Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > General Spyder Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2008, 04:09 PM
What is it that keeps drawing me back to buying a Spyder when I can buy any other gun of my choice?!?

Post New HPA Tank

I wasn't sure where to ask this question, but... I was thinking about getting an HPA tank to finally replace my crappy CO2 tank. What's the difference in between 4500psi and 3000psi, like, do they perform differently? Right now I'm looking into a 72ci 3000psi tank. They run about $65, but then I saw that a 68ci 3000psi tank, (smaller), cost much more than the 72ci 3000psi. So I'm kinda confused about that. And if anyone could tell me the difference about the pressures and tanks or suggest a good tank for my VS1 that would be cool. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Default Re: New HPA Tank

You really should use the search feature, as this has been beaten to death already...

...but the difference in the psi rating is how much pressure the tank can safely hold...either 3000 or 4500 psi. (actually, the tanks hold much more than that but that's what the regs' burst discs are rated to). The reg should equate to the same pressure...4500 bottle=4500 psi reg, etc.

The difference in cost is normally because of construction.

Steel=cheapest but is the heaviest.
Aluminum=next expensive and a bit lighter.
CF Wrapped [aluminum]=most expensive because carbon fiber isn't cheap to manufacture. It's wrapped over (sometimes a thinner-walled) aluminum tank to increase the hull integrity of the tank, while dropping it's overall weight.
Tank size is the volume, which is measured in cubic inches (CI) and I already explained the psi. so a 68/4500 is 68 CI@4500 psi and so forth.
Tank regs are divided into 4 groups...low, medium, high and adjustable pressure. The difference is how much air passes through it within a given time frame.
I'd tell you to get a HP tank [reg] for any spyder, tippman, SP Ion or similarly designed marker that has an in-line regulator.
LP tank regs are for markers that most can't afford until they are beaten to almost uselessness. In other words...unless you use an Angel, Timmy or similarly expensive marker, you won't need it and in all likelihood - can't use it because its pressure is too low.

So...what does all this mean?
Get whatever HP [regged] tank you can afford.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Seņor Member

Druid basically covered it. I'd watch though because the Air Compressors some of the fields use only support 3000 psi fills. A 4500 psi capable compressor costs about twice as much (and the regular ones cost enough!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X
Old 06-06-2008, 08:29 AM
What is it that keeps drawing me back to buying a Spyder when I can buy any other gun of my choice?!?

Okay, cool, thanks guys.