Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default What's your opinion?

I was watching Youtube today and one video I saw inspired me to write this post.

1. Do you think something is happening to paintball now?

2. Is it a good something or bad something?

3. Do you think it's dying off or getting stronger?

4. Does the paintball community actually support itself, or is it tearing itself apart in the struggle to be tough and look "agg"?

As always, I have a definite opinion on these questions, but I'm looking at getting our minds working and some GOOD debates going - liven up the place, of course!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:29 AM
I didn't do it...No witnesses survived

Default Re: What's your opinion?

I had a huge vike-like post written up, I deleted the whole thing. Yes, something is happening, I think it revolves around the fact that paintball has become a business now, instead of what is was before. This is tearing apart the community as it fractures into haters/supporters.

Personally, as a player who is firmly planted as a rec player, all this nonsense they are spewing makes me want to leave the community and just play.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to
go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will"
Ronald Reagan
Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 AM
this is my coat of arms and this is my dynasty Uí Fiachrach

I personally, think that people have lost the "spirit of the game", as it were and are turning into thugs (read: agg).

Vid of me and my Guitar
derek_owns_a_guerrilla_radio-School buses don't = target practice, Hoss.. 
Hossapher-i shot alot of different types

MR1 Sniper Rifle
Rocket Launcher
Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 AM
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
I had a huge vike-like post written up, I deleted the whole thing. Yes, something is happening, I think it revolves around the fact that paintball has become a business now, instead of what is was before. This is tearing apart the community as it fractures into haters/supporters.

Personally, as a player who is firmly planted as a rec player, all this nonsense they are spewing makes me want to leave the community and just play.
I agree with critical on this one.. paintball is turning into more of a business than a fun, sport. I wasn't around for when it first started.. but I know that at one point, players had a different mentality about the sport. They weren't thinking like... oh he bonus balled me so im going to shoot a whole hopper at him.. they just.. had fun and weren't as competitive as todays players.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:16 PM
don't let your meat loaf

I am just a "walk on" at the local field. I have a few core guys that I play with but not enough to get a team going consistently. I find that it is tough to play in a pick up game against the home team and usually find myself going 3 on 1 at the end. It doesn't bother me because the home team guys are cool and I try to help them by reffing or cleaning bunkers btwn games. I just keep my gear ready so I can jump in at any time.

What I saw this weekend disgusts me to no end. I just came off the field and was reloading my gear. Our "Home" team was playing another group of guys who are about the same "level" competion wise. The "Others" have a bad rep of being over shooters, over speed shooters, wipers, gripers and every other poor sportsmanship thing you can think of. Their captain gets a hopper hit off the break and thinks nothing of wiping it. He was in back left can, which is right by where we were sitting. He kept playing and ended up getting sweetly bunkered. After the match when questioned about it, he says that he didn't get hit and that he was having hopper loader trouble, which is why he was messing with it. I saw this junk all day long and did more running while reffing than I did while playing. It just doesn't make sense to me: If you are there to practice, then why are you cheating? What happens when you do that crap in a tourney? They will probably have more than two refs there and will be able to watch better so you will a higher chance of getting caught. Then you get penalties and you'll lose. If it is an honest mistake and you don't feel the hit then that is cool.

Sorry for the rant I just had to vent. I think that type of mentality is what is hurting the sport. Just like 'roids hurt baseball and video cameras have hurt football. Don't cheat. Have some pride. Be a warrior. Have a code of honor.

PBNTrust
Old 06-23-2008, 12:27 PM
robbin' da hood

ya theres a field out here where ppl to the same thing.Its was at the rec ball field so it was bigger field with one ref and loads of places to hide where the ref cant see you.So it was my first time out there and i was doing pretty good getting 2-3 ppl out on average a game i had electronic gun they had rentals.But there were these guys that wiped to no end!For instance i hit this one guy in the mask hopper and reg at the same time!He popped down wiped it all and shot me out! Worst experience at a field ive ever had and the ref didnt see it so their was nothing i could do about it.He also continued to cheat during the whole time we were their.It really ticks me off when people cant have some fun and play instead of cheating it sucks the fun out for everyone else that just wants to have a good time.
trinity clamping feedneck
free cocker and crossfire tank!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Resident *******

I hate people who think that gun hits don't count, especially when they're blindfiring and I lit up their hopper...

