Kilt made by AmeriKilt.com (which I use for paintball)…what I didn’t have was something specifically for winter…and especially for paintball.

The instructions provided by the site are intended to create the “X-Kilt” that has 3” box pleats. That’s cool…it uses less material overall and seems easier to sew than a knife pleated Kilt. Since I’m sewing this by hand (no machine available to me), that should be less needle work.
This made my choice pretty simple…white. Now the weight…hmm…playing paintball in the winter can get cold on its own…now wear a Kilt on a snow-covered mountaintop in PA. I chose to use 10oz canvas but I could only get it in off-white. No problem, paintball fields that I attend don’t normally have pure white snow.

Looking at the instructions, the pattern calls for a doubled outer apron and a single layer inner apron. I chose to modify this and make both inner and outer aprons double thick. This would give me extra warmth while running around like an idiot in 20 degree weather. I purchased 3 ½ yards of material for $15.00 and a spool of matching white thread. I also purchased a pack of white ‘sew-on’ 3” wide Velcro. Since the material came ~60” wide, I knew that would be more than enough for what I wanted to do.

I followed the recommendations offered on the instructions and first shrank the canvas in a hot washer and dryer. After plotting out the Kilt on the canvas, I cut the material into 2 sections 23” long (the drop of the Kilt). This way I could sew them end-to-end and have plenty of room to work with.

As you can see, I sewed all the pleats (6 of them) into place…both inside and out. I also gave it a 3” over-hem at the small of my back. I will be using a 2” web belt and this way, the pleats are completely protected. What you don’t see is that the inside of that 3” over-hem extends down the inside to my rump…approximately 8” down to cover the “fell.” I also created a border for the tops of the aprons. This was 2” wide x 19” log (the length of the aprons from hip to hip) when I cut it and then folded it into 4 half-inch folds. This will keep the material from fraying on the top of the aprons.

The bottom hem of the Kilt is the selvedged part of the material. Instead of stitching this, I used liquid thread locker to seal the threads together. It goes on clear and dries perfectly invisible. I also used it on all the stitches I made – in the pleats, the over-hem at my back, everything.

I then stitched the Velcro on the over and under aprons but it runs the whole length of the aprons from hip bone to hip bone.

The majority is done but I’m still working on creating an integrated sporran and finally, I will dye it to imitate PA hardwoods in the winter time. What I want to do is take Rit dye and mimic the barren foliage you see in the snow…tree limbs, sticks and shadows in gray…with just a touch of green (like rogue sprigs of grass coming out of the snow) and those purple vines from Hell.. How am I going to do that? Not a clue actually, but I was thinking that I could either make stencils from sticky plastic contact sheets from a stationery store or dip actual sticks and vines into the dye and imprint it directly onto the material.

I have enough material left over that I want to make spats for my boots…and then dye them to match the Kilt pattern. This should blend better than a solid black boot does.

Anyway, onto the pics…..

All I have to do now is sew on the belt loops and create the sporran...then the dying thing I described above.

Last edited by druid : 07-28-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:01 AM
Bling Bling Bling

Default Re: Made me a Kilt !!!

Druid... You scare me LOL

Nice kilt if that is what you are into.

So you going to make a prison issue kilt to wear at work? Bet the inmates would love that

Trust
*AO*IO*KUSA*PBN*PHOG*
You have been roshamboed
BAMF-Hacker's Mood: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:17 AM
add 1,794 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamf-hacker View Post
So you going to make a prison issue kilt to wear at work? Bet the inmates would love that
LOL and nicely done, you must really have some mad sewing skills and patience (sp?)
Old 07-22-2008, 05:37 AM
THE GAME

I'm not sure whether to applaud your work or call the loonybin and tell them to open up a double-sized padded room.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:39 AM
...to pump or not to pump...that is the question

Very nice...I can't believe you stiched that all by hand, it shows great dedication. I'll have to get some pictures of mine up...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Guatemalan paintball flinging monsta

Quote:

Yup pretty cool if thats what you are into. It almost reminds me of a toga.

Spyder Vs2
-cp clamp feedneck(gloss black)
-shocktech supafly bolt
-empire revolver barrel kit(gloss black)
-cp pro mini asa (gloss black)
-acp stryker
-hyper 2 (dust clear)
-shock tech spring kit
-Virte board

DYE MATRIX 9
-Sly barrel
-Yakuza on the way

Matrix lover
Old 07-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Quote:

LOL...yeah, yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkShadow View Post
LOL and nicely done, you must really have some mad sewing skills and patience (sp?)
Thanks...and I'd attribute it more to patience than skill in sewing - although if you search my name and look at the Greaves and Vambraces I made, I could be calling myself a liar...lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
I'm not sure whether to applaud your work or call the loonybin and tell them to open up a double-sized padded room.
LOL...love you too - HEEHEE. Thanks, you can do both if you like...lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher14495 View Post
Very nice...I can't believe you stiched that all by hand, it shows great dedication. I'll have to get some pictures of mine up...
Thanks. It's more of an "anger therapy" kind of thing...like in "The Demolition Man" with Sly Stalone...lol. Working in a prison thats an average of 101 degrees Fahrenheit, then come home to 3 kids (all daughters)...requires something quiet and time consuming in order NOT to go Postal...lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastystankweed View Post
Yup pretty cool if thats what you are into. It almost reminds me of a toga.
Yeah, thanks. As to a Toga...the Modern Kilt isn't all that dissimilar to a Toga...the Great Kilt is though (of course). The difference between the two are the lack of the attached Plaid (for the Modern Kilt)...and a true Great Kilt pleats aren't sewn in...they are folded by hand and then belted in place - but that's neither here nor there...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:27 PM
No more Pablo San Lucas, you'll have to reset your title because I can't remember what it was

Umm, uhh,

jk. <333
Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Do what you like.

Make me one?
We're the boys of the county hell
Old 07-23-2008, 03:20 AM
this is my coat of arms and this is my dynasty Uí Fiachrach

Good work druid!

Vid of me and my Guitar
derek_owns_a_guerrilla_radio-School buses don't = target practice, Hoss.. 
Hossapher-i shot alot of different types

MR1 Sniper Rifle
Rocket Launcher