Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Cpt of team Lost Cause

Default Re: What do you consider "old school'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pumper View Post
I think some people want the new things and forget where the sport originated. Like pumps, for example. It never stopped, people just didn't recognize it since all the new HK stuff and high electros. Bunch of crap if you ask me.
didnt know Heckler And Koch got into paintball......

sorry sorry...ill go back to my cave.....
Pilot Owners club #64
!Pilot ACS black to blue fade!,
32* spring set,
Calmping Feedneck,
Blue Dye Stickeys-
blackVLocity JR/Virtued

Jersey:Purple DXS (dont ask....)
Pants: Blue Dye C7 or Yellow Stinger Combat BDU
Mask:Blue Vents Avatars (clear[cloudy/rainy] or smoke lense[sunny/sunny]
Pack: NXe 3+2+2
U.S. Army ROTC
Old 07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Hawkeye Luv

I'd say Old School, the feeling not the term, came about in '01 or so for me. I had just entered my first tourny (2-man) with my best friend (there were a group of four of us that started in '95) and I was shooting one of the many forms of my up'd Classic, Manifold Max-Flo and Revvy w/X-board and he his right feed 'cocker, Manifold Maxxy and Revvy w/X-board.

All day, on the other side of the field, there were "electronic" 'guns... Something we had seen in magazines and heard of, but never shot or played against. We did better than we both could have expected from coming from the woods to playing on a Speedball course with inflatable bunkers. I believe we won half of our games.

After that first fateful tourny, we decided to check in to these new-fangled electronic 'guns... and the rest, as they say, is history.

Don't get me wrong, we both still rock both of those pre-historic markers to this day and love every minute of it, but there is something good to say about the ever changing and always advancing sport of paintball.

Justin

Misc. SALE - Cocker parts, Ion spares, Spyder barrels, Stingray & more!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:49 PM
don't let your meat loaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshadow View Post
I don't think of myself as an "old school" player, meaning I played back in the 80's when it first started. However, I do think of myself as having an "old school" attitude in that I feel I have some of the same attitudes they (or the mythology) portray such as sportsmanship, honor, fun, good attitude on AND off the field, etc.
I do think that I am old school. I played my first game around '85 or '86. We had two Nellys and two crossman .3357s. It was just friends and we had fun.
Quote:
So, when did the "old school" era stop being "old school"? Did it stop with the advent of ramping? Or did it stop with the death of pump (in it's previous life - not it's present day reincarnation) and the advent of semi-electric guns? Did it end with eyes and fast loaders?
I don't think that technology had much to do with it. There were always d***s around lookin' to "hurt" or bonus ball people, even with pumps.
Quote:
Or, is it just an attitude of fair play and fun days for everyone, not just yourself?
Plain and simple. IMO, attitude is the biggest factor. I play for the love of the game. I'd go play behind my house, just for the fun. I don't wipe. If you hit me and I can't see the spot, I'll call myself out if there isn't a ref around. I don't "light up" kids or noobs. I want them to have a good time so they'll come back and bring a friend. I love being the "fat guy" that does a run through and takes out half of the other team. It makes it all worth while to do that to a bunch of "punks". One shot gog them. Hard to deny that hit.

/fat guy getting picked last rant

PBNTrust
Old 07-22-2008, 09:12 PM
To the MAX

<_< I haven't died yet. I just haven't been posting cause I have ZERO gear right now....it's still in NC

I think I fall into the oldschool category of attitude. My main gun is a ghetto rigged up EM1 (wtf is that, or nice bushy is what i hear all the time)
I rigged in a Ver A tboard.

But the reason for the attitude, I don't know. I've always felt that making and modifying your own parts to be how you like is more important than making a gun pretty, or making your gun shoot XXbps with such and such 150 dollar loader. Hell, I still rock an old black shell Xboard revvy on all my guns. I still use one piece barrels because I find kits to be pointless if you just have the right paint (stinger paint in the OTP barrel that came with my em1 shoots darts haha)

I really don't like the attitude of newer kids though. A lot of them seem pretty snobby, having that attitude like "i'm better because i have such and such high end EP gun" and I "only" have a "cheap" spyder.

though, I've been out of the paintball scene for uhh....a year now. I have no clue what's what anymore except tuning old spyders and modifying older guns now haha....
man...I need to fix my Z and get my paintball stuff back.