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Cpt of team Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshadow View Post
I was watching Youtube today and one video I saw inspired me to write this post.

1. Do you think something is happening to paintball now?
Yes I do, I see more of the industry going more into rec/scenario ball, where 90% of us are

2. Is it a good something or bad something?
Well both....its great that Compaines are trying to make better, and at tiems cheaper equipment. Though yall may complain when compaines are buying others, builds it into a mainstream market, and happens everywhere else.

3. Do you think it's dying off or getting stronger?
Tourny ball (no matter how fun it is to play), isnt apealling to outsiders, specaily parents, cause you see how shot up the people get. Though if more coverage went to the sceaniro, or maybe even rec part, you woudl see a increase? Thoguh in my oppion its getting stronger, we all hit bumps, and its up for the vetran players to step up and be role models...

4. Does the paintball community actually support itself, or is it tearing itself apart in the struggle to be tough and look "agg"?
Once again, this is where im torn, I see some great Players, (like ones who have helped me out, by teaching me better technique, or how to keep gear better/cleaner) and i try to get people involved with our sport all the time (speacaily girls, I just don't see a lot...) and anybody who even has a intrest I'll help them out if i can. Though I see this alot (particulary when a father/son combo go. Though I have also see the (insert other name)/jerks, who light kids up for no reason, or the 12 year olds using their parents money to go get Ego's, and then never take care of them! that just drives me up the wall, then they go and say everyone elses gun sucks (yeah my piolt acs aint the greatest, but its what I have, and I get a kick for shotting them out by just walking the trigger while they are raamping) sorry for the rant

As always, I have a definite opinion on these questions, but I'm looking at getting our minds working and some GOOD debates going - liven up the place, of course!
so....um...yeah....
Pilot Owners club #64
!Pilot ACS black to blue fade!,
32* spring set,
Calmping Feedneck,
Blue Dye Stickeys-
blackVLocity JR/Virtued

Jersey:Purple DXS (dont ask....)
Pants: Blue Dye C7 or Yellow Stinger Combat BDU
Mask:Blue Vents Avatars (clear[cloudy/rainy] or smoke lense[sunny/sunny]
Pack: NXe 3+2+2
U.S. Army ROTC
Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Weeeee!

I think people have forgotten that paintball is supposed to be fun. Fun for everyone. Not just the guy shooting people at 15bps. It isn't fun for a new member already scared to get hit for the first time to get hit 15 more times right after that.

Want to help grow our sport? Help a new person out on the field or make them feel welcome. Don't overshoot people that are new and just show them that paintball is fun.

I have seen way too many kids that no longer want to play because their first time out some guy decided to play like it was a tournament and own everyone on the field. Way to show off your skills on people that don't even know what they are doing.
Romans 6:23
“God never promises to remove us from our struggles. He does promise, however, to change the way we look at them.”-Max Lucado
The most he did was die for me, the least I can do is live for him.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Guatemalan paintball flinging monsta

I really cant say for you guys because i live in Guatemala. what I can say for me is that I started playing paintball April 07 and I started off with an mr1, I wasnt the greatest player neither was my 12 year old brother and everyone at that field was great to us.

There are only 20 players who take it seriously and play paintball as their main sport and they left a great impression and made us love this sport.
Any issue I ever had they helped me without even thinking of it. The older guys tought us how to play and I have so much fun im there every sunday 11-5. Now that i know a little bit more about paintball thanks to Checha( the field owner, he plays every chance he can and even though he doesnt make that much money off of us expierienced players but, he always tries to bring new air bunkers in and make it a better expierience for us) Team Percast, Team Ravens, Team Armagedon, all of you guys on Spyder Forums and all the refs who have become great friends of mine, I try to help as many people as I can.

I've even made my own team( Young gunz) and what I try to enphasise with all my players is to keep it clean and just have fun thats why we are out here anyways.

Sure you will get the hotheaded noobs but, it doesnt take long for them to stop that crap attitude.

I have also met some of my best friends throught this sport and I am extremely thankfull for that.

Spyder Vs2
-cp clamp feedneck(gloss black)
-shocktech supafly bolt
-empire revolver barrel kit(gloss black)
-cp pro mini asa (gloss black)
-acp stryker
-hyper 2 (dust clear)
-shock tech spring kit
-Virte board

DYE MATRIX 9
-Sly barrel
-Yakuza on the way

Matrix lover