AGH I just realized...MY TANK IS OUTTA HYDRO NOW
freaking lame...not only do I have to find out how to get my regulator off it (i used just a tiny bit too much loctite) I also need to contact the tester on how much it would cost to fix the laminate chip I have near the neck....

My Feedback! (+9/-0)

ಠ_ಠ
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Old school is not only the State of your markers' age or how long you've been playing - but it's also a state of mind...

Old Schoolers never willingly cheat, they don't wipe or play-on. Instead of ridiculing the 14 year old kid for unsuccessfully trying to fix his 'downed' Spyder...the OS'er stops to help him without a desire for any kind of repayment.

...and the amount of time the person's been playing means little...especially if they adhere to the OS ways, which were spelled out above.

...and having a piece of history doesn't hurt either...like my 68 Magnum and working 6-Pack
Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 PM
To the MAX

XP speaking of helping people fix their guns. Once someone was trying to fix his marker (don't remember what kind though) and basically couldn't get it working right at all. Turns out it needed a couple o-rings and a bit of lube that he didn't have, and I had the right stuff, so I fixed his gun and he ended up shooting me the next game haha. Well I suppose that is the best way to say thanks to the person who helped you get their gun working back to top form.

My Feedback! (+9/-0)

ಠ_ಠ
Old 07-24-2008, 01:29 AM
Pimp Luscious

I'd consider myself old school. The first few times I played was back in 97 with a borrowed VM68. I bought my first Spyder in 98, followed shortly by another Spyder, a green camo splashed SE. I used that with a revy for quite some time. I was a Paintball City member early on, and I even frequented the Kingman forums there for a while. I remember those days well, the days when home upgrades didn't have many online resources and tutorials. I remember playing speedball for the first time with my SE, a 16oz CO2 tank, my custom built "2XRevy" which was basically two Revy's put together to have two motors spinning off one set of eyes, a 16" SP AA barrel. It was a blast, I wish I never gave that gun away.

But in a way, that's what I think is part of being old school. I don't have that gun anymore because I upgraded, and I GAVE the gun to a friend to play with. I didn't trade him, I didn't sell it to him, I didn't B/S/T or PayPal him, I gave him the gun. He wanted to get into the sport, but couldn't afford to buy the gun. So I took him to the field one day after I had upgraded to an STO Cocker, and he bought himself a mask, had a great time playing, and at the end of the day, he thanked me for letting me use the gun so he didn't have to use a beaten up rental. I told him to keep it. I showed him how to take it apart, clean it, lube it and keep it running well. And the rest is history, he fell in love with the sport and started playing regularly. I don't remember where he's moved to now, but I'll bet he still picks up a gun and hits the field from time to time.

I still do the same things to date. One of my best friends always wanted to play a few months ago. So I took him out to the field one day, covered all the bases except for his paint. I told him that he needed to cover what he shot, that was it. Everything else was taken care of. I gave him my Spyder "V/RS" and a X-Boarded Revy and turned him loose. I let him go out there and do his own thing for a few games. Then I started taking time inbetween games to explain to him how you pop out of a bunker, how you hold the gun to shoot off the break, what bunkers are important on the field, how to communicate, how to advance up the field without being seen, using angles to create cover as you move, how a Spyder works, etc etc.... By the second time he came out and played with me, he already had bought himself a Flex 8 to wear so he didn't need to borrow some old mask. And the last two times we just played together now, he was rocking a brand new Electra with a Egg3 and a Freak Kit. When he bought the Electra I showed him how to take it apart, properly lube it, care for it, etc. I explained to him what problems a Spyder could have and if they have them, what the common fixes are, what different parts do, how important detents are, etc etc.

The last time I got a group together to play, one of kids that regularly played brought his friend who had a brand new RSX that he couldn't get the noid to click on. I sat out the first game to go through his gun and make it work. I took it apart, lubed it properly, tightened everything up...explaining all of this to him as I did it so he would understand his gun better. I checked and made sure his noid was plugged all the way into the board, and went ahead and grabbed one of my freshly charged 9.6V batteries out of my bag, AND VIOLA!!! His new RSX was up and running. His frown from thinking he got a bad gun and he was going to need to return it suddenly turned into a big smile as he shot his new Spyder for the first time. I told him to keep the battery in exchange for his (mine was pretty much brand new, I only used it in the AMG I picked up once) and I even hooked him up with back and a tip from my Edge kit to show him what a better barrel can do for his gun for the day.

And these are just a few stories. But I think that if you're old school, you can relate to me, because you probably have a few dozen stories like this too. Because those are the kinds of things old school players do. We're not out there to mow faces and look all agg on the field. We're there to have fun and to make sure those around us are having fun too. We invite first time players out and loan them our back up guns. We take the time to show new players how to take care of their equipment and how to play better on the field. We don't wipe. We don't over shoot. We do things like build our own speedball fields in our friends backyard and then get a couple dozen of our friends and relatives hooked on the sport. We take the time to actually talk to people and help them out. That's old school, because if you're old school, you don't see paintball as this glitzy, Ego shooting, HK Army, party. You see paintball as a sport with so much potential to grow still, you remember when NOBODY had heard about it, and the only people you played with were those who you got into the sport with you and maybe a few other people. For you, every new player who enjoys the sport, who has fun at the field everytime, and who eventually comes to love the sport, is one more person stronger and bigger that sport you yourself love just got. Strength comes in numbers, so the more people you can get to play, the stronger the sport becomes. And the way you do that is the real old school. The old school of before paintball, before even TV, the old school art of just helping people out, taking care of them and making sure they are happy.

I'm not old school because I started playing back in the mid to late 90s before electronic guns and HPA systems were the norm. I'm old school because I look at paintball and think about what I can give towards paintball first, and what I get from paintball is a by product of that attitude and my actions. I consider myself personally responsible for this still very young sport. Most people have only ever heard of it. They probably haven't ever played it, or even seen it. And how I introduce them to it, and how I act, has a great deal of influence on how they see it, and how they accept it. I am responsible for their views on paintball. You're responsible for what any new player could take from sport. Act accordingly.
  • Spyder Imagine
  • AMG T-boarded w/ Eyes
  • Angel LCD...the old broken ripper (will be working again soon)
  • Most..parts for a old 98 Cocker...

Last edited by VicReschke0626 : 07-24-2008 at 07:19 AM. Reason: I suck a spelling when I'm tired at 3am, but better at it the next morning when I re-read what I wrote.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 AM
add 1,794 posts

well said^
Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Spyder Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Old school is not only the State of your markers' age or how long you've been playing - but it's also a state of mind...

Old Schoolers never willingly cheat, they don't wipe or play-on. Instead of ridiculing the 14 year old kid for unsuccessfully trying to fix his 'downed' Spyder...the OS'er stops to help him without a desire for any kind of repayment.

...and the amount of time the person's been playing means little...especially if they adhere to the OS ways, which were spelled out above.

...and having a piece of history doesn't hurt either...like my 68 Magnum and working 6-Pack
amen!
05 Pilot ACS - SPPS Dragon tail trigger, 50 gram switch, CCM feedneck, ACP Bolt, Sticky 3's, Trinity -7 deg. V/A, Rocket Valve, DH Titanium Striker, BL Torp., T board w/ Eyes, Cp Direct Mount On/Off, 275 fps@250 psi

VS2

Black to Olive PM6

"All men have fear. The brave ones lay it down and go forward...some unto death but all to victory!" - Kings Guard of Ancient Greece

OLD FART CLUB MEMBER
My Feedback
Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Old Enough

Old School to me was when there were no electronic guns yet, the VL2000 was at it's infancy and HPA was still in development. Having your tank anti-siphoned was tricked stuff back then.

I remember when the motors on the VLs were still on the outside attached by rivets and the battery was held in place by velcro all in an external compartment. We used to call it "the kidney loader" because it was shaped like one after the refined version started coming out which resembles the current version.

So basically anything or anyone that started playing before '92 and you're now 35 or older then you would be considered "Old School" in my book... but then again I can go earlier than that if you guys want to know about "Older School"